3DCoat Forums

Working with CUBE primitive

themacguy

I'm having trouble getting anywhere with anything other than the voxel-room, and render-room....

Anything much more complex than a simple cube just hangs/freezes the program, and I have to force-quit, or even reboot my MacPro to get going again.

Still having ongoing problems with the SPHERE primitive, which only work for very very small spheres---larger ones have huge gaps in the polygonal "skin"

when the sphere is released from the sphere-primitive-Gizmo....

So... Now working with a simple (?) cube primitive. Creates okay, "Releases" okay...

I finally found the "retopo" command in the voxel-tree, by right-clicking on the object in the vox-tree.

So... NOW what? Playing around---or I should probably say MESSING around in the paint-room,

the few times that anything has even shown up in the paint-room

(usually it, and the UV room and the sculpt room are completely BLANK... I get very very SLOPPY results when

I try to colour the 6 sides of the cube, in anything like an approximation of "sharp accurate edges"---take well over an HOUR

to do this, and it looks HORRIBLE...

I am seemingly unable to make any clean, sharp edged selections... Practically impossible to colour each cubeface

with a different flat colour. IE: a very straightforward (?) basic "working with a defined selection" sort of task..

So, what is the correct method/workflow, to make and select a defined, sharp-edged selection of the faces of a cube?,

Colour each a different colour, And then......???

I'm running out of conceptual language that I UNDERSTAND, at this point---next step, I THINK, is to "peel the skin off"

of the coloured cube. to create a "UV Map"....... I'm still not entirely clear just what a UV map is... A separate image for each cube face?

I would THINK I should end up with something resembling THIS (see attached JPEG) post-4148-0-07180400-1298524876_thumb.jp

But I'm not getting anything that looks remotely like this... I can construct this "peeled cube" image in Photoshop in about 3 minutes...

Why is it so difficult/impossible to do in 3DC???

Until I get this working, my next desired step, which is to create ACCURATELY bevelled edges, and have them assigned a different material...is still a long way away!... :-/

I guess I'm still at the "playing in the sand-box with my toy blocks" stage of the game---and not even getting THAT right..! ;-}} :-//

Please advise! :-)