3DCoat Forums

3DConnexion Mouse

philnolan3d

• Contributor

3d connexion device is practical and very smart purchase, the Puck controller (Navigator) is probably the best buy, I myself have the space pilot pro, but quite honestly for functionallity I only ever use 2 of the keys and the rest of the features are wasted.

For retopology it is very smart indeed and really does save oodles of time enabling you to flick the model around and reach angles that some navigation types make difficult. its great for other apps too and if you have a mac there is a util that will let you use the controller for practically anything.

@ Beatkitano if your thinking of getting one just go for the Puck. honestly none of the other buttons + features are worth the extra $.

Thank youfor the infos, but I already got a spacepilot pro and I didn't spent a dime (I love business tryouts, sometimes you can negociate one extra model for free :>). And those are great even though I tend to agree that those extra button are not that much needed.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank youfor the infos, but I already got a spacepilot pro and I didn't spent a dime (I love business tryouts, sometimes you can negociate one extra model for free :>). And those are great even though I tend to agree that those extra button are not that much needed.

I use the buttons on the SpacePilot for just about everything, especially the modifier keys and view keys. The 3D Lock button is gold as I don't believe you can lock (from rotation) an orthographic view in 3DC otherwise. In 3ds Max, you used to have that problem in orthographic views, but they recently locked those from rotation. There is a USER view (hit the U key) that will allow you to rotate in an orthographic view if you need, but the default LEFT, RIGHT, TOP, FRONT,etc... are locked. I think that might be a good idea for 3D Coat, too.

But, as far as buttons go, one person's preference doesn't make a device useful or not. I find them extremely useful and keep me from having to reach for the keyboard 95% of the time. I can see why someone who uses ZBrush more often than 3DC might be so used to having their hand stationed over the keyboard, that they don't find the buttons as helpful as someone who doesn't. It takes a little time to get that muscle memory down, but it's worth the effort in the long run (in my opinion).

• Contributor

I use the buttons on the SpacePilot for just about everything, especially the modifier keys and view keys. The 3D Lock button is gold as I don't believe you can lock (from rotation) an orthographic view in 3DC otherwise. In 3ds Max, you used to have that problem in orthographic views, but they recently locked those from rotation. There is a USER view (hit the U key) that will allow you to rotate in an orthographic view if you need, but the default LEFT, RIGHT, TOP, FRONT,etc... are locked. I think that might be a good idea for 3D Coat, too.

But, as far as buttons go, one person's preference doesn't make a device useful or not. I find them extremely useful and keep me from having to reach for the keyboard 95% of the time. I can see why someone who uses ZBrush more often than 3DC might be so used to having their hand stationed over the keyboard, that they don't find the buttons as helpful as someone who doesn't. It takes a little time to get that muscle memory down, but it's worth the effort in the long run (in my opinion).

Except we can't (as far as I know) map those button the same way as the space pilot. One profile per application, this limit the number of interaction drastically.

BTW, I never said that I use Zb more than 3dcoat, I use both the same amount (and you know why). Also the modifier key are exactly as I imagined: not ideally placed, I don't use them much as I get a wrist pain quite rapidly, and already got my righ hand operated on for carpal tunnel syndrom (and that's why I ALWAYS use a stylus in the left hand, even in games).

I'm also a big fan of the modifier and direction buttons. I've also set the Fit key as the space bar for 3DC sop that my tools popup is right under my thumb at all times. The special keys IO don't use so much because they're harder to access without looking.

• Advanced Member

3d connexion device is practical and very smart purchase, the Puck controller (Navigator) is probably the best buy, I myself have the space pilot pro, but quite honestly for functionallity I only ever use 2 of the keys and the rest of the features are wasted.

For retopology it is very smart indeed and really does save oodles of time enabling you to flick the model around and reach angles that some navigation types make difficult. its great for other apps too and if you have a mac there is a util that will let you use the controller for practically anything.

@ Beatkitano if your thinking of getting one just go for the Puck. honestly none of the other buttons + features are worth the extra $$$.

For the puck, can you use it efficiently with the same hand that uses the mouse, or must it be with the opposite hand from the mouse?

• Contributor

No one responded you the first time, I will speak for myself: I didn't try. (that's why I didn't respond it wasn't really helping).

I guess you can work like that, but I don't see why you would want to do that, I'm a righty and still can operate the device with my left hand no problem.

Besides I don't see anything efficient working like that, it's the same as pushing keyboard strokes to move the camera in between work action.

Imho it defeats the whole purpose of the device.

For the puck, can you use it efficiently with the same hand that uses the mouse, or must it be with the opposite hand from the mouse?

You should definitely use it with the opposite of your mouse hand. That way you can rotate the model with one hand while working on it with the other at the same time.

• Reputable Contributor

It's really handy when doing retopo work too, as you can draw strokes or lay down polygons while rotating.

You should definitely use it with the opposite of your mouse hand. That way you can rotate the model with one hand while working on it with the other at the same time.

It takes a little getting used to, but just keep trying and soon you'll be able to feel where the buttons are pretty well...just like typing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I noticed recently that 3D Coat wasn't responding to my Space Navigator. I went back one driver version, and now it works. I wonder if this is something 3D Coat has to rectify or is it on the 3D Connexion end?

It would have to be on 3D Connexion's end. Nothing has changed on 3D Coat's side.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
I noticed recently that 3D Coat wasn't responding to my Space Navigator. I went back one driver version, and now it works. I wonder if this is something 3D Coat has to rectify or is it on the 3D Connexion end?

i had the same problem after installing the latest driver, but after a restart it worked.

but i have another question :

can i change the navigation "mode".

what i'm looking for is a navigation like in Blender 2.61. There you rotate around/on the object.

I dont like the default settings for my space-navigator in 3dcoat. I checked the preferences for that and all i can find is to enable/disable "roll" and rotation "around Y-axis".

but that rotation isnt the best. Every time when i rotate around the object, the distance to the object increases automatically. So i have to zoom in to the object in a further step.

is there a setting which im not aware of?

thank you

Peter

• 1 year later...

Does someone have experience with the 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator? I'm not getting it to spin comfortably on an a center point or an axis I'm comfortable with. The speed controls in the prefs of 3D-Coat remain a mystery to me. I've watched the two videos that deal with 3D-Coat and 3D Mice but they are superficial in that they show a device working but nothing about setup on the 3D-Coat side. I love the way the mouse works in Blender's sculpting tool. Right now though, this is worthless to me in 3D-Coat.

• Reputable Contributor

Does someone have experience with the 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator? I'm not getting it to spin comfortably on an a center point or an axis I'm comfortable with. The speed controls in the prefs of 3D-Coat remain a mystery to me. I've watched the two videos that deal with 3D-Coat and 3D Mice but they are superficial in that they show a device working but nothing about setup on the 3D-Coat side. I love the way the mouse works in Blender's sculpting tool. Right now though, this is worthless to me in 3D-Coat.

You can't change the speed in 3dconnexion properties panel? I've used a SpacePilot in 3D Coat for years and if I need to adjust anything, I go that route. Never changed a thing in 3D Coat's pref's

Edited by AbnRanger

• 3 years later...

I do not want to make a new topic so I will just try and post it here.

Is 3DCOAT still supporting old model 3DConnexion "Space Traveler" If so must I install any Drivers manually or does it work out of the box?

Reason why is I prefer just buying a old 2nd hand one then getting a new one. Hope someone can help me out?

I found this Article, but I do not know if it is still accurate http://3d-brush-dev.blogspot.ch/2007_12_01_archive.html.

And since I am not seeing any support on there own site * http://www.3dconnexion.eu/service/archived-drivers.html *

Thanks if anyone can help me out here!

5 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I can't say about that one but I have still the same really old Space Pilot and it still works just fine. I can even use the latest drivers from 3D Connexion.

Hey Philnolan,  I wanted to try it & test it with a old one first before I get  a more powerful one, I like the design of the Space Pilot looks way better than their latest ones, but at the end of the day I just want to speed up my work flow and get rid of that anoying mouse. We will see if the Driver works with this one. I will reply once I have tested it in case someone comes along with the same question.

..thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

"3dconnexion traveler 3"

I would like to say I am using this old one and it works like butter on bread! PERFECT! ( Windows 10 / and 7 )

Just keep in mind use the Old Driver 3.0 and then update it inside the program itself, and I may say this is one of the best investments it will lift your day :)

if you install other Drivers it will still work, but you have less control because it is not 100% Compatible, but it will still read & work just fine.

Cheers...

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 1