3DCoat Forums

Deringer Phillidelphia. Antique Pistol(WIP)

Roger_K

• Advanced Member

Thanks so much guys :) Ill keep this thread updated as i go. Im looking at how to do the embossed detail on the inset metal panels.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/49/p_standard/PRJ29-K-CU9-H.jpg

Its an odd balance, making things look hand made but not badly sculpted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've started texturing the low poly now, its mainly been photoshop work so far, will bring it into 3dc to fix seams.

Progress wise, I've got to a point where i like the metal on the barrel and hammer. the rest of the texture is just blocking, no real work has been done on it. Also the spec map is hacked together at the moment, i should be able to do better once i'm done with the diffuse.

heres a realtime render in the Maromoset Toolbag:

screenshot1.jpg

and one without colour correction

screenshot2.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Oh, nice metallic parts and ornaments!

But where as gone the wood feel with scratches?

You could show them a little more, for exemple with a

"more in cavity" on, in paint room.

Don't take it seriously, it is just because I'm in a

20000 miles under sea mood :)

• Advanced Member

Wow, nice job.. I have to go with Gragarape the wood looks to new or painted over.. I one in white distressed looks awesome you can tell it looks rough I know you can make it look much better with the color you have come this far with it..

• Advanced Member

Hey Guys

Thanks for the feedback :), as BeatKitano says, the wood/gold coloured metal is just a flat colour or a very basic base, the only part of the texture I've put any time into is the wrought iron, which I've been told is too noisy. I'm trying at the moment to find out exactly what metals were used on each part of the gun so i can do them justice without relying on blurry photos.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey, I got back to this after a long hiatus

Personally I think its getting close to done. Looking at it as I write I think i need to reduce the amount of noise in the texture a bit. (also i've made no effort to fix seams so ignore them, I'll deal with the ;))

Tri count is just under 4000, Texture size 2k

screenshot8-1.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot6-1.jpg

screenshot4-1.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Reaaally good work, nice, clean, I like it.

I've a little remark though, the barrel needs some love in the spec area: right now light is reflected as a soft perfect surface, some noise and a bit more contrast on that part would help the old metal feeling I think.

It's very visible on that picture screenshot8-1.jpg

But pro looking model for sure, with a proper light setupand offline render I think it could pass as a photograph easily.

• Like 1

great work! I have a question about your workflow, did you bake the normals from 3D Coat or another program? Wondering because I've been unable to get 3DC normals to render properly in Marmoset when I was trying it out.

• Advanced Member

BeatKitano: Thanks mate, will give the spec a tweak and see how it looks.

XRA:

Worflow is as follows

*Model Main forms and 'cutters' in max

*Sculpt in 3DC, subtract cutters.

*Bake Normals,Final Gather,Cavity in max

*Bake Blended Box Maps in max. (Wood, Metal, Grunge and so on)

*Bake Curviture map in XNormal.

*Texture in Photoshop, I'm finding 3DC less and less capable to give me what I want for painting. I can load Marmoset and PS, or

do it all in 3DC. Without support for coloured spec, and easy layer masking 3DC looses.

*Preview in Marmoset.(Still not sure if I will buy this or make a shader for max)

*(Future Step) fix seams in 3DC

If you want really nice normals for Marmoset you should use XNormal or Maya. Max and 3DC use a slightly different method of tangent calculation which can result in shading artifacts if your low poly has strong shading errors, not that either are wrong, just different.

I would have liked to do more of this in 3DC, but to be honest I'm getting pretty tired of the paint room being totally ignored. The speed just isnt good enough, masking is weird, spec is unintuitive and doesnt support colour or gloss, Comparitive to other tools I get less layers, there is no AO. There is no multiple map support, I cant offload data to disk.. the list is long and getting longer :(. Anywho I'm ranting.

Garagarape:

Thanks Mate :), Glad you like it.

• Advanced Member

Yes, I agree with you about the paint room.

It seems that, most of the time, sculpting tools are considered more important

than the paint tools. I found it sad that some of the options like "paint in cavity"

doesn't work fine as it use to in the early time of 3.5 version.

I noticed the difference with Xnormal normal baking too. And its AO is far better than 3dC one.

I tried to export with "dense quads" many times in order to get a fine NM baking in Xnormal,

but it is just tiring to merge Voxel layers (especially when they have different density),

degrade to reach a polygon count that the pc can deal with... I'm probably too lazy

to look at the specifications carefully and adapt a workflow to it.

Wait and see. I'm sure that 3dC will become better even if it takes time.

• Advanced Member

I reported the "paint in cavity" bug a long time ago.

But it may be considered as a minor bug.

The more people talk about it, the more it will be fixed

quickly IMO. So feel free to post something with a screen-shot as I did

2 or 3 monthes ago. Good luck!

Sorry Roger_K, it may not be a place to debate about bug like that.

Can't wait to see your next work!