3DCoat Forums

Feature Request Save Retopo Curves

grfxman

I'm just getting started with 3D Coat and am truly enjoying the Auto Retopo Wizard.

One thing I am looking for is a way to save the curves you use to describe Polygon flow. There are several times that I would like to go back and change the Initial Wizard Settings and it seems redundant to keep redrawing the curves each time.

Is it possible to save these curves so one can redo the Wizard Multiple times easily?

Or an option would be to have Back Forward Arrows on the Wizard to allow testing Multiple Settings.

I agree, this would help a lot in this otherwise fabulous operation.

Further I'd like to be able to select single or several strokes to Delete them.

I agree this tool has huge Potential. But I'm testing it to make game models, and the ability to set a maximum poly count leads to several rebuilds to find the amount of Polys that are truly needed. If I set it to too few I have to rebuild all the curves each time. This is actually slower in the case of the star fighter model I built to test this feature. When I build a humanoid I have a fair idea of what is acceptable for a maximum poly count. But when its mechanical with 50 -60 parts it leads to a lot of guessing to get a final game ready model.

P.S.

If any forum Moderators view this post the forum is Not sending me notifications when I receive replies from my posts even though I set it to do so. :)

• Reputable Contributor

I agree, this would help a lot in this otherwise fabulous operation.

Further I'd like to be able to select single or several strokes to Delete them.

The strokes you make will remain until you clear them. I can save the file, leave the app and come back to restart the AutoRetopo procedure, and as soon as I move to that step (strokes) in the wizard, those same strokes are still in place. Just because you don't see them when you UNDO or something, doesn't mean they aren't stored and waiting. They are.

As for deleting strokes, you can do that. Simply click on the line you want to edit/delete. It then is highlighted in white, and you can delete it.

There are some things the Auto Retopo tool is REALLY good for and others that it's not. If you want precise polyflow, even when you put down proper guide strokes, you will have some clean up left to do. It can get you pretty close, but it's still having to do a lot of guesswork. That's why I really don't waste time trying it with characters. The manual Retopo tools are pretty darn fast as it is.

I think clothes, non-animated objects in a scene, and such is where you would find more benefit using Auto Retopo. Using the Strokes tool 80% of the time, you can knock out a character Retopo much faster than you might think, As the body is made up of cylindrical shapes, and then with the facial retopology, you can just trace where you want your edgeloops, and hit ENTER. If you have your character sketched out, you might try to get in the practice to drawing the topology over the face in Photoshop, or you could render out a front view of your sculpted Character (before you start Retopo'ing the face/head), in the Render room, and take that over into PS and do the same thing. That way you can more quickly hash out where you want to put your topology, and use the Strokes tool to trace it in short order in the Retopo room.

• Advanced Member

As for deleting strokes, you can do that. Simply click on the line you want to edit/delete. It then is highlighted in white, and you can delete it.

I've tried that many times before - somehow I expected the curves to highlight at Mouseover already or by deliberately clicking between

the Curve-Vertices (as I did not intend to edit these). But now - by actually clicking one of the Vertices it finally worked!

Thanks - that helps a lot.

It's funny I'm still not being notified when people respond to my post.

Well I'm testing to see if saving the scene with the Wizard/Curves are active to see if it saves it. It would be nice to see theses curves ( and all scene objects ) in some kind of scenes graph if possible.

At this point it took 1 Day to make the test model and we are at 4 Days getting it out of 3D Coat. And this is still missing UV's and textures. As opposed to 3 days for everything in traditional tools.

I'm hoping to improve these times since this is our first attempt with the program.