3DCoat Forums

3DConnexion Mouse

philnolan3d

• Advanced Member

I just got my first 3D mouse! A SpacePilot (not Pro). Does anyone else who uses them have any suggestions for good 3DC settings?

2011-02-16_1444.png

I keep 2 profiles.. One for Voxel sculpting and one for Microvertex painting on flat planes.. (Like using a painting app that can rotate, zoom and pan) Its pretty easy to figure out.. I put a post in this thread on how to set it up..

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7682&st=0&p=58623entry58623

As far as setting up the buttons, Here is how I do it..

1 = Spacebar

2 = E

3 = T

4 = Enter

5 = Redo - Set in 3DC and 3Dmouse as Z

6 = Undo - Set in 3DC and 3Dmouse as Y

Set up the TLRF Camera angles to all of the associated hotkeys in 3DC Num+1 and so on..

Only problem I found is that for some Reason Ctrl+Z doesn't work so I had to modify.. Strange.. Maybe its specific to my device.. (Space Pilot) same as yours..

If this is your first time, give it a little time.. You will wonder how you lived without it!!

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

Thanks, now I just have to figure out how to make profiles for 3DC. The 3DX instructions don't tell you.

Start with the "Any or All application" profile.. 1St Thing is to go to File -> save as a profile called 3DC.. Modify to your hearts content! Play with the speeds.. Reverse directions to your liking.. Set the rotational pivot settings under the Camera menu in 3DC.. I use almost all of the 3DC's pivot settings in different circumstances.. I suppose its good to rotate around the world to get your bearings.. Un-check "Rotate around Y" in 3DC's Preferences to set yourself free to fly! Play Play Play.. Thats how I did it.. Now its practically a part of my hand.. I started out like a drunken idiot flying on a drunken bumble bee.. :)

IC

Ah! Thanks I was wondering what that Config button did. Also a good idea putting Symmetry on there, I hit that S key a lot without the 3DX.

Strange, for some reason Undo / Redo (Ctrl+Z, Y) doesn't seem to work from the 3DX in 3DC. Those buttons work fine in other programs and obviously they work fine with the keyboard in 3DC.

• Contributor

So, how's the thing ? I've still not decided if I should buy one of the more expensive models(I would be angry to enjoy the lower budgets one and missing the extra buttons after a while).

I tend to work with my hand always on the keyboard making INTENSIVE use of shortcuts. So my question is: are the buttons kinda replacing the keyboard ? Or is it like the wacom touchkeys, so few that you don't really use them in the end ?

Also, can you "hack" some shortcuts to work with unsupported application ? (like udk?)

I know that's a ton of questions but I see the way the things move in a lot 3dconnexion users videos, and it's kinda enjoyable to watch, so I hope it's as comfortable as it looks.

• Advanced Member

I tend to work with my hand always on the keyboard making INTENSIVE use of shortcuts. So my question is: are the buttons kinda replacing the keyboard ? Or is it like the wacom touchkeys, so few that you don't really use them in the end ?

My experience as another person who mainly works with keyboard-shortcuts:

No, these few buttons, even if re-mapable to several schemes can clearly not replace the keyboard.

You'll lose the time and precision you maybe won by using it by permanently changing back and forth between

3D-Controller and Keyboard.

Persons however who prefer Buttons over extensive use of hotkeys anyway will however see a great advantage.

One great overall advantage of using this device with 3DC is that you will not see problems with inconstant

availability of Navigation options like this is strongly the case if you try to navigate with the Pen exclusively

(without additionally pressing Alt).

I haven't really used it long enough to give a full opinion. I just got it yesterday and I've been pretty busy doing client work in LightWave, so I haven't had much time to play yet. I did make a little video, flying around my city with it and Google Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGKGhyoVboY

I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts when modeling in LW, but not so much when I'm in Layout animating. Also not so much when I'm in 3DC, I only use a few- Spacebar, E, S, and I set though as buttons on the device.

As for the price, remember to check eBay, this one was used, but it only cost me a little over $50.

• Contributor

Price is not an issue for me, it's use I'm concerned about, as Polyxo said, I don't want to lose the time I can gain using the space gizmos by switching between keyboard/3dconnexion device every two secs. My tablet is already huge + keyboard + 3dc device, I don't want to go "enterprise command center" style :> hence my question about viable "keyboard replacement" (as a matter of speaking, using the most useful commands on the 3dc device that is)

As of now it doesn't replace the keyboard for me because it does not work with combination keybinds in 3dc (ctrl+z, ctrl+s, shift+a, etc). I've always used my left hand for keybinds and such while the right hand works with the wacom (I don't use those buttons), so as of now my left hand would have to jump back and forth between the Pilot and the keyboard. For now I've gone back to my old way of working.

• Advanced Member

Edit:

This and following contributions of mine are a reaction on the first version of AbnRangers postings in

this thread.

He has in the meantime constantly edtited these, deleted one of them and finally toned the remaining ones

down greatly - so that my reactions now might seem overshooting.

I'd find absurd to now start editing my postings too - but just in the case you are wondering.

I use hotkeys CONSTANTLY, but I rarely have to reach for the keyboard. What Polyxo said is just his opinion, and it is very common for people who don't use it or don't bother taking the time to create their own custom hotkey sets.

Believe it or not, what you are saying here is just an opinion too.

Man you have a seriously nasty habit to discredit people with deviating experiences...

And try your very worst let them appear foolish/lazy or if that doesn't apply then they are at least

Nonbelievers = Haters.

Hey- this is a community of the World and not the regulars'table of your Pub.

How about behaving a little?

Edited by polyxo

• Advanced Member

Opinion?...it's a fact.

Certainly, if YOU say it.

When you complain...and that is indeed what you were doing...that you may have to move your hand a few inches every once in a while (the same way you would reaching for hotkeys in the numeric panel), it begs for ridicule.

Nonsense.

I did not complain about 3D-Navigators but just prefer the Keyboard.

For everything having to do with creating at least...

I actually enjoy using my Space-Navigator for Screen-Presentations.

What's a really nasty habit it people like yourself and other who think they can voice their opinion and others not have a right to challenge it.

I never called non-believers haters...just people who...well...go around Hating, on those they disagree with.

I see it in the media all the time. They don't keep their views to themselves. They, without provocation take hateful stabs at people of faith and their perspective all the time. And to one degree or another that is precisely what was taking place over at CG Society and one individual tried to spill some of that over here.

So you are implying that I was talking bad - even hatefully - about theses 3DConnexion-Devices in my first posting in this thread?

You'll allow me to laugh, will you?

• Contributor

Hum.... this started civilized... I don't know who's wrong of right, in fact I don't care I just wanted opinions. Now if I may, AbnRanger I have to agree with polyxo, you are quite aggressive with post #22... Let's keep it cool, if it can help: wether or not you win your agumentation or polyxo does (if you can win an argument that is), you won't decide of my purchase in the end, I always try my new hardware before buying...

So on this simple point, 3dconnexion site is not really explaining this hotkeys thing well, can you explain it to me ?

And furthermore, what model are you talking about, there seems to be quite a lot of revision floating around...

• Advanced Member

He made a bogus comment and I questioned it...especially seeing that he has no experience in the matter, to speak of. Complaining about the utter burden of having to move one's hand a few inches once in a while is good comedy. :rofl:

This level of Discussion really doesn't match my taste, I'm off here.

In case you go on ranting - please just refrain from further comments which put my Intelligence, Experience-Level or general Integrity (bogus comment) in

question. As with other assessments too - there's chances that you're wrong.

Hi I hope im not hijacking this thread, but I just got a SpaceNavigator (just the puck) im running on ubuntu 10.10 64bit,

I was wondering if the linux version of 3D Coat has 3dconnexion support, as I cannot get it to work with 3d coat

http://spacenav.sf.net im using this daemon as they are supposed to be better on *nix

• Contributor

OK so if i understand correctly:

I press config and say "1" : I get config set "1" and after that each number is linked to a function. Right ? You don't have more than 6 function for each config set (on this model) ?

On this model there is this little thing that pop my interest SS-2011-02-18_14.40.20.jpg

Does this means I can have more than the ten options that this particular model show in a next page ?

That would be very interesting even though the old model seems nice, 6 functions is a bit limited, and having to press that config button often (and the placement is a bit awkward judging by the videos) seems to slow down the workflow.

Maybe you can't answer to that, just asking if you happened to know :)

Oh, and another bonus question, when you have the space gizmo in the hand, are the modificator buttons (ctrl alt shift) well placed ? I'm afraid using sculpting software, that their position gets unconfortable with the gizmo after a while.

I would have loved to get the Pro version, but it's far more expensive than I can afford. Both versions allow essentially unlimited functions for the older model you can set the 6 on one screen, then have different profiles with 6 new buttons for each profile. Honestly I think I'm just going to use 6 or fewer for each program I use, of course it automatically switches profiles depending on the program you're using.

http://twitvid.com/IAZNP

I've only a used it a little so far but I've found the Alt, shift, etc. buttons to be placed very conveniently.

• Contributor

Ah thank you, I was basicaly asking if it was possible to make a hierarchy tree with subsets, and apparently it's possible.

So yeah it's basicaly unlimited in terms of shortcuts. I understand better what AbnRanger was saying now. Thank you !

I think I'm gonna go to the stock controller tommorow to ask for a tryout :)

I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. I think what really helped a lot in 3DC was turning the Movement Sensitivity down to 0.25 in the 3DC prefs. Before that my object was flying all over with the slightest touch. This is similar to how I turned the Camera Zoom Speed down to 0.36 when I was just working with the mouse or stylus.

• Advanced Member

I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. I think what really helped a lot in 3DC was turning the Movement Sensitivity down to 0.25 in the 3DC prefs. Before that my object was flying all over with the slightest touch. This is similar to how I turned the Camera Zoom Speed down to 0.36 when I was just working with the mouse or stylus.

Pretty soon your going to be turning sensitivity settings back up. It's a fine control. I did the same thing, turning the sensitivity/speed down.. After some time in the driver seat, I wanted the speed back..

I have the same mouse as you. The space pilot.. I have been thinking about picking up the space pilot pro.. I just don't know if it is really much of a step up. Anyone have experience with the space pilot pro?

IC

Have you tried the 3D Lock button (center button among the view keys)? That is so handy to have in 3DC, otherwise you often skew your Orthographic angle when trying to line your object up in the viewport. You can still pan and zoom, but no tumble or spin.

Yes I have, that's very handy. I also set all he TLRF buttons so they work properly in 3DC.