3DCoat Forums

LW topology smooth on import?

insignet

• Advanced Member

Hi...

Wonder if anyone can help... I'm sure I'm not clicking a check box or something but when I bring a painted mesh from 3DC to LW 9.6 the mesh becomes smoothed out. For example I will have a head model in LW... export to 3DC do the UV, paint etc then export it out again to LW. When back in LW if I compare the original LW model to the newly imported version the sharpness to the mesh has been smoothed out. I will try and send a few snap shots to illustrate what I mean. My work around is BG conform inside LW using my original model in the BG layer...then tweaking the vertices to match the original... if you can help... thanks :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Hi Phil

Thanks for your response. I have included a few screen shots to illustrate the issue.

1 - import.jpg shows the import settings I use when bringing my model in from LW to 3DC.

2 - I paint on the model etc then get ready for export

3 - export.jpg shows my export settings from 3DC saved as a LWO ( no maps saved on the screen shot as its just an example )

4 - difference.jpg shows the difference between the original LWO mesh ( background layer black ) and the imported 3DC mesh ( white mesh ). You can see the definition in the chin and nose has been reduced on import.

My work around is to use Background conform which snaps the new mesh to the original, not a great solution as it takes time to tweak.

I'm not sure if my import/export settings are wrong?

post-2115-12947336512861_thumb.jpg

post-2115-1294733660553_thumb.jpg

post-2115-12947336831739_thumb.jpg

Yes I tested and see the same thing. 3DCs subdivision method must be different than LightWave's, I wonder if that is causing it. Would it be possible to work in micro-vertex mode instead of per-pixel? I have done that plenty of times with no problem.

• Advanced Member

Thanks again... Will try it... not used it before, but if it works then it will be cool. Do you think its a bug and worth submitting or just as you say a differing sub-D approach that causes the change in geometry?

• Advanced Member

Tried the micro vertex paint option and I get the same results. I haven't read anywhere else of this problem so I'm thinking it must be something I'm doing. Anyway I have submitted to Mantis.

If you are merging mesh with subdivision and then export low poly mesh then vertices will be smoothed. There are several workarounds to prevent this:

Workaround 1:

Use "Use source positions". In this case 3DC will export exactly the same positions that was imported. It is most common workaround. Disadvantage is that if you sculpted mesh you will not get sculpted mesh, but initial one.

Workaround 2:

Use "Coarse (sharpen) mesh...". In this case sculpted details will be perserved, but precission will not be as absolute is in case 1.

I think your chice is (1), but look (2) just for experience.