3DCoat Forums
Guest rouncer

greeble tank

:good:

I believe what michalis was getting at is that exporting a decimated hi-poly tri mesh isn't the best mesh to export.

3d-coat has some great retopo features to make clean meshes from the voxel sculpts, although for this type of kitbashing doing a retopo may not be worth the effort.

Not sure if you're merging all the voxel shapes together but you might want to look into kitbashing with instancing to help performance and cut back on retopo work.

@rouncer:

I hope for you, you build all seperate parts on seperate layers... if not, you will not have much fun, when retopo them later. Looks nice. The autoretopo routine will help but can't create wonders.

Sorry in advance on highjacking this thread. I have had a hard time getting these greebles to work and almost just gave up on them. It looks really cool but having a hard time installing. I downloaded the pack. It is in a zip format. I unzipped the pack. Went to file>install pack. I noticed it has a .3dpack extension. I went to where I unzipped it. There is no files to select there. Doubled checked the folder that I unzipped it to, its there but when I go through File>install pack 3DCoat doesnt recognized it. What am I doing wrong?

Just wondering, I don't see much boolean operations here. Why not importing them as obj without dropping them to voxel environment? 3DCoat as a simple obj library then. ;)

mwgrafx... sorry i cant remember how i installed the nurnies pack, i think maybe you access a menu and you go "install addon" or something. but 3dcoat comes with some ok greebles already just to get started with.

Im making a voxel game, so hipoly meshes are all I need and its all 100% realtime... helps when you can code too. :)

you are right michalis, tho... but union is a boolean operation too, but you need to subtract 10% of the time

so im glad 3dcoat gives you the privelidge to do this too... but your right, just souping together shapes is a cool way to do this kind of modelling, and it isnt even tricky to do.

But for some strange reason, until i saw them make a space ship in a 3d coat demo movie, i woudnt have thought of it.

169044_1720069276574_1083561841_31685997_2475812_n.jpg

heres a shot of the models rendering realtime in my prototype voxel engine (the floor is 8192x8192 voxels, each square 256x256), which supports infinite worlds (which i wish theyd add to 3dcoat for infinitely sized and detailed models!!!), this way i dont need retopo anyway.

In my opinion, the guy that wrote 3d coat was a genius, I cant get anywhere near his speeds for a poly model to voxel model convert, im still working on it. :)

Im making a voxel game

UNBELIVABLE!

you will be my hero 'course I think that this is unreachable.

At least - if you will make such an engine - creators of 3d coat will took you at there programmers stuff I think - 'course

this will axellerated voxels section.

Ive got my own voxel engine i can just insert 3d coat voxel models into. that mountain is about 50 lines of code, its generated randomly. you make the first level of detail, then you make the next, and so on till its down to a grain of sand.