3DCoat Forums

3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)

Psmith

I have been trying to do this, but I have NO experience with 3D Coat and not very much with Blender. When you say, hold the right mouse button down and scroll to the right to make the sphere larger, it makes the brush larger. The sphere remains the same. I do notice, however, that your sphere is red, mine is not. An option I need to mark??

If you are using the standard "Sphere" tool, when you hold down the right mouse button and drag to the right - yes, the brush size gets larger, but the Sphere that will be produced by single left-clicking will match the size of the brush.  It's a quick way to generate spheres of all sizes and positions.

You can also produce spheres by using the "Primitive" tool and scaling it with the "gizmo".

If you want to produce a network of connected spheres, which produce cylindrical tubes - with an ending hemispherical shape, you can use the "Curve" tool - (which produces spherical "nodes" that are colored red, as you described).

To produce the body of the Rat, you can either place a single sphere using the "Sphere" tool - and then "Move" it straight upwards with the "Move" tool (having X symmetry enabled) - or you can use the "Curve" tool to place a tapering network of cylindrical tubes - that can also create a neck and head - arms, legs, fingers and toes of the Rat.

Greg Smith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Greg, 

thanks for these excellent tutorials. They seem deceptively simple, but cover quite a bit, and are very helpful. 

You have the best voice of any I've heard, and very calm & well prepared. Appreciate your efficient delivery.

Rats aren't my favorite subject, but I'm pretty sure I can model an alien spaceship with just these 7 tuts.   ;)

Any chance you will do one on displacement mapping, e.g. the Engineer's ship in Prometheus? 

So far, 3DCoat is much more intuitive to use than ZBrush (an amazing app, but frustrating for me). 

I'll keep going through these 7 tutorials & all the tips till I get a handle on 3DC, 

but hope you'll do some more.  

Edited by 3dcal

3dCal:

I've thought a lot about making several "paid" series for 3D-Coat, but I am unsure what the demand would be.

I have some pretty specific tastes in 3D modeling and animating - and like to stay within the bounds of my own interests.  I also like to be able to use a single application to take a project from a thought - all the way through to a final rendering and even an animation.  3D-Coat, alone, is not quite equipped to do this.

If anyone is interested in a detailed set of videos featuring the producing of a natural landscape with trees, shrubs, grasses and water - along with some decaying technical artifacts having come to rest in this natural environment - all made with 3D-Coat - let me know - and I'll put together a series.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Ok, thanks. I just realized there's a Part II thread here as well, so will

go through it all till I get the hang of it.

Have you ever taken a poll to see how many would be willing to

pay for a set, and how much? You're a natural for video tutorials.

You remind me of Neal Hirsig....he has a great set for Blender.

3dcal:

I hate to beg.  Those tutorials have been on the 3DC site for a long time - and I should have heard from a significant number of users by now.  That is why I don't know if there is enough demand.

Now, if you really feel that more tutorials should be made by me - and you want to put in a plug - just write Stas an email and let him know.  He pays for stuff like this to be made by people like me.

3dcsales@gmail.com

Thanks for the good review,

Greg Smith

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial as well!

It pretty much got me going with sculpting, having never finished any kind of sculpt at all.

I also have a desire to make cartoon characters, and this additionally showed how easy it is to get a character going (ahem), from scratch!

I plan to take one of my How to draw cartoons books one day and sit down with 3DC and see how I make out reproducing some of them in 3D.

One again, thanks for your series.

-Will

Will:

You are quite welcome.  I'd love to see some of your "drawn" cartoons and how you translate them into the 3D versions of themselves, FROM SCRATCH!

Can you post some links for our enjoyment?

Greg Smith

I haven't tried yet, Greg - cartooning is a desire I haven't taken the time to explore or practice all that much yet.

The Rat tutorial shows how easy it is to get a character going, so it makes me want to try based off of some of the characters in my various cartooning books.

-Will

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for these tutorials, I'll likely be going through them over the next couple days. 

Can I ask a quick question? I'm currently on the trial for both 3D Coat and Substance Painter, sort of trying to decide which one to go with (I know some people use both, but I'm looking to learn one, for both simplicity and financial sake). 

My question is in regards to PBR and various brushes. WHAT exactly defines the PBR in 3D Coat, is it solely the use of Smart Materials, or can you paint with basic brushes and add PBR functionality to your piece? Just a little foggy on the whole thing, any clarification would help. 

Again, thanks for the tuts. Videos and communities like these help people a ton. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Kiwi-Hawk said:

Kia ora

I just logged in as a new use and tried to view these tutorials, BUT it's telling me mime type not supported?  what do you guys have that Firefox don't?

Hi! And welcome to the forum. :) I would Right Click>Download As the files, and play them through a video player like VLC. You'll have no such errors in this regard.

As for attempting to play them through my browser (I'm using Chrome), the reason is because apple has stopped support for quicktime videos on Windows, and most browsers actually play them any longer, unless you're running an older version of a browser that supports that file type to be played directly from within the browser.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30.12.2010 at 23:49, Psmith said:

Merhaba:

Kendim yeni bir kullanıcı oldum ve herhangi bir yeni 3D-Coat kullanıcısına 3D-Coat'a güzel, sorunsuz bir giriş (ve ötesi) vermek için gösterilmesi gerekenler konusunda bir hislerim olduğunu düşünüyorum. en güçlü, en eşsiz işlevselliği.

Youtube Bağlantısı  - Part1

Bölüm 2

Bölüm 3

4. Bölüm

5. Bölüm

------------------------------------- 

Eski bağlantı, bazıları artık çalışmıyor.

Sıfırdan 3D Kat, Birinci Bölüm

Bölüm iki

Bölüm üç

Dördüncü Bölüm

Beşinci Bölüm

Bölüm Altı

Sıçan Boyama, Bölüm Yedi

İşte herhangi bir yeni kullanıcıya hızlı bir başlangıç yapması gereken kısa bir video dizisi - özellikle nispeten basit şeyler yapmak için birçok uygulamaya ihtiyaç duymaktan ve kullanmaktan bıkmış olanlar.

Greg Smith

links is dead

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic