3DCoat Forums

Transforming texture layers?

simmsimaging

• Advanced Member

I think this has been asked about before but searching did not turn up an answer:

I really miss the ability to free transform entire layers when creating texture maps. It's especially useful for positioning things like decals in 3D space. I know I can ship the layered map over to Photoshop but then I lose that 3D positioning potential.

Is there a way to free-transform image layers that I have missed? I specifically mean existing images, not the image pasting tool that lets you adjust on import, and I don't want the select/transform tool because that only grabs part of the image - it's the whole layer I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

b

• Reputable Contributor

I think this has been asked about before but searching did not turn up an answer:

I really miss the ability to free transform entire layers when creating texture maps. It's especially useful for positioning things like decals in 3D space. I know I can ship the layered map over to Photoshop but then I lose that 3D positioning potential.

Is there a way to free-transform image layers that I have missed? I specifically mean existing images, not the image pasting tool that lets you adjust on import, and I don't want the select/transform tool because that only grabs part of the image - it's the whole layer I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

b

You can export the layer (in question) as an image file, then add that file to your materials pallet and transform till your heart's content > paint that back onto your model. Any material you use can be scaled, rotated, distorted (like Photoshop's Liquify tool), etc.

I find that sometimes many feature requests already exist in some form already in 3DC...we just haven't yet discovered them. For example, I remember asking for the ability to extrude edges tool, and also an "EXTRUDE" tool such as that in Maya (its called the INSET tool in 3ds Max). I never heard anything back from the request, but recently I stumbled upon them in the Retopo Room, hidden away (context-sensitive). You have to be in the Selection tool and once you are in EDGES mode, there they are at the bottom of the toolbar.

You can also interactively move an image (logo) along a spline...all kinds of options, but maybe not functioning quite the way you're asking. Doesn't mean it's not worth a feature request, but try some of those tools and see if it isn't close to what you're asking for.

• Advanced Member

You can export the layer (in question) as an image file, then add that file to your materials pallet and transform till your heart's content > paint that back onto your model. Any material you use can be scaled, rotated, distorted (like Photoshop's Liquify tool), etc.

I find that sometimes many feature requests already exist in some form already in 3DC...we just haven't yet discovered them. For example, I remember asking for the ability to extrude edges tool, and also an "EXTRUDE" tool such as that in Maya (its called the INSET tool in 3ds Max). I never heard anything back from the request, but recently I stumbled upon them in the Retopo Room, hidden away (context-sensitive). You have to be in the Selection tool and once you are in EDGES mode, there they are at the bottom of the toolbar.

You can also interactively move an image (logo) along a spline...all kinds of options, but maybe not functioning quite the way you're asking. Doesn't mean it's not worth a feature request, but try some of those tools and see if it isn't close to what you're asking for.

Thanks. I will give the material route a try. It's not ideal, hopefully a more "simple" transform tool could be worked out. I'm actually surprised the request doesn't come up more often.

Appreciate the help!

Brett

• Advanced Member

Thanks. I will give the material route a try. It's not ideal, hopefully a more "simple" transform tool could be worked out. I'm actually surprised the request doesn't come up more often.

Appreciate the help!

Brett

I didn't think that through welll enough: in most cases this would be okay, but I'm wrapping artwork around a can, and it needs to follow the UV's and contour around the can, which won't work with a material projection. I need to basically adjust the size/position in UV space, but seeing it live on the can will make it infinitely faster and more accurate.

Sounds like I'm hooped without going back and forth with Photoshop.

/b

• Advanced Member

I didn't think that through welll enough: in most cases this would be okay, but I'm wrapping artwork around a can, and it needs to follow the UV's and contour around the can, which won't work with a material projection. I need to basically adjust the size/position in UV space, but seeing it live on the can will make it infinitely faster and more accurate.

Sounds like I'm hooped without going back and forth with Photoshop.

Here the Place Image along Spline Tool (The one under the Text-Tool) might be handy...

You could store the curve and then change/tweak the Bitmaps used (in PS)

• Advanced Member

How can you transform whole texture if it is over the model?

But you can transform parts or even whole set in Texture UV editor.

I want the ability to move the whole layer around rather than part of it, and that could be done in the UV editor - that's what I figured it would have to be. The copy tool seems to always do a projection which means the image gets interpolated every time, and that is a problem for maintaining crisp detail. If the layer was moveable, like in Photoshop, then a small decal on a layer could be moved around and adjusted endlessly and without detail loss. Of course if it is scaled etc then there would be interpolation.

Just picture having a logo on a layer of a texture on a box. If you need to reposition the logo it is very easy to just move the layer around to do it. At this point I just go to Photoshop and move it there, but it would be much better to have it be interactively viewable on the model so you could position it with less guesswork.

Does that clarify?

b

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I want the ability to move the whole layer around rather than part of it, and that could be done in the UV editor - that's what I figured it would have to be. The copy tool seems to always do a projection which means the image gets interpolated every time, and that is a problem for maintaining crisp detail. If the layer was moveable, like in Photoshop, then a small decal on a layer could be moved around and adjusted endlessly and without detail loss. Of course if it is scaled etc then there would be interpolation.

Just picture having a logo on a layer of a texture on a box. If you need to reposition the logo it is very easy to just move the layer around to do it. At this point I just go to Photoshop and move it there, but it would be much better to have it be interactively viewable on the model so you could position it with less guesswork.

Does that clarify?

b

bumping this thread: any thoughts on implementing something like this?

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

bumping this thread: any thoughts on implementing something like this?

Just bumping it again :) I'm on a new job with another set of elements/logos that need to be positioned in 3D space and I'm constantly back and forth to Photoshop tweaking. Even a simple move tool for layers would be a huge asset.

Filed a mantis request as well.

/b