3DCoat Forums

Baking detail to low poly meshes

Dreamcube017

I have a problem.

How in the LIGHT do you retopoligize THIS???

129810731334.jpg

I've tried mutliple times and it didn't work. I think it's because there were some extra voxels in the layer elsewhere that I couldn't erase.

I've just exported two version so fothe model. I exported a low 2000 poly version and a high 144,000 poly version.

How do I bake the detail from the high poly model to the low poly model?

I tried using Big Mesh import, but I wasn't sure what to do.

I know there's another app to do this, but I think I'm know 3DC can do it already.

This is almost always the main issue I have with 3DC. I can never get it to polies through retopo. I just export straight from voxel. That way, I can be sure the shape is EXACTLY right and I can reduce it later. I just need to get the high poly details on the low mesh.

Thanks.

• Advanced Member

What you're asking is simply impossible. How to capture almost separated volumes on one single volume? Even with the use of displacement maps? To displace in what way? There're holes here. Not just bumps.

Another hard to do case. A thin cloth, a thin wing etc. Chaos!

See my point? I almost started a 'fight' against the way 3dc is developing. Against the workflow that 3dc UI suggests.

What to do? Simply construct a low clean and smooth voxel mesh (1M max) do topology and ONLY after this, you can sculpt possible details on this surface. We almost have this ability in 3dc (MV) and I'm still waiting for improvements.

After I realized this simple truth, I'm just exporting to another surface sculpting app and everything works fine. 3DC works fine too as I don't expect miracles like snapping a hi def cage around complicated meshes like the one you posted.

Try to work in MV mode and do some displ sculpting on clean topology. Not fantastic but you'll find yourself working on the real thing, the final project. :drinks:

For chain and rope cases, there's another way though. To directly export the curve as obj, to import it as topo mesh and UV unwrapping.

Please dont expect to bake chains on a 1000 faces mesh from voxels. There're brushes - alphas for this. Just directly paint them.

Thanks...

Great, there's a lot of work down the drain. Hmm....

Man, I'm afraid to do anything in the voxel room now... geeze. Even for larger things, I'm afraid it still won't come out right even though the larger things should work just fine.

As I said, I DO have a low poly version alright. (without holes,) so I guess I could paint on that. Thanks.

• Advanced Member
Man, I'm afraid to do anything in the voxel room now... geeze

DON"T :)

Just try to have a clear target in mind. You can save lot of details on a low poly mesh but not this kind of details.

If a spaceship or a machine using Tinkers tools is what you have in mind then you're in trouble. A low poly mesh is impossible this way.

I'm wondering, Why not to construct some nice alphas of these machines and directly paint them ... ok, I have an idea now. I'll test it.

• Advanced Member

In this case, just export directly from the curve tool. Much better believe me. You can reimport it for UVs and painting then.

Here, I have to admit that I already constructed low poly versions of some spline profiles. Used blender for this (0 at scaling when importing obj)