3DCoat Forums

Hi all! It is me again with beta. I thank to everyone who takes part in testing betas, it helps me much to develop 3DB quickly. So, the new version 2.05 BETA2

1) Masks are implemented - I think it is very convenient improvement. If someone have good masks that could be used without license limitations, please send it to me.

post-1-1201628424_thumb.jpg

2) Layers masking (linking) is implemented. You can undestand what is it by pictures below

3) Additional parameters "U/V offset" in custom material.

http://www.3d-brush.com/files/3d-brush-2-05-beta2-en.exe

post-1-1201627946_thumb.jpg

post-1-1201627958_thumb.jpg

post-1-1201627974_thumb.jpg

post-1-1201627994_thumb.jpg

post-1-1201628008_thumb.jpg

post-1-1201628052_thumb.jpg

exellent! i love it. really like the navigations icons added to the characteristics of preview, didn't notice if they where there before but a really nice touch.

if i could suggest one more thing it would be an invert option for the new mask feature. (black becomes white, white becomes black ...)

edit (another thing that would be good is a tolerance slider for keycolor freezing and smoothen freezing) sorry i guess these options are there at the top of screen they're just named differently.

but, playing with settings makes me wonder if it would be possible to make these options interactive. this would mean you could do a freeze brush stroke (or any brush stroke for that matter) then move the sliders and have the result update with the new values. this would save alot of work because now if you do something and its dosn't look right you have to ctrl+z, adjust sliders, then try again with new settings, sometimes this needs to be done over and over. if the sliders where interactive (live update) you could just do brush stroke once, then adjust sliders till you're happy with result. currently you're kinda working blind with trial and error.

please don't take any of my suggestions as an insult, i love 3DB, i'm just suggesting different ideas that may make your program even better. ;)

• Advanced Member

2 suggestions :

You should add a 'Snap to 45 and 90 degrees'options when you press the shift key while rotating the mask.

you should add a gamma curve for the masks, brushes and testures in general.

best.

F.

• Advanced Member
You should add a 'Snap to 45 and 90 degrees'options when you press the shift key while rotating the mask.

Yes, its really missed.

this would mean you could do a freeze brush stroke (or any brush stroke for that matter) then move the sliders and have the result update with the new values.

Also good idea, if its possible i also would like to see this in 3db.

P.S.

This software grows really quick, a 4-5 month ago when i first tried it, i not even looked at it seriously, i seen a few interesting futures like draw with spline, but is was overall buggy and i uninstalled it fast.

But now i see VERY useful peace of software, with many GREAT and unique futures, easy to use and also easy yo understand the logic behind it, So, if i were a developer of some texturing\detailing packages i would really worry :rolleyes: And if 3db developers would add more sculpting tools, so competitors have to fear even more :rolleyes:

Thanks for such a great program!

About freeze on the fly... It is easy algoritmically but how to insert it int interface...

the sliders are already in place at the top of the screen? just make it work to automatically update when a setting is changed. but please make it work with all tools not just freezing. ;)

another thing i noticed is that sometimes you can forget freezing is applied, and you're trying to do something and can't figure out whats wrong. maybe if geometry thats frozen would flash red or something when you try to edit it, this would help. also i think that there should be a quick off/on (toggle) button for freezing, maybe beside the ortho/perspective toggle (top left).

BTW, love the new masking features. :D

is there any way to make the layer masking carry over to PS?

also have you given any thought to:

since 3DB is saving a .PSD file out to photoshop why dosen't it send 4 PSD layers for every 1 3DB layer? 1. color, 2. specular, 3. displacement(bump), 4. (transparency(alpha) or mask), this would be a great addition for editing in photoshop and make 3DB a superior program.

The problems with PS:

1) The file with all channels will have HUGGGE size, it will take many memory to create ot

2) The depth channel will be saved as 8-bit, it is not enough for good quality

But:

I can store depth& specular in comment "Sync layer with external editor"

About repeating last action with altered params: yes, I have sliders, but I should have some button that turns on/off this mode, because in most cases you will change params for the next strokes, not previous.