3DCoat Forums

3D Performed By Small Segment of the Population

Psmith

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, where is my old school debating notes.Opps that's right never had any notes forgot to take that class, darn.

Yes, I can respectfully deny your supposed phenomenon as pure observation. It is the reason we disagree. You say it's pure facts, I disagree. How can I concluded that your facts or true or not as there is no basis for me to form an educated opinion on the matter except you say it's true. Remember, I have been here years too.

The only person who can confirmed the inordinate amount of influence on future development or past development would be Andrew himself. Which I think, I rather leave in his hands and I will just use his software. In business it is a good practice to learn from others but also one as to take in account the person himself. I ran a painting company. I chose to keep it smaller and work very high quality jobs. I could have followed a business plan that made my company larger, painted more houses by lowering the prices to attract more home owners, in a sense more users. Now I have no idea what Andrew wants to do. whether he wants 3DCoat to be his main money maker or he has other projects that generate income for him and this is one of his many business ventures. There is no way for me to know that so what I might think is a good business plan might not fit his. Anyway Greg, this is where we both chose to disagree but I know we can still converse in helping each other use this great software that Andrew has developed.

My (very brief) personal thoughts on that particular topic...

Make a Professional application, and it should be plenty for a hobbyist. Professional features and tools are what these hobbyist will eventually use if they plan to go pro. Designing a tool or toolset with pure simplicity in mind is not the way to go. Doing so will cause a few things:

1. Bad image of the application
  2. "Good enough" syndrome
  3. Lowest common denominator customers ie. Cheap, but want everything from every other app and are negatively vocal

As someone said before, elegance in design is the way to go. Having a tool being "simple" will only limit what a user can do with it. Having multiple layers to a tool for those who wish to use it in a more advanced way or customizing it completely while still retaining the "simple" version? Elegant and more useful.

My 2 cents.

Javis, Javis - How can you hold such views?

Now, I assume, when you say "tool" you mean the entire app.

Bad application image . . . Simplicity of interface does not breed this kind of generalized, (even professional), opinion. Sculptris and what happened to it and its developer provide contrary evidence to this premise.

The "Good enough" syndrome is handled by publicizing the SDK - allowing 3rd parties to make whatever new tools are needed and wanted.

Lowest common denominator is definitely NOT what I'm referring to. Not simple or easy for their own sakes, but to provide instant, deep, highly functional access to a wide variety of users.

All I can add to what I've already voiced is, Simple to use but Deep in Function.

This takes care of first and second impressions among users.

And, what is "cheap"?

We both agree upon "Elegance of Design". But, I think you should clarify what you mean by "multiple layers" - I know what you are talking about, but could you elaborate for the sake of others?

Also, we may have rocket builders among us - but we aren't flying them anywhere. This is art we are talking about - not engineering.

Greg

• Advanced Member

@Psmith

The majority of 3d community seems to have a different opinion than yours. You also misunderstood the use of topology. You still refusing to understand it, I'm afraid so. You probably know a better way, or, you can imagine a better one.

So, lets talk about these dreams, these are dreams anyway.

Talking about dreams, its much better to post our creations here and talk about art, really. The best way to help each other. And help Andrew.

The existence of some weird guys, working in some industries and asking for some simple 3d tools, I never met them, they never helped me, they don't understand my needs. Museums helped me a lot though. The athens academy or fine arts helped me a lot. Teachers were painting side by side with students there, I'll never forget what I learned this way.

I insist, we need a lot of tools, functions, plugins and inputs outputs. Lot of apps, the more they are the best it is.

• Advanced Member

OK, do you know how many users are in zbrushcentral on line now?

Are you asking me to stop saying my opinion? No too often, OK.

Not to post too often here? OK.

I'll try.

My turn now.

I may ask you to post your artwork more often, to comment artwork of others more often to be a member of this community of loudspeakers. Tutorials aren't enough.

You could have more fun this way and you could be more helpful. You could make a tutorial about the sensitive thighs-hip area, how autopo works there. :drinks:

You may have noticed that I'm always complaining when 3dcoat isn't working. I never asked for fireworks, I don't like them.

Michalis:

Ask you not to post so often? Not at all, not at all.

Create more art and critique others' art? No time, sorry.

I have very little interest in human anatomy. I find very little entertainment value in it, myself. I got into 3D to make cartoons - that's it. I'm afraid that's the extent of my 3D enthusiasm. I'm not the right guy for the job you suggest.

As for critiquing others' work, I'm seriously not qualified. That job is for others, not me.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

No Psmith, you are qualified. We're trying to be a community here, what else can we do? Sorry for the offense, just for the conversation here, thats all.

I don't expect cartoons or VG industry to give us a new movement of modern art. It will happen underground and from individual persons. Industry will follow of course.

:drinks: