3DCoat Forums

symmetrize

Mr_Nitro

Hello,

maybe there's already a solution so I'm sorry if it's redundant... but here it goes:

I find myself in this situation: very big voxel object, for some reasons it went bad with symmetry sculpting, so it's not perfectly

symmetric anymore, so now I need to cut it in half, duplicate with symmetry and merge..

but with a big object it a little awkard and prone to errors to do that by hand each time..etc

so one useful tool could be be one that :

1.Select the layer you want, apply Symmetrize, pop up that ask which part to keep, hit ok

2.then it cuts and discard the unwanted part according to the current symmetry settings

the duplicate and mirror the good one, and merge it into a new layer.

let me know if I missed something thats already exisiting:)

my2cnts

mrn

Hello,

excellent, that's it!

Also maybe it would be nice to have it on the right click on layer commands? or in the Symmetry directly too, just saying..

Great work anyway... this is what modeling had to be ages ago:)

cheers

mrn

There is Voxels->Apply symmetry. I think it does exactly what you need.

The source side is last changed side.

excellent, that's it!

Also maybe it would be nice to have it on the right click on layer commands? or in the Symmetry directly too, just saying..

Hi Andrew

I do agree with Mr_Nitro. I have often been looking for this feature too, without ever finding it, hence Ive been spending a lot of time on painstaking workarounds. Definitely the "Apply symmetry" feature should be assessable from the symmetry menu and maybe even from the right click on layer commands roll-out.

Also it would be great if the transform tool did respect when symmetry was turned on, similar to how it works in ZBrush and Sculptris. This, I believe, would save some of us a lot of time.

Cheers

-Martin

• Reputable Contributor

Hello,

excellent, that's it!

Great work anyway... this is what modeling had to be ages ago:)

cheers

mrn

You have the "Symmetrical Copy" icon at the bottom of the Vox Tree (layer) panel.

Also I think it would make sense to move the "to global space" button to the symmetry menu (currently it is located in the right click on layer commands roll-out). I might be all wrong here (has happened before), but as I see it, this feature is pretty much related only to symmetry, and a feature you would indeed use just before you apply symmetry to your object.

-Martin

• Reputable Contributor

Also I think it would make sense to move the "to global space" button to the symmetry menu (currently it is located in the right click on layer commands roll-out). I might be all wrong here (has happened before), but as I see it, this feature is pretty much related only to symmetry, and a feature you would indeed use just before you apply symmetry to your object.

-Martin

That's a good idea, or place an icon for it at the bottom of the layer panel as well. I have to use it ALL the time as it seems 3DC easily loses it orientation and I've had to set global space multiple times on the same object in the same setting. It gets a bit annoying having to dig through a right-click menu for that each time.

• 4 years later...