3DCoat Forums

3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)

Psmith

• Reputable Contributor

Getting started with this software is not easy, I appreciate this leg up. =) Wanted to join in saying that Blender is actually the fastest animation software around once you know how to use it.

Fastest in what regard? Rendering, Character Rigging and Animation, Modeling/mesh editing speed, viewport performance....? Not debating that it is or isn't, but that is such a broad statement and trying to figure how you quantify it.

Fastest in what regard? Rendering, Character Rigging and Animation, Modeling/mesh editing speed, viewport performance....? Not debating that it is or isn't, but that is such a broad statement and trying to figure how you quantify it.

Too true. I shouldn't make such a sweeping statement. I'll rephrase: "I find Blender's workflow with the NLA editor to be the fastest method for me of any program I have worked with. The ability to have complete control over timing by refining your individual actions, while being able to see and control the entire sequence in the NLA is seamless, and you can achieve very refined animations quite quickly. Combine that with Blender's impressive linking system, and you have a lean machine built for animations of any size. IMO."

Of course I am looking at productions involving several sets and characters, Daz/Poser may be better for smaller projects, I just find the interface clunky. Can't say much about Maya, never used it, but I prefer Blender over the other major packages. (C4D, XSI, 3DS)

Greg wanted to say thanks again, I've followed completely through once, I am going to give it another go and maybe have results worth posting :).

I have a fellow Blenderhead which really wants to watch this series but is having trouble with the download, I must admit it was cumbersome for me as well (slow down speed, some files were corrupted and I had to re-download). Any chance of uploading them to youtube or vimeo? I will upload them if you want. Everyone can benefit from this tutorial, and it should be more accessible.

3Dementia: I love your moniker - and totally understand - maybe even sympathize, though from a slightly different perspective.

Yes, these videos are quite "top heavy" and the 3D-Coat official website is sometimes too slow - so YouTube would be fantastic - especially if we could maintain the HD size and quality.

You could do me a wonderful service by starting a "3D-Coat from Scratch" section on YouTube. I'm kind of swamped with other 3D-Coat duties, at present, and any help you could render would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to do many more of these kinds of videos, as time permits - so, if you could humbly attach my name to this section and provide a link right here in the "Tutorials" section - this would be great!

Greg Smith

Unfortunately I don't have it, I'm trying to search but I don't think you can search for a specific user. of course I may be remembering wrong and there is no site. :lol:

Well I got on the task of uploading before I saw this post. Uploaded the first video to

then after it was uploaded, I found the channel from the suggestions. Looks like the videos are already there!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat#g/u

No need to duplicate the effort. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, 3dementia just posted a link to it and I thanked him.

I see. I didn't read his post. Yeah, it should be listed from the tutorials section on the mainpage. Right now it just lists vimeo's official channel and videos on Youtube with 3DC links

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to express my appreciation for this series. After spending much time searching for a workflow to what is a potentially powerful but admittedly confusing program, I found these videos. Now, at long last, I know what I'm doing.

Or, at least, I like to think I do. :rolleyes:

Articulate, simple, concise, very well done. Very good way to give someone a definite methodology to get results without getting overly technical.

Previously, it felt like I was trying to hammer in a nail by holding the hammer by the head and using the handle.

I even like the dramatic intro for each video.

3D Coat... from SCRATCH!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is more than excellent. It's a perfect introduction to the programme. I'm very new to 3D Coat actually I heard about it by accident, searching another forum for tips on modeling. I stumbled across a debate about the programme and decided to download the demo. That was almost two weeks ago. Suddenly, I'm watching as many tutorials as I can (even purchased one) to get up to speed.

I'm not a modeler, more of a compositor/generalist and the Zbrush/Mudbox route is attractive but too expensive.

But, 3D Coat? It has a more attractive UI and I suspect can perform just as well. Obviously the retopo tools are a exceptional. Again, I don't know Zbrush or Mudbox at all but I'm curious if people who create base meshes in 3D Coat then go to ZB or MB for fine detail are doing it because they're already comfortable with those programmes or if there are advantages in creating finishing details there.

It just seems to me (a novice) that 3D Coat can do the same.

Again, these videos are extremely helpful. Thank you PSmith.

• 3 weeks later...

Edgedeep:

Sorry for the delayed reply - and thank you for your comments.

In my opinion, if 3D-Coat is used in the "order" that I present in these tutorials, similar, and even better results can be obtained in 3D-Coat, alone, than spreading the work between the other 2 apps you mentioned.

The secret lies in working with voxels, one level of detail at a time (only adding resolution when absolutely necessary) - and coupling this with a skilled use of the AUTOPO tool set. Maybe, if you need precise geometry placement - using the manual Retopo tools to modify what AUTOPO produces brilliantly, in the first place.

And, the good news is that things will get better - when 3D-Coat offers a complete set of polygon modeling and sculpting tools that rival and exceed anything available in the marketplace. At this point, there should be no need for anyone to model, sculpt, add topology and texture with any competing program.

Greg Smith

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys!

I am a newbie here and hope to be here for a long from now! You know why? Because my story looks like the exactly story of the Edgedeep guy that have posted above!!

And so I found 3D-COAT and what??! I am "producing" already!!! Wow! You know what - MANY THANKS, for the member PSMITH for doing this EXCELLENT VIDEO-TUTORIAL!! It deserves a 10 of 10 score for sure! Congratulation PSMITH, surely your tuto helped SO MANY 3-COAT users and so on!

My second THANKS goes to the member PHILNOLAN3D!! Man you have helped me too!! That simple TIP you gave some posts ago for the member "newbie" about the Cylinder and Spheres to make the RATS TEETH just have FINISHED with my brainstorm!!! For just ONE SIMPLE - ENTER KEY -!

Thank you for all of you!

Hope this post gets approval from the moderators as I do not know why my posts are needing review..thats okay! I am enjoyning 3D-COAT! Thinking buying it as soon as before the trial version evaluates... :rofl:

Regards,

Rodrigo - BRCosta.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Every new user's first few posts get moderated so don't worry it's not you. An unfortunate step we had to take after getting bombarded with spam a while back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-1999-0-32464500-1313639718_thumb.jppost-1999-0-32464500-1313639718_thumb.jpThankyou for an awesome series!! One of the best tutorials in presentation, voice over, content.. that I have seen in a long time..

I agree with your comments re not needing other applications depending on your workflow.. I have zbrush, I have messiah, I have blender, I have lightwave, and even Toonboom Animate(which is fun) (maybe modo Geothefaust!! :drinks: ).. but the one I use the most for all my modelling and painting is 3d coat. At the moment the workflow for me between 3d coat and lightwave has been great but the ease of modelling and creating textures is just awesome.. Check out my simple simple simple rocks, trees and mushrooms.. all done in 3d coat.. lietrally all modelled, retopo'ed and painted in 30 - 60 minutes (I cant remember.. but my coffee was still warm when I finished!)

By the way.. you had me at 'using the move tool'.. dont know how I did anything without it!

All the best

Andrew

• Like 1

I own ToonBoom Animate, too - but, for me, it's just too complicated to use (to be fun). These days, if it's not fun, I don't bother much. I've spent too many years tearing my hair out with learning "workarounds" - just to accomplish simple things that . . . well, I don't want to spend my time doing that, anymore.

I love what you made there - and the time it took is just right - SHORT. Nothing should take us as long to make as it usually does - not when there is software like 3D-Coat. And coffee should never get cold.

Actually, the only reason I'm still involved with 3D stuff is to make cartoons. That is really all I ever wanted to do, in the first place. 3D-Coat is the perfect place to start, (and nearly end), the process.

I've tried to talk Andrew into including some kind of rudimentary animation system into 3D-Coat, but he is hard set against it. Oh well.

Others see 3D-Coat as a serious technicians tool - and it is that - but that's not why I use it.

Soon, I'll be posting my second set of "From Scratch" videos - this next one is slightly more realistic (The Proverbial Pirate). Big project, really, so I'll be presenting it in chunks.

Thanks for tuning in,

Greg Smith

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic