3DCoat Forums

Basic StarTrek Hardware

themacguy

Well... Thanks to lots of friendly input in the Forums, and a reasonable amount of time mucking about...

Here's my first semi-decent, well-thought-out-in-ADVANCE piece of modelling...

The basic modelling is okay--proportions are a bit "off" I think, but the components are scalable...

The textures are impossibly too clean and smooth... I still havent gotten ANY "subtle" results

(after figuring out the AUTOPRO button, when right-clicking on a layer in the model layer window...

---any "painting" I do on the mesh, comes across like I've vomited 20 gallons of lumpy latex goo

all over the "mesh"...

How do you get "just enough but not too much" of simulated "wear and tear" without having to chuck it,

and start over from scratch... (which I've had to do many times... I don't think I have enough system RAM

to load some of these meshed objects... 3DC freezes up on me about every 15 minutes or so..

I think you'll recognize the model.... a passing resemblance, for now... Comments and constructive tips WELCOME! :-)

post-4148-12928446537255_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I think you'll recognize the model.... a passing resemblance, for now...

You aren't the only aged person here, to have watched the original series back in 68-69 (was a delay in greek tv) is a privilege. (I have all the dvds of course)

Your version is too simple. But reminds me the style-design of TOS. It could be a miniature in a room of enterprise.

As for 3DC, do it the right way. Watch carefully a topo tutorial (Javis Jones has a great one with a spider, I think). Do this manually it isn't so hard. Bake it then and paint nice textures and materials. The best way to learn the basics of 3dc. The best app for these actions out there.

• Advanced Member

How do you get "just enough but not too much" of simulated "wear and tear" without having to chuck it,

and start over from scratch...

use layers in painting. you can paint new layers without messing up previous layers. you can change one layer, or delete it with out messing up others.

I still think you have the wrong mindset in your modeling. You are adding primitive objects together as if using a polygon modeler.

You are not using the power of 3d-coat. After you merge in your shapes try using the smooth brush to blend them together to make them look as one object.

You need to check out this video if you haven't already.Since you seem to like the hard surface modeling, and spaceships.

Spaceship Modeling (it's the bottom video on the page)

This really shows the power of 3d-coat hard modeling. You might not be aware of these tools. a lot can be done quickly using only a few tools.

Tom