3DCoat Forums

voxel color painting

gakuz

It may already exist like this topic .

I think voxel tool has completed a bit longer.

well probably We has continued to need to better tools in voxel modeling.

Remaining request is Voxel color painting .

after convert to polygon,anable to paint texter. but IN my workflow this Feature is needed for being first step modeling .

• Reputable Contributor

It may already exist like this topic .

I think voxel tool has completed a bit longer.

well probably We has continued to need to better tools in voxel modeling.

Remaining request is Voxel color painting .

after convert to polygon,anable to paint texter. but IN my workflow this Feature is needed for being first step modeling .

You have shaders that you can apply to different objects in the scene, and some of them allow you to apply texture maps. However, I don't see the need for getting ahead of the process and painting textures before one reaches that stage. The primary reason being that there are no UV's on the object. How would you work that out on an object that is still in it's formative stages?

You can always work on individual parts, keep them on a separate layer, and then retopologize (either manually or using the Autopo feature) them separately. Once done, you can manually mark seams and Unwrap (from inside the Retopo Room), or merge to Ptex (an elegant auto UV feature), and then Paint on it, once merged into the Paint Room.

• Advanced Member

Eventually having vertex painting available in the voxel room would be nice. It would probably be limited to surface mode painting/sculpting and would be erased if the object was moved back to voxel mode. More than once i've wanted to paint some color (more than just different shaders) on a sculpt, render and call it done. Adding the option to import/export vertex color maps would be handy. This would probably be a low priority feature, though it's been requested a few times already.

Usually in my work ,UVworking is the last.

I think voxel modeling lend itsself well to do rough modeling.

In this time I want to look coloring in this rough model.

I must retopo work several times ,because after texture work I sometime wantted to remake this model.

Autopo is very usufull.but Retopo work is basically hard work.

• Advanced Member

A voxel object doesn't have any fixed surface there to paint. It would be like painting on a clay sculpture before the clay was dry.

as soon as you did anything to your sculpture it would screw up the paintjob. what would be the point?

Tom

• Advanced Member

That's why I mentioned that vertex painting would probably only work in surface mode (poly count stays the same along with vertex ids i'm guessing). And if the sculpt was sent back to voxel mode, all the color info would be lost.

• Reputable Contributor

A voxel object doesn't have any fixed surface there to paint. It would be like painting on a clay sculpture before the clay was dry.

as soon as you did anything to your sculpture it would screw up the paintjob. what would be the point?

Tom

Exactly. I think the OP's best workflow would be to sculpt (in Voxels) to a medium res or medium-high res, Retopo, UV, and do the high-detail sculpting in the Paint Room. That's one of the best things about 3DC and one that many tend to overlook. The versatility of having two different sculpting models: Voxel Clay and Image-Based scuulpting (PPP paints live normal map relief and MV paints live displacement map relief). You actually have a third sculpting model (polygonal) in the Sculpt Room...it's not intended to be a full-featured toolset...just an extension the Image-Based model.

This is how Sculpting was handled before voxels were ever introduced. Also, keep in mind, if you model outside of 3DC and import it in, you do not HAVE to retopologize. You can import the same mesh you merge into the Voxel Room, into the Retopo Room as well. This way, it serves as your Retopo mesh, and that is what you will bake all your detail to.

You'll be prompted if want to snap it to voxel model. Click on YES, and periodically you can pop into the Retopo room and click "Snap" so that it updates to conform to any changes you make.

That's why I mentioned that vertex painting would probably only work in surface mode (poly count stays the same along with vertex ids i'm guessing). And if the sculpt was sent back to voxel mode, all the color info would be lost.

mu~

I think Advantage of the 3DC in all modeling application may be freedom from polygon architecture. and yet if it will back to the polygon, I feel usually many many Severe task is coming.

well...

can`nt "voxel world" deform ? like `Lattice`tools in maya ?

I imagine voxel "point" dos`nt need to have ID like polygon vertex.

I think better that voxel space has coloring ID.

Like 'Fruid' in Maya.

Impossible?

Just I want to express My images directry.

• Advanced Member

I think better that vexel space has coloring ID.

I think this was mentioned somewhere here before. Colored voxels would be possible, but adding a color value to each voxel would add tremendously to the memory required for that voxel object.

Think about it. Right now a voxel is either on or off. one BIT. If it had color it would also have to have 24 BITs to describe the color of that particular voxel. I'm sure things could be compressed in a similar way that a bitmap is compressed. but even so. It's a lot more information to keep track of for an object.

Also, how would you color a volume if you painted on it's surface? How far down would the color penetrate?

I think Advantage of the 3DC in all modeling application may be freedom from polygon architecture.

This advantage only applies to the separation of the initial creative process from the later inevitable technical process. Voxels doesn't free you from polygons, it just pushes them farther down the process pipeline.

Tom