3DCoat Forums

Surface noise

kirkl

Kirkl:

The only thing that is really similar to this function, in 3D-Coat, is the use of "Shaders" as they are found in the Voxel Room. Zbrush's noise is procedurally based and so are some of the Shaders in 3D-Coat. But, they are only good for internal rendering within 3D-Coat, itself.

You can apply 3D-Coat Materials in what appears to be a "noise" fashion - and this is quite fast - but it is manually applied and depends upon your own skill to make it convincing. Materials can contain Color, Displacement and Specular information - speeding manual painting application.

I actually prefer the manual method, since it makes it much easier to overcome that "computer generated" appearance - so typically seen with many procedural 3D renderings.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member
The only thing that is really similar to this function, in 3D-Coat, is the use of "Shaders" as they are found in the Voxel Room. Zbrush's noise is procedurally based and so are some of the Shaders in 3D-Coat. But, they are only good for internal rendering within 3D-Coat, itself.

I missed something? I constructed my own shaders, I gave them a bump value. When baking in MV or PPP these bumps can be captured as normal maps. Before baking its good to have ambient and contrast at the lower value. The normal map captures the bump noise automatically. The funny is that I use a similar method in zbrush. I import the bumpy 3dc UV texture map to zbrush, convert it to alpha and have some interesting displacements, better than the surface zb noise.

• Applink Developer

One way doing this is to use fill tool's modulation type. Using these with zreeze tool you can get very interesting results.

here is brief video.

Also good tip is to create two diffrent kinds of noise in two separate layers. Then playing with "depth blending mode" and you get some

interesting noise patterns.

But I have to admit that zbrush surface noise is very nice tool because you can control the noise pattern with the curve.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips. That fill modulation is what I saw I think . It's pity it don't work in voxel mode too.

michalis. Could you tell a bit more please about baking shaders to MV. It seems to only bake the color information on my end. Not sure where I should decrease the ambient and contrast.

• Advanced Member

Cool thanks for the tips, very useful :)

Procedurally based surface noises would be very useful voxels tools. Procedural/Interactive weather effects would also be very cool, i had a few quick ideas a while back -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4306&st=0&p=33438entry33438