3DCoat Forums

3DConnexion Mouse

philnolan3d

• Advanced Member

On a different note. I have been migrating some of my commands to the radial menus on my cintiq.. I understand that the radial menus also work with intros 3 and 4 wacom tablets,, it can be a bit more than a button press but seems to work well enough for some commands.

I just wish there were hotkeys associated with each of the brush settings under the E key.. I'm working on a design with 100 or more leaves and I find myself constantly switching back and fourth between the tools and the drawing modes. I wish the brush presets allowed for saving the tool used, all of the tool settings and the drawing mode..

Thanks,

IC

• Contributor

Ok, it's been two days I've been testing a space pilot pro. I have two thing to say for now:

1-driver too closed (meaning i was hoping to make simple associations with the control gizmo in unsupported apps, but you can't), and not much applications supporting the device.

2-Perfect for sculpt applications (man I would soooo love to work in zbrush with it, same with mudbox) but not very useful for modeling apps. It sure is cool to be able to navigate in the viewport more intuitively, but I use SO much keyboard shortcuts it's no even funny to try to use the touch associations :/ And getting the hand back and forth between the controller and the keyboard completely cancel the time gained by using the device (which is really a shame since it's so much better to use the fly mode in maya when modeling).

I will see in the long run, but I think i will go with the puck if I get one for home (or maybe this model if I can get the stock controller to let me get it home :>)

BTW, I didn't find a way to make multiple key sets for an application and the documentation is kinda light, could you post a bit of the process Phil or AbnRanger ?

• Contributor

OK, since I didn't get an answer, I did a bit of research, and I'm now happy with the device.

Turns out as 3dconnexion developpers are... reAAALLY slow (what the h**** were they thinking about not implementing custom mouse/keyboard/joystick emulation in their drivers...)... then I found two apps that somewhat fill the gaps.

First is the 3dconnexion mouse sensor which make windows able to understand the information provided by the device as a standard mouse/keyboard/joystick.

The second is xpadder (not free I know but worth the price for full functionnality of the device), which turns the input of the device to whatever you want (analog sticks/keystrokes, mouse inputs).

Now I combined the two, customised xpadder for a 3dx spacepilot pro profile, made multiple profile for my apps, made xpadder "application aware" (so that the profile change depending on the focus application).

And I can now use the device in almost all situations. I say "almost" cause xpadder lack some functionnalities which make some information not usable in the limited "dpad/sticks" available. But with some fiddling you can find some workaround.

So all this to say that even if 3dc has still this "combo keys" bug, you can with the help of these two software USE THEM :)

All you have to do is deactivate some keys in the 3dx software, and associate them with xpadder, and voilà 3dc works as expected.

So you can now basicaly use the device in all apps. I've even configured firefox for the rotate to switch between tabs, the translation for forward/back in history (same with close/refresh) and the roll to scroll in the page (geeky stuff but pretty cool, I think that thing will become my new left hand mouse huhu)

With that in mind I will probably go with a space pilot pro since it offers more buttons than the old version, and is more recent (so probably longer tech support too).:)

• Contributor

Yep the knob is the same judging by the vendor id. But the buttons are not, on the space pilot pro, the config button doesn't exist, and I didn't find a button that does that profile switching. But it doesn't matter now with xpadder you have that ability.

As for mudbox, like I said you will have to find a workaround for one action. Xpadder is limited in number of dpads available with the device. So for example you will be able to get rotation/roll/zoom, but you wont be able to get pan, because the way the app works (you can't have alt+mouse click+drag at the same time you have to split those comment on two dpads). But you can stil change mud shortcut for the last function you can't map and add a simple input (like say a single key) and move the mouse around to get the effect desired.

Not perfect but better than no support at all.

• Advanced Member

Have you tried the 3D Lock button (center button among the view keys)? That is so handy to have in 3DC, otherwise you often skew your Orthographic angle when trying to line your object up in the viewport. You can still pan and zoom, but no tumble or spin.

Do you know if this feature would work with just the puck? Is there some hot key in 3D Coat to perform this Lock function without the 3dConnexion (definitely seems useful, hello Andrew???)

1-driver too closed (meaning i was hoping to make simple associations with the control gizmo in unsupported apps, but you can't), and not much applications supporting the device.

On the Mac, you can use these drivers to support 'unsupported' apps with the 3dConnexion:

http://www.orderedbytes.com

I only wish these were available on Win7, as they are light years ahead of anything available on the PC (my main platform, of course). It's a nodal programming system for the human interface devices.

On the PC, you may have some success using http://www.autohotkey.com/ with the 3dConnexion.

Scan through their forums, as I don't own a 3dConnexion.

• Contributor

I wasn't able to get anything working with that first driver (that supposedly allows programs to use Windows sensors), and for me, the XPadder isn't needed as I've already been able to program multiple hotkey sets for the SpacePilot. It looks like the Pro model has 10 function keys (5 + 5 when you press and hold), and I'm sure there is a toggle to go through different sets of those.

Xpadder is needed, not for hotkeys (wich are indeed supported in all apps) but for the 6dof gizmo. The driver itself is not helping unless you have an application to interact with those sensor informations (which xppadder enable with joystick/mouse support).

Silo demo: silo3dx.gif(speed not adjusted in rotations)

Now after some more testing, there's a major problem to these "forced support", th mosue cursor is moving when activating the device... I need to find a way to avoid this...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

For those using mice, is everyone using this with the opposite hand from the mouse (or is that just for the Space Navigator puck)?

I gather that for the puck (what I'm considering purchasing, really no room for anything else), it's designed to stay in one place (and not slide), so I'm wondering if I could put it on the mouse pad tray along with my mouse?

Or, is it really only useful when used with the mouse at the same time?

• Contributor

Looks like they have a promising driver out (in beta). Unfortunately not for my spacepilot (standard, not pro) yet. :(

http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?id=231

3D Mouse Anywhere

With the ingenious new 3DxWare 10 driver platform, its now possible to use a 3D mouse in any application. From Microsoft Office to internet browsers and from media players to games with 3DxWare 10, a 3D mouse can complement, or provide a compelling alternative to, most input devices including keyboard, traditional mouse, joystick and gamepads.

• Contributor

It's finally out ???? OMG RUSHING TO DOWNLOAD.

TO be more constructive: 3dcoatwannabe: I use the mouse with my other mouse, and to be honest using the two mice in the same hand makes no sense, no point (no time gained). But other may think otherwise.

[EDIT]Driver's is the same as xpadder. It's still moves the cursor in the windows. At least you get those functionalities for free now :/

• Reputable Contributor

It's not working with my SpacePilot. And it appears it's not on the compatible devices list. Sounds to me like this is just a ploy by 3DX to force anyone who shelled out $400 for the SpacePilot a few years ago, to HAVE to shell it out again. That ticks me off. If they make it and sell it, they are responsible to support it as long as the device is working. I cannot stand companies that try these underhanded tricks to force consumers to have to replace perfectly good devices simply because they decide to stop supporting their own products.

It's not working with my SpacePilot. And it appears it's not on the compatible devices list. Sounds to me like this is just a ploy by 3DX to force anyone who shelled out $400 for the SpacePilot a few years ago, to HAVE to shell it out again. That ticks me off. If they make it and sell it, they are responsible to support it as long as the device is working. I cannot stand companies that try these underhanded tricks to force consumers to have to replace perfectly good devices simply because they decide to stop supporting their own products.

I hope not since I just bought my SpacePilot.

• Contributor

I'd mentioned it didn't work with the Spacepilot, but do hope they plan on adding support for it. Even if not, my spacepilot works great for 3D Coat and Photoshop - the 2 main apps I bought it for (works with several other apps too). So, smile... be happy!

Greg

• Contributor

Guys, if you want spacepilot support, I suggest you to be voicy on their boards, I was talking with abnranger before, and looking at the drivers, the files are here the device is supported, but they coded their propertie panel to ignore the thing.

%HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C625.DeviceDesc%=3dxhid_Inst, HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C625 ; SpacePilot < INSTALLED IO DRIVER

%HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C626.DeviceDesc%=3dxhid_Inst, HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C626 ; SpaceNavigator

%HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C627.DeviceDesc%=3dxhid_Inst, HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C627 ; SpaceExplorer

%HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C628.DeviceDesc%=3dxhid_Inst, HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C628 ; SpaceNavigator for Notebooks

%HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C629.DeviceDesc%=3dxhid_Inst, HID\Vid_046D&Pid_C629&MI_01 ; SpacePilot PRO

<StringEntry>

<Key>STR_SPACENAVIGATOR</Key>

<Value>SpaceNavigator</Value>

</StringEntry>

<StringEntry>

<Key>STR_SPACENAVIGATOR_FOR_NOTEBOOKS</Key>

<Value>SpaceNavigator For Notebooks</Value>

</StringEntry>

<StringEntry>

<Key>STR_SPACEEXPLORER</Key>

<Value>SpaceExplorer</Value>

</StringEntry>

<StringEntry>

<Key>STR_SPACEPILOT_PRO</Key>

<Value>SpacePilot PRO</Value>

</StringEntry>

NO STRING to spacepilot for localization support. This means they don't want the thing to appear in the supported device list on the panel. Maybe it's temporary but I highly doubt it as everything is ready right now...

• Contributor

I did discover it on their forum and post on there. I really hope they include support, it's not like the Pro version is even that old, only a couple years.

I'm the source of the guy that posted it :) They deserve their board flooded with unsatisfied customer till they change their policy, I hate that kind of marketing trick, only making piles of perfectly fine hardware go to waste for the sake of consumerism.

Damn, that's really shocking to see that when used to the treat suppport of pilgway...

• Contributor

Yes, the same thing happened with Wacom when they stopped making drivers for the Intuos 1, forcing me to upgrade my tablet when the old one worked perfectly fine.

Well, at least, wacom resellers weren't still selling brand new intuos 1 when they stopped support it...The space pilot is still sold brand new on reseller websites. That's just plain wrong.

SS-2011-04-01_21.47.40.jpg

I went through the whole registration process just for this :D. I might end up purchasing one of these just because of the new drivers. Without the ability to use the software in all software it just is not worth the purchase for me.

Rich

• Contributor

3d connexion device is practical and very smart purchase, the Puck controller (Navigator) is probably the best buy, I myself have the space pilot pro, but quite honestly for functionallity I only ever use 2 of the keys and the rest of the features are wasted.

For retopology it is very smart indeed and really does save oodles of time enabling you to flick the model around and reach angles that some navigation types make difficult. its great for other apps too and if you have a mac there is a util that will let you use the controller for practically anything.

@ Beatkitano if your thinking of getting one just go for the Puck. honestly none of the other buttons + features are worth the extra $$$.