3DCoat Forums

3DCoat "Dare to Share"?

....Yeah, OK. If you say so. :rolleyes:

You don't have to buy what I'm saying all you have to do is look at a couple_scratch that ANY CG webforum to notice the Messiah:Studio event is the most talked activity, project on any forum and there's no forum where you can't see multiple people snatching up 1-4 licenses as quickly as possible and that's only the beginning of those people's relationship with pmG.

Just as importantly...you're not Andrew.

• Reputable Contributor

Another Plus about Pilgway running something like this is that it would most certainly encourage a lot of younger people that certainly wouldn't have the kind of money necessary to buy a license to get their foot in the door of learning 3D early.

It's free to education institutions and $99 for students or hobbiests (non-commercial use). That's your foot in the door.

• Advanced Member

With 3d software there has always been good free alternatives like blender so if a load of higher priced apps were to do this all of a sudden why have the prices high in the first place as it's not really rocket science to know once you go over a certain price range it's going to put some people off buying it.

I think with 3d the prices can go a bit over the top and sales will start to slow down a lot which is probably what happened with Messiah and also there is more free options like blender now which might be why they did that. Software company's just need to keep prices reasonable or know when to stop increasing the price rather than adding $100+ with every major update until it's only something a high end studio might buy.

I don't see why this should be done with 3DC just yet though, just because Messiah did this it does not mean all $99+ apps now have to do it also.

• Advanced Member

With regarding prices, a client will pay anywhere from 1000 to 1000000US for a project either print, web, cm, pm.

I don't see AD products going down in price when legit companies using them are making a lot of money. One cm can pay for a license of 3dmax. Of course there are overhead costs but you don't really work on one project in a studio.

That's why I don't see blender ever becoming the leader in 3d appz. There's no obligation for developers to improve or support the software. Its free and provided as is. A commercial app, well you need to make it sellable or it won't sell.

...I don't see AD products going down in price

AD has a locked in user base with 98% of their product and that market is generally studios with 10 or more people. 3D-Coat's target is individual users with the idea of having that translate into more large studio seat licenses down the road. The potential problem with 3D-Coat gaining wider market acceptance is actually this obstacle of AD entrenched software users. Many people that work at studios that are modelers already own a personal copy of ZBrush or MudBox or both, so unless they can get their company to buy them a 3D-Coat license a lot of them will be hesitant to drop another $100-$350 on more digital sculpting software. That's basically why AD doesn't have to change their pricing.

The way I see it is that 3D-Coat has to basically get enough individual users on their side to create a cacophony of voices requesting 3D-Coat at work for Pilgway to be prosperous long term trying to tread water in the "Hobbyist"/"Prosumer" market alone seems like it would be a painful long term option. How you get as many licenses in the hands of as many users as quickly as possible is an open debate. However, as I recall 3D-Brush was initially free and it being free was what got it quickly in the hands of a lot of people that started proselytizing the benefits of the application all over the CG corners internet. Sculptris also went the same route...to me it's a little too late to start claiming "Oh...we're too good to be reducing our prices." Certainly 3D-Coat could equal and surpass other competing apps functionality, but as I mentioned before there's always the possibility of new players entering the fray and if you, as a company, don't have significant numbers of entrenched users you will feel the heat first and most deeply. Also, with AD and others sizable cash stores and vast resources it's likely they can copy whatever new feature is added to keep their customers happy eventually.

• Reputable Contributor

3D Brush as it was called then, was not free. It was inexpensive to get in ($80 or so). 3D Coat...again, is growing on it's own. It has it's own merits, and doesn't need gimicky "groupon" style marketing campaigns. It has a price for entry or hobbiest level consumers and it has an attractive price for commercial level users. Trying to "give away" licenses would spell artificial growth. The kind that becomes more of a burden (with hundreds if not thousands more requests and communications) than an asset.

Most anyone who has a business degree or has taken college level business classes will know about the problem any business can face with growth that outpaces their ability to handle it. Plenty of once thriving businesses can't handle the sudden growth and they collapse under it's weight. Sustained growth over time is the best model, and that's what Andrew has going right now. Both ZBrush and Mudbox started from humble beginnings, and neither relied on gimmicky marketing or pricing to grow.

3D Brush as it was called then, was not free...

I always disliked bullies...

Anyway anyone who has a business degree or has taken business level courses from professors that are actual successful business people and not just academics would know that:

A.) Trying to work from a position of limiting sales is a losers position in a small turbulent market. (You're not exactly selling Wheat worldwide here)

B.) It would be foolish to compare today's 3D application market with the market that ZBrush entered back in the 90's or the one Mudbox entered even a couple of years ago when ZBrush was still it's sloppy, but only 800 lb. Gorilla competitor.

Different game, different rules.

• 2 weeks later...

One other major benefit of 3D-Coat doing something like the "Dare to Share" event is that in addition to getting all of the free press and a significantly larger user base even though it would put strain on support it would also have the effect of getting users to demand better interoperability between 3DCoat and other full pipeline tools.