3DCoat Forums

Black Splotches on object import

Dreamcube017

Hi everyone. I've made a simple model in C4D and exported it. The shape is correct, but the object has black splotches all over it. When I paint on it, marks pop up everywhere and not just on the spt I painted on. What's going on? It's just a normal .obj file.

129843388701.jpg

All I did was import it for microvertex painting. I tried once with smoothign on and again with smoothing off.

I've only painted the yellow line along one side, but it's on a bunch of different ones.

Is this a UV problem?

• Reputable Contributor

Hi everyone. I've made a simple model in C4D and exported it. The shape is correct, but the object has black splotches all over it. When I paint on it, marks pop up everywhere and not just on the spt I painted on. What's going on? It's just a normal .obj file.

All I did was import it for microvertex painting. I tried once with smoothign on and again with smoothing off.

I've only painted the yellow line along one side, but it's on a bunch of different ones.

Is this a UV problem?

It does look like UV's are a mess. You can open the Texture UV editor from the Texture Menu and inspect the layout and enable wireframe to see where it's screwed up

I'm trying to UV the object in 3DC, but the problem I'm having is I can't figure out what translates to what from the UV space to 3D space.

For example, if I make an island in 3D space and move the mouse over it, it's a trapazoid shape. When I'm looking at the main UV map... I see that shape NOWHERE on the map. How can I scale, ove or rotate that particular island if I can't even find it on the map. I also could just pick an island on the map and start moving it, but I don't know exactly what I'm selecting so I have to move something around and then go back and see if anything changed on the 3D viewport.

I know that if I move the mouse over the object in 3D space, the UV space jumps to that island group, but the group seems to be a different shape from what it is normally.

It'd be REALLY helpful if when you highlighted something in UV space, it lit up in 3D space, or if you could select an island in 3D space, it'd show up in 2D space.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm trying to UV the object in 3DC, but the problem I'm having is I can't figure out what translates to what from the UV space to 3D space.

For example, if I make an island in 3D space and move the mouse over it, it's a trapazoid shape. When I'm looking at the main UV map... I see that shape NOWHERE on the map. How can I scale, ove or rotate that particular island if I can't even find it on the map. I also could just pick an island on the map and start moving it, but I don't know exactly what I'm selecting so I have to move something around and then go back and see if anything changed on the 3D viewport.

I know that if I move the mouse over the object in 3D space, the UV space jumps to that island group, but the group seems to be a different shape from what it is normally.

It'd be REALLY helpful if when you highlighted something in UV space, it lit up in 3D space, or if you could select an island in 3D space, it'd show up in 2D space.

When you move your mouse over the object in 3D space, all that you will see in the UV preview is a preview of that island only...so don't worry about 3D Space. Use the lasso select pen (from E-Panel) to select your islands. Once selected you'll see a transform gizmo appear.

Yeah, but I'm not quite sure what parts on the flat UV map relate to the 3D space.

It'd be really nice if you could select faces and things in the 2D space and they'd highlight in the 3D space.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, but I'm not quite sure what parts on the flat UV map relate to the 3D space.

It'd be really nice if you could select faces and things in the 2D space and they'd highlight in the 3D space.

They do. You'll see a light blue highlight.

Here are some good tutorials that go into more detail:

http://www.3d-coat.com/tutorial/free-tutorial/uv-mapping/

AH I think I understand now! I didn't realize after makintg the islands, you have to unwrap the model. Now it makes a bit more sense.

Thanks.

I'm having another problem where importing the mesh causes it to deform in some odd ways, but I'll make that into another post after doing some tests... I'm not sure if it's the model, or 3D Coat... or a combination of both.

• Reputable Contributor

AH I think I understand now! I didn't realize after makintg the islands, you have to unwrap the model. Now it makes a bit more sense.

Thanks.

I'm having another problem where importing the mesh causes it to deform in some odd ways, but I'll make that into another post after doing some tests... I'm not sure if it's the model, or 3D Coat... or a combination of both.

Remember, if you are doing UV's in the UV Rooom instead of the Retopo Room, there is one last step and that is "Apply UV Set." I'm not sure why it's not required in the Retopo room, but is for the UV room.