3DCoat Forums

DX problem or newbie problem - objects keep hiding

wheelmanforhire

I was really impressed with the videos, I'm now trying out the demo.

Problem 1 DX version not running even after reboot

Only GL version of 3D coat will launch

DX version gives an error Title: "3d-CoatDX.exe - Unable to Locate Component" Text: "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_38.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Problem 2 :

1) Launch 3dCoatGL (since DX version wont run)

2) Chose Voxel sculpting, and click on any of the spheres, cube or cylinder

3) Green ball flashes for a quick second but then grid and ball disapper.

4) can R or L click to move zoom, etc, green ball/grid re-appears, moves around but disappears again as soon as no mouse buttons are pressed and I move mouse.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

DirectX 9.0c

Gatewat fx510

Windows XP Pro (5.1 build 2600)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

2.66GHz

3.24GM Ram

Radeon X1900 CrossFire (512 MB)

All directX Direct3D display test (7, 8 & 9) pass

• Reputable Contributor

I was really impressed with the videos, I'm now trying out the demo.

Problem 1 DX version not running even after reboot

Only GL version of 3D coat will launch

DX version gives an error Title: "3d-CoatDX.exe - Unable to Locate Component" Text: "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_38.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Problem 2 :

1) Launch 3dCoatGL (since DX version wont run)

2) Chose Voxel sculpting, and click on any of the spheres, cube or cylinder

3) Green ball flashes for a quick second but then grid and ball disapper.

4) can R or L click to move zoom, etc, green ball/grid re-appears, moves around but disappears again as soon as no mouse buttons are pressed and I move mouse.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

DirectX 9.0c

Gatewat fx510

Windows XP Pro (5.1 build 2600)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

2.66GHz

3.24GM Ram

Radeon X1900 CrossFire (512 MB)

All directX Direct3D display test (7, 8 & 9) pass

You have to go to the Microsoft Direct X site (should have a link to it in the installer), download and install it (I think it's DX9). I don't know why that is. I thought I had it when I first installed 3DC, but obviously not.

As for the green ball an such, it is hard to tell if it's a bug or what. Is there any way you can provide a screen capture of the behavior (there is a "Upload Screenshot" in the help menu). A video capture is best as it helps make clear what exactly is happening. Jing is free and they even host the video for you. BB Flashback Express is another free video capture and you can upload to Youtube. From there you can copy the link and select the "Media Link" icon (above your posted text, the far right icon) and paste it there. The video will appear in your post.

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger - thanks you were rignt. Even though my system says that I have DirectX9.0c, there are apparently some additional (or missing) components in the Direct X End-User runtime that I needed. I can now run in DX mode. Thanks for the support!

Glad to help. Are you still having those issues with the sphere appearing and disappearing? It may help to know that in 3D Coat, you never just drop a tool. 3DC assumes you want to stay in a tool until you select another. For that reason, you'll see the temporary Proxy Object (when merging or using Primitives) still in the viewport, even after you've hit ENTER or the Apply button. But as soon as you click another tool, it will be gone. Just think of merged meshes and primitives as temporary molds or casts...which 3DC uses to fill with Voxels.

Now that I'm running the DX executable, the problem of the appearing / disappearing sphere issue is gone. I'm sure it was related to OpenGL / hardware. 3DC was functining, when ever I rotated or zoomed I could see the sphere and deformations, but most of the time the screen just showed the background gradient, grid and object would not display. But, now that issue is gone!

Awesome help on making the Proxy Object/rotator/stretchy thing go away... that was exactly my "next newbie question". You are a mind reader, thanks!