3DCoat Forums
Psmith

3D-Coat From Scratch (Video Training)

You can use AUTOPO as a starting point for adding topology to this model of yours. I believe you could use the same kinds of guides that I demonstrate when using AUTOPO for the Rat model. That part of the tutorial is worth watching a few times to see how to progress from using no guides to using a lot of them - and what kind of result to expect.

The face will be the hardest to get right - and you might refer to the Pirate tutorial for an example of placing guides and density shading to get an acceptable result.

Greg Smith

well i was able to retopologize with auto top but there's a huge gash in the eye so i kinda have to do the eyes myself. Not that big of a deal but im getting there. I was wondering if it was a good idea to raise the approximate polycount to a higher amount sense the object was a whole body. you weren't kidding about the face its really hard to get that right but im still practicing. the eye on your left is the one with the huge gash in it and the one on the right im still working on. How could i have avoided this problem from happening if u know? thank you sir 135353211592.jpg

135353298027.jpg thanks for your help with all of this. If im bothering you just let me know I dont really mean too.

One thing that helps before you run AUTOPO - increase the resolution of your sculpt using "Res+" till you are using 71mb of memory - or larger.

Also, using the default "3000" is probably far too small a number for overall polygons, since your sculpture includes the whole body. Try 12,000 and see what you get.

Trial and error is the key.

Greg Smith

Mike:

The closest I've gotten to "success" with hard surface, rectilinear objects, is to place guide strokes very close to the hard surface edge, (on both sides), which produces a rectangular grid of quadrangles, fairly close to these edges and, also, across all surfaces.

Spherical objects are best "guided" by placing "all the way through" guides, in a rectilinear fashion - the sphere is then treated like a "spherized" cube, (ala Blender).

But, AUTOPO has not really been engineered with hard surfaces in mind.

There is an interesting development in this kind of auto topology, though, that's happening with the guys from Groboto. Their routines are excellent, and now nearly anything can be modeled by means of boolean functions, inside Groboto, (very cheap and intuitive to use). Using this pipeline, it now becomes possible to make hard surfaced objects over there and import them for texturing inside 3D-Coat.

Check it out: (make sure to read the "Mesh Structure" section).

Groboto 3 Auto meshing

Greg Smith

I have groboto, but I'm on windows , so it's missing features, and judging by their lack of any responses on their forum for some time now... I'm afraid I may never get that upgrade I already paid for... It's fun to play with, but without equal features to the Mac version.... it feels like I bought crippleware.... It does make nice meshes, but with the way its' interface works now, I can make similar looking models in 3D-coat or Z-brush more quickly even if it takes more planning. I also have issues trying to use Groboto with my Wacom tablet.

Nice vids by the way... I watched most of them some time ago before ever purchasing 3D-coat.

I'm watching the "Rat From Scratch" video tutorial which appears to be made with an older version on 3D Coat. I've been able to translate everything to V4 just fine until the 4rth video.

I can't get a Sphere and a Cylinder in the scene at the same time. When I click sphere in the Tool Option (which is in a free floating window and not on the right side of the screen like it shows in the video) the cylinder disappears. If I click cylinder it reappears but now the sphere disappears.

Thanks! That did the trick. Loving the software so far.

Any newer videos for beginners? Like for the new version? :)

I have been trying to do this, but I have NO experience with 3D Coat and not very much with Blender. When you say, hold the right mouse button down and scroll to the right to make the sphere larger, it makes the brush larger. The sphere remains the same. I do notice, however, that your sphere is red, mine is not. An option I need to mark??

If you are using the standard "Sphere" tool, when you hold down the right mouse button and drag to the right - yes, the brush size gets larger, but the Sphere that will be produced by single left-clicking will match the size of the brush.  It's a quick way to generate spheres of all sizes and positions.

You can also produce spheres by using the "Primitive" tool and scaling it with the "gizmo".

If you want to produce a network of connected spheres, which produce cylindrical tubes - with an ending hemispherical shape, you can use the "Curve" tool - (which produces spherical "nodes" that are colored red, as you described).

To produce the body of the Rat, you can either place a single sphere using the "Sphere" tool - and then "Move" it straight upwards with the "Move" tool (having X symmetry enabled) - or you can use the "Curve" tool to place a tapering network of cylindrical tubes - that can also create a neck and head - arms, legs, fingers and toes of the Rat.

Greg Smith

Hi Greg, 

thanks for these excellent tutorials. They seem deceptively simple, but cover quite a bit, and are very helpful. 

You have the best voice of any I've heard, and very calm & well prepared. Appreciate your efficient delivery.

Rats aren't my favorite subject, but I'm pretty sure I can model an alien spaceship with just these 7 tuts.   ;)

Any chance you will do one on displacement mapping, e.g. the Engineer's ship in Prometheus? 

So far, 3DCoat is much more intuitive to use than ZBrush (an amazing app, but frustrating for me). 

I'll keep going through these 7 tutorials & all the tips till I get a handle on 3DC, 

but hope you'll do some more.  

Edited by 3dcal

3dCal:

I've thought a lot about making several "paid" series for 3D-Coat, but I am unsure what the demand would be.

I have some pretty specific tastes in 3D modeling and animating - and like to stay within the bounds of my own interests.  I also like to be able to use a single application to take a project from a thought - all the way through to a final rendering and even an animation.  3D-Coat, alone, is not quite equipped to do this.

If anyone is interested in a detailed set of videos featuring the producing of a natural landscape with trees, shrubs, grasses and water - along with some decaying technical artifacts having come to rest in this natural environment - all made with 3D-Coat - let me know - and I'll put together a series.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Ok, thanks. I just realized there's a Part II thread here as well, so will

go through it all till I get the hang of it.

Have you ever taken a poll to see how many would be willing to

pay for a set, and how much? You're a natural for video tutorials.

You remind me of Neal Hirsig....he has a great set for Blender.

3dcal:

I hate to beg.  Those tutorials have been on the 3DC site for a long time - and I should have heard from a significant number of users by now.  That is why I don't know if there is enough demand.

Now, if you really feel that more tutorials should be made by me - and you want to put in a plug - just write Stas an email and let him know.  He pays for stuff like this to be made by people like me.

3dcsales@gmail.com

Thanks for the good review,

Greg Smith

I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial as well!

It pretty much got me going with sculpting, having never finished any kind of sculpt at all.

I also have a desire to make cartoon characters, and this additionally showed how easy it is to get a character going (ahem), from scratch!

I plan to take one of my How to draw cartoons books one day and sit down with 3DC and see how I make out reproducing some of them in 3D.

One again, thanks for your series.

-Will

Will:

You are quite welcome.  I'd love to see some of your "drawn" cartoons and how you translate them into the 3D versions of themselves, FROM SCRATCH!

Can you post some links for our enjoyment?

Greg Smith

I just realized that these are the same Rat tutorials I watched on YouTube when I first discovered 3D Coat. They were a great help and thanks for recording and posting them. 

Edited by BringItBack