3DCoat Forums

Force quitting 3DC will freeze OS

BUILD: 3.5.05 and the latest beta builds

HARDWARE: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 16 GB ram, NVIDIA GTX 285

BUG DESCRIPTION: Any time 3DC freezes, and I need to force quit, my entire system freezes and I need to do a hard shutdown. Console records no messages except that 3D-Coat has been terminated. For some reason, 3DC can't be force quit cleanly without it affecting the OS.

Hi,

Is there any other information that might help narrow it down? Such as, other programs that are open when this happens? Any particular hardware such as a Wacom tablet (and it's current driver) being used when this happens?

What driver version do you have for your video card?

You mentioned you're using the latest beta build, which one exactly is it (other than the 3.5.05 build)?

ADDITIONAL HARDWARE: Wacom Intuos3 (6.1.5-2 driver), Lynksys USB 2.0 Hub

GTX 285 Driver Version: 1.6.24.17 (256.00.15f04)

CUDA Driver Version: 3.2.17

I've tried the last few beta builds, the last one being 3.5.08A.

This will occur when 3DC is the only app open. I do have some 3rd party system helpers (FinderPop, Butler, Growl), but I've quit them all and it doesn't help. My last resort would be to do a fresh install of OS X and 3DC on an external HD and test from there. I'm hoping I won't have to do this, however.

Hi, thanks for the additional information! Is this still occurring?

I definitely wouldn't format a drive or anything like that, I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I will pass it on to Andrew!

Update:

I installed a fresh copy of OS X 10.6 on a partition of one of my internal drives and tested 3DC (3.5.08A) once again. I'm still getting the same freezing behavior of both 3DC and the OS. I'm able to move my cursor, but the screen is frozen. Keyboard input is dead as well. Perhaps my hardware setup is causing me problems. However, I also use Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., and I've never had such a problem where an app would cause my OS to hang like this.

It may not be the problem but Please, take this away as soon as possible.

Yep, I heard that there can be issues with USB hubs, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Update 2:

I restarted in Safe Mode (enables only essential kernel extensions), and tested 3DC. I was able to consistently hang 3DC and force quit with NO freezing problems to the OS. 3DC, however, ran really sluggishly and screen redraw was a problem. My voxel objects kept vanishing on me until I refresh the view. Cinema 4D, on the other hand, while slower than normal, was not noticeably affected by Safe Mode. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of Mac OS X and 3DC can figure out what's going on here.

• Advanced Member
Cinema 4D, on the other hand, while slower than normal, was not noticeably affected by Safe Mode

Of course, have you tried to load c4d with a huge amount of polys? In safe mode, no OGL is running.

Try zbrush, its a cpu depended app. Doesn't use much gpu power.

3dc uses GPU a lot, OGL for the mac build.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to say that I too am seeing this freezing bug. So far I haven't been able to identify a repeatable crash so I realise it's not very helpful but just saying that this is not an isolated incident.

My machine is just a bog standard 4GB Macbook Pro which I use for light 3D work for fun.

I only bought 3D-Coat a few days ago, my first project was the rat tutorial and this freeze occurred 4 or 5 times while I was following the tutorial instructions.

Really hoping you can fix this SOON as it's bad news having to forcibly power down the machine to get out of this freeze, I'm not looking forward to hard disk failure or worse.

My guess is a shader or something is crashing the GPU which always renders ( 'scuse the pun ) a Mac useless.

Please do your best to fix this asap as I think 3D-Coat is superb, this bug however makes me almost afraid to use it.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a29

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3560

gMux Version: 1.9.22

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Hello, SilverCity! What shader are you using? I mean have you noticed any dependency between selected shader and freezes of 3D-Coat? Maybe freezes occur only with specific shader(s)?

Sergyi, I can get 3DC to freeze using the default green shader. My main concern is that force quitting 3DC will cause my system OS to freeze, requiring a hard shutdown. Now, instead of powering down from the power button, I ssh from another computer to restart the frozen machine. While this is safer, it still takes time away from doing actual work.

I have a feeling that maybe my graphics card is not compatible with 3DC. I'm looking at either the ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5870 as possible replacements. Anyone have experience with these cards and 3DC?

Yes, seconding SilverCity on this.

The problem is not that 3D-Coat crashes or is unstable...

The problem is that WHEN it crashes 3DCoat cannot be quit and force-quitting 3d-Coat causes OS X to freeze solid.

ie when the app has crashed or is not-responding to user input or any other OS event and you try to force-quit, 3DCoat causes the OS-X kernel to crash.

This is pretty much only possible when the GPU crashes or some other terrible event happens with hardware timing.

I've seen this event on another app when a GLSL shader caused the GPU to crash and I've seen similar when a faulty graphics card caused problems.

I cannot think of any other app that can cause this amount of damage to the system when it crashes.

The only way out of this is to power down the machine by holding the power button until it turns off.

not good !

• Advanced Member

Its a GPU related issue. I use an Nvidia but the very right column of pixels has a weird color noise when running voxels room. The card is normally cool but it gets rather hot in 3dc. The ventilator is a little noisy. Thats normal. Even good news. The trouble comes after quitting 3dc, it remains noisy until re-booting OS. Its a GPU issue, never happens in VGs or other 3d apps. It turns unexpectably hot under retopo room or render room...

Some mac users still waiting for a 64 bit build. We cant go there before the GPU issues are solved.

• Reputable Contributor

Sometimes 3DC may become unstable if Options.xml gets corrupted in some way. Try to delete it in

user/3D-CoatV3/Options.xml

and

Applications/3D-CoatV3/Options.xml

Andrew, it's getting to the point where I'm having to delete the Options.xml file once a week or more frequently. I just had 3DC freeze up on me (WIndows 7, complete frozen) twice in a row after finishing UV's and merging to Microvertex scene (default settings). It's crashed more on me in the past few weeks than I'd seen in months previously.

Everyone, who gets system freezes, please try to download and run this test for several hours on end. Please post the results here - do you get system freezes when running it for several hours or not. This test is based on the same engine as in the upcoming 64-bit 3D-Coat for Mac OS X. Pay attention, that the window should be active, and you should disable screensaver.

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/Frame_Test.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I dont have OSX. Instead I am using Vista (the devil I know) but I recently had to do a hard shutdown cause 3D coat locked up my OS just from me trying to import an object for UV layout. I agree that 3D coat is a very useful program in the pipeline so I hope someone has or is close to finding a solution to this.

• 4 weeks later...

reproduced. Force quitting 3d-coat hangs the mac requiring power cycling to recover.

macbook pro 2.53 ghz late 2008, nvidia geoforce 9600m gt. osx 10.6.6

wacom cintiq 12wx with driver 6.1.6-4

i also ran the above frame test for about 4 hours without crashing.

hope this helps.

• Advanced Member

@sergyi

Running your test without problems.

Om a macpro (2 nehalem xeon 16 threads, 12 GB ram, nvidia) or 10.5.8 (macbookpro 17 -old, ATI x1600, 2 GB ram, though bad performance as expected).

Never had kernel panic, I had one in 2002 (osx 10.2) LOL.

I'm lucky I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Good news, this time.

Here's what I did:

1. Uninstalled the Mac CUDA drivers (I actually thought I had tried this before, but can't remember if I did or not).

2. Updated to the latest NVIDIA driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx-256.01.00f03v7-driver.html

Now, according to the release notes (Please note that if you are running the Quadro FX 4800 for Mac or the GeForce GTX 285, you do not need to upgrade to this driver), this upgrade has no changes for the GTX 285. I upgraded anyway, even though I had the previous latest driver installed.

So, maybe the CUDA drivers were the problem. I assumed that since 3D-Coat for Mac didn't utilize the CUDA architecture, I was okay having the drivers installed on my Mac.

I tested force quitting with 3DC 3.5.08A, since I can always freeze the app with the Clone with Symmetry command. 3 times I was able to force quit 3DC with no effect to the OS. Hopefully I solved my problem, but I think more testing with the latest builds will be needed until I'm totally satisfied.