3DCoat Forums

New Default UI Scheme?

AbnRanger

Should the default UI be switched to one of the other schemes?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current UI color scheme?

• Keep the current plain Grey default
    • Default to the Modo-esque color scheme
    • Default to the Dark Grey scheme

• Reputable Contributor

Some of us were talking about the UI recently and the subject of the color scheme came up. There was some criticism of the UI over at CGSociety about it, but I happen to like it, once some of the newer color schemes were introduced. That includes the "Yellow" theme, which is actually more like Modo's...that's one I've always liked. There has also been more of a shift recently, to darker UI's companies are realizing that bright UI's are harder on the eyes after a long day.

I realize we have customization options, but the one thing I wanted to make is that "First Impressions" are lasting impressions. With that in mind, I say "whay not"...why not make the default scheme the most attractive you have among your options? What say ye, ladies and gents?

• Advanced Member

Why not just have a new section on the website/forum with different color schemes you can download and place in the 3DC folder in the My Documents folder and a quick way to switch them on the GUI.

This is what silo does but it has custom positioned image buttons etc which these could also do. Having the option to use icons in 3DC rather than text would be quite interesting also as i quite like how easy Sketchup's GUI is where you can place icons and hide them etc.

• Reputable Contributor

Why not just have a new section on the website/forum with different color schemes you can download and place in the 3DC folder in the My Documents folder and a quick way to switch them on the GUI.

This is what silo does but it has custom positioned image buttons etc which these could also do. Having the option to use icons in 3DC rather than text would be quite interesting also as i quite like how easy Sketchup's GUI is where you can place icons and hide them etc.

You already have some of these options that you can load from the startup splash screen and the Preferences dialogue, but the point is that people seeing or trying 3DC the first time are probably not going to be aware that those options exist, and thus they form an impression just based on what they see. It's not that the default is bad, it's just that there are a few others that look better. Why not try to present the application with the best you have?

Also, regarding it being just cosmetic...sure there are some things that can be done, and we'll keep reminding Andrew about this , but I happen to like the way you have some Lightwave UI (toolbar) elements as well as Photoshop elements. I'll take that over ZBrush's UI any day of the week, even if ZB's is more mature.

On another note, Autodesk has recently moved to a darker UI for Max, Maya, and Mudbox, and it's not cosmetic, Polyxo. It's because bright UI's are very harsh, physically, on the eyes, when one is in front of the monitor 8-16hrs a day. I had perfect vision until recently, and now I am going to have to go see an eye doctor...and it's all from sitting in front of a monitor

I like the default colors. I tried the other options out but went back to the default. Easiest on the eyes and a real good color IMO.

Speaking of PC Monitors and eyes...For any who have not tried this, Google: f.lux (it's www.stereopsis.com/flux).

It is a free download program that causes your PC monitor screen light to be tied into realtime day/night brightness. It mutes certain sorts of light from your monitor that cause eye strain. As it gets darker out, the light is dimmed accordingly...no more glaring white light in your face in the wee hours of the morning.

I've had it running afew months now and really noticed it helps with eye strain. Check it out. Did i mention it is free.

• Advanced Member
There has also been more of a shift recently, to darker UI's companies are realizing that bright UI's are harder on the eyes after a long day.

Especially in recent years as the price of flat panel monitors has dropped and the screen sizes have gone up.It really can be overwhelming looking at a giant bright monitor for too long.

Tom

• Reputable Contributor

Especially in recent years as the price of flat panel monitors has dropped and the screen sizes have gone up.It really can be overwhelming looking at a giant bright monitor for too long.

Tom

Yeah...I've got to start stepping away from the monitor in more frequent intervals. It's to the point that I often struggle to read small print on medicine bottles or instructions/contents on packages and such. Never had that problem before.

I used the modo one for a little while but got tired of the orange so I went back top default.

On another note, Autodesk has recently moved to a darker UI for Max, Maya, and Mudbox, and it's not cosmetic, Polyxo. It's because bright UI's are very harsh, physically, on the eyes, when one is in front of the monitor 8-16hrs a day. I had perfect vision until recently, and now I am going to have to go see an eye doctor...and it's all from sitting in front of a monitor

LightWave has also gone to a dark UI, Adobe made the switch a while ago with many of it's apps, although Photoshop still has yet to take the plunge. I might like the 3DC darker UI if I got rid of the orange.

• Reputable Contributor
Speaking of PC Monitors and eyes...For any who have not tried this, Google: f.lux (it's www.stereopsis.com/flux).

It is a free download program that causes your PC monitor screen light to be tied into realtime day/night brightness. It mutes certain sorts of light from your monitor that cause eye strain. As it gets darker out, the light is dimmed accordingly...no more glaring white light in your face in the wee hours of the morning.

I've had it running afew months now and really noticed it helps with eye strain. Check it out. Did i mention it is free.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to check it out. By the way, I made some adjustments so that the orange highlights aren't on the active tabs or anything else. Just the highlighted tool and active layer. One is a light grey highlight and the other is orange. All in all, it's kind of a blend between Lightwave 10, Photoshop and Mudbox 2011, and the panels match fairly well from room to room.

I like the default colors. I tried the other options out but went back to the default. Easiest on the eyes and a real good color IMO.

just download and install. what a difference! at 22.19 pm is now better that it was yesterday.