3DCoat Forums

Retopology

Slipping_Through_07

Lets say you have completed a sculpt with a complete set of textures, retopo and uvs. Is it possible to go back and create a new topology and assign it to your sculpt without having to rebake, remerge and repaint your textures?

Many thanks in advance!

All texture painting operations depend, entirely, on UV maps - which are entirely based on topology.

When you "retopo", you change the topology and a new UV map must be created to receive a texture. Since your original painting efforts are based on a completely different UV map, they won't work with the new topology and the correspondingly new UV map.

So, the bad new is - you've got to start over, (painting-wise), I mean.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Actually you can re-project the texture onto another mesh with the Texture baking tool. It needs to be similar in shape, but slightly different topology shouldn't matter.

I was once working on a display model that, when subdivided, was too high-poly for the UV unfold to do a very clean job. I had already done the texture work, but the client later wanted the UV layout to be done a specific way. I didn't have a copy of the low res mesh saved, so I sent the high poly model over to Max, used the Dot Loop/Ring tool to reduce the poly count dramatically (been asking for this little tool forever in 3DC) in just a couple of clicks. I then exported that, and re-worked the UV's in 3DC and it did a great job. From there, all I had to do was use the Texture Baking tool to project the texture from the hi-res model to the low res model...with completely different UV's. Worked like a charm.

Different topology....different UV's. No problem. I just haven't tried it on a model that is considerably different in overall shape.