3DCoat Forums

How to limit UV for just the head of a character?

wolfiboy

Hello,

I'm new in this forum but have used 3D-Coat for some modeling already. Now I want to apply a normal-map from the detailed character. I detailed the face of my character in the voxel-room and now I want to use this as a normal map. Before that I made a UV map on the charactes mesh and now I import this already UV-ed mesh into the retopo-room and merge all together with normal map into the paint-room.

The problem is, that only the head has detail, the rest of the body has some bad artefacts from merging the orginal mesh into voxel-room. I dont want to have this on my normal map.

Question: A)Is it possible to limit the UV-map only to the head? When I try this in UV-room the rest of the body appears as crazy, long-drawn out UV-mesh.

B)Is it possible to delete this UV-island?

C) Could I make two different UV-maps for this character - One for the head, the other for the rest of the body? (Because then I wouldn't apply the normal map for the second UV in the rendering-application.) And how to do that?

Thank you in advance!

I think you need to use several UV sets. There is a menu to add UV sets on the top bar of the UV room. Next to it is a menu where you can choose to move selected UV-islands to other sets.

But I'm still trying to find my way in those multi-UVs myself so i will watch with interest the answers that long-term users can give. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Hello,

I'm new in this forum but have used 3D-Coat for some modeling already. Now I want to apply a normal-map from the detailed character. I detailed the face of my character in the voxel-room and now I want to use this as a normal map. Before that I made a UV map on the charactes mesh and now I import this already UV-ed mesh into the retopo-room and merge all together with normal map into the paint-room.

The problem is, that only the head has detail, the rest of the body has some bad artefacts from merging the orginal mesh into voxel-room. I dont want to have this on my normal map.

Question: A)Is it possible to limit the UV-map only to the head? When I try this in UV-room the rest of the body appears as crazy, long-drawn out UV-mesh.

B)Is it possible to delete this UV-island?

C) Could I make two different UV-maps for this character - One for the head, the other for the rest of the body? (Because then I wouldn't apply the normal map for the second UV in the rendering-application.) And how to do that?

Thank you in advance!

This covers toward the end, making multiple UV sets and baking out the result/merging to Per Pixel Painting. I found as small bug(reported) when checking "Auto Smoothing Groups"...so uncheck it and see if you don't get the results you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0-bZKNrvU

Thank you AbnRanger,

I saw your video before but it doesn't work for me. Because in difference to your video I can't select the two UVs in the Retopo-room because the pull-down-menu in the upper left corner is missing. I do the exact same thing as in your video: import the mesh with the two UVs in Voxel-room, do the snaping, go to Retopo-room, click on 'Mark seams' but the UVs are mixed together. And I don't have this pull-down-menu in the most left upper corner as in your video where I could select the UVs. There's nothing.

I think I have the newest version 3.5.05A .

I attached a link to youtube where I recorded my problem for better explanation what I mean.

Thank you.

Hmm, i just noticed i've had the pull down menus disappear. I was able to bring it back by clicking and dragging in the top bar a few times at a few different places. Looks like the bar sometimes goes left or right if the screen is not large enough to hold it entirely. I wish i could split it in two rows. :huh:

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you AbnRanger,

I saw your video before but it doesn't work for me. Because in difference to your video I can't select the two UVs in the Retopo-room because the pull-down-menu in the upper left corner is missing. I do the exact same thing as in your video: import the mesh with the two UVs in Voxel-room, do the snaping, go to Retopo-room, click on 'Mark seams' but the UVs are mixed together. And I don't have this pull-down-menu in the most left upper corner as in your video where I could select the UVs. There's nothing.

I think I have the newest version 3.5.05A .

I attached a link to youtube where I recorded my problem for better explanation what I mean.

Thank you.

I'm not sure when the multiple UV sets feature was implemented, but go to the 3.5 updates thread and download + install 3.5.11. It should work. With that said, though, I recently encountered a few bugs that I've reported to Andrew. They are a bit irritating, but you can still get the job done. Just use the drag select tool most of the time, when selecting Islands.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&st=0

I'm not sure when the multiple UV sets feature was implemented, but go to the 3.5 updates thread and download + install 3.5.11. It should work. With that said, though, I recently encountered a few bugs that I've reported to Andrew. They are a bit irritating, but you can still get the job done. Just use the drag select tool most of the time, when selecting Islands.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&st=0

The 3.5.11 Update brought me the pull-down-menu for the UVs in Retopo-room, but the seperate UVs are still mixed.

To be sure that I didn't make a mistake I imported the object for pixel-paint. There, in the UV-room, I can select the seperate UVs with their correct name. So the object seams to be correct (I discovered, that in Lightwave you need to apply to seperate surfaces this seperate UVs; it is possible to create UVs without applying them to surfaces, but then 3D-Coat doesn't recognize them at import.)

But I found a work-around: I will just use one UV, merge into Paint-room with normal map and export the object to .lwo-format (normal map included). In Lightwave I load the object, define two different surfaces (e.g. 'head' and 'body') and in the Surface Editor I only apply the normal map to the 'head'-surface (with the UV map, that is the same for both surfaces). So only the head will be influenced by the normal map.

I don't know if this can be done in the same way in Maya. I will check it out, just downloaded the 30 day tryout.

But anyway - I couldn't reproduce the effect of your video. Maybe it is dependent where the object is modelled?

• Reputable Contributor

The 3.5.11 Update brought me the pull-down-menu for the UVs in Retopo-room, but the seperate UVs are still mixed.

To be sure that I didn't make a mistake I imported the object for pixel-paint. There, in the UV-room, I can select the seperate UVs with their correct name. So the object seams to be correct (I discovered, that in Lightwave you need to apply to seperate surfaces this seperate UVs; it is possible to create UVs without applying them to surfaces, but then 3D-Coat doesn't recognize them at import.)

But I found a work-around: I will just use one UV, merge into Paint-room with normal map and export the object to .lwo-format (normal map included). In Lightwave I load the object, define two different surfaces (e.g. 'head' and 'body') and in the Surface Editor I only apply the normal map to the 'head'-surface (with the UV map, that is the same for both surfaces). So only the head will be influenced by the normal map.

I don't know if this can be done in the same way in Maya. I will check it out, just downloaded the 30 day tryout.

But anyway - I couldn't reproduce the effect of your video. Maybe it is dependent where the object is modelled?

You may have to separate the islands you want to be applied to a different set, and then move them to the one you create. I don't know that 3DC recognizes imported UV sets. It should, but I do all my UV's in 3DC anyway:

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/f8415fff-9e1b-4fe8-94e0-8f9ee424448e

Thank you AbnRanger,

I will study UVs in 3D-Coat a little bit deeper in the next time. Thank you for helping me and for the links!

So far my problem is solved with the workaround.