3DCoat Forums
Sign in to follow this  
michalis

A darker project

Having fun with groboto, All base meshes there, sculpting in zbrush. Of course I had to retopo in the end (3dc) Rendered in zbrush BPR.

• Like 1

Your work gives one the impression of walking down those ancient halls being kept company by statues of stone...

Between romans, tibetan monks and my mother, there is something ancient, loneliness. I didn't use any reference for this.

Hi michalis, very nice!

Could you explain a bit more about groboto? How do you use it in your workflow? Can you show me screenshot of the base mesh and how it was constructed? You meantioned this program a few times and I am very intrigued. If it is somehow objectionable to "advertise" for another program on this forum please reply by PM.

Thanks!

Well done Michalis! I see you incorporate 3DC and ZBrush together very nicely. What is your process like going from 3DC to Zbrush and vice-versa?

Would you mind sharing your workflow? I just picked up ZBrush :D

Thank you, GeeJay, CoolCGI, rouncer, Slipping_Through_07

@Slipping_Through_07

It depends on what you have in mind as an artist. I mean, you may start at low poly 3dc smooth vox, retopo fast and go to zbrush. Or, start in zbrush go for retopo and back again. Or start with zsheres, edit parts of topo in 3dc and back. Or do as much you can in 3dc and add details and set pose in zb. All these on a human figure. If a terrain is the target then 3dc is great to finish there. If hard surf is the case then there're better apps for the job.

Lets say, we started in zbrush (remesh-project technique), I usually import it for autopo in 3dc, do this using loop guides, export fast. Now 3dc has created a rather nice topo but I use the zb2 compatibility method to convert possible ngons to tris. I never forget to ask zbrush to fill holes!!! You never know. Project and continue sculpting. Its important not to spend much time on these. 5-10 min max. You'll do final retopo in the end, if needed (depended on your needs)

Last night I started in voxels and almost finished it there. You never know, just do as you like, its the most important.

An example, here is a WIP. This drapery is killing me though. It started in 3dc but now I have to resculpt it in vox room. Stretching is a nightmare and I still change my mind on whats gonna happen there.

lol, not yet in place. I started drapery from scratch again, something was wrong, I don't know what. Its abstract art, remember? Every naturalistic element is just an illusion.

I mean, when sketching drapery, I keep looking at the face. There's a continuity on these. It has to be, else everything will starts looking like... CG. Just a tour around CG forums, watching drapery. In most cases its like spaghetti. :drinks:

Voxels or zbrush don't help much. Topology is the key.

Thanks Scott Padbury,

An even darker project as its the missing link between a babouin, my uncle and the next prime minister of greece (wait and see if I'm right) ;)

A very fast sculpting using primitives in 3dc and autopo. Mostly pores and compositing in zbrush. I was testing here the ability to import blender particles-hair in zbrush. It works and its not heavy. A zb render, DOF and a sepia overlay in Ps.

Both of the last 2 works have the stamp of your style of art which I find interesting. 3D art still is undeveloped as to the expression in different styles. Thanks for sharing.

Cloth is hard as even on a static model, it's hard to get a sense of movement in the cloth. Though we are catching a moment in time with a statue,cloth is still dynamic. I will be sure to watch your progress on the cloth...

Hey digman, thank you.

For everybody interested, here's how to convert and export as obj the particles (hairs) from blender. A matter of time to be able to import them to 3DC as well.

I'm using the 2.49b here, I don't trust the heavy exports from 2.5.x but it may works. 2.5.x has a better particles system editor anyway.

Sign in to follow this