3DCoat Forums

D-BOGG's Sketchbook

D-BOGG

Hello everyone,

I haven't had time to use 3DC till today, so I figure I would start a sketchbook thread for crits and comments. Here's my first character I'm working on at the moment. About an hour and a half so far, I still plan on finishing as much of the character as my computer will allow. I'm thinking of making the character into a punk/biker chick in the future. So I'll also model a bunch of accessories and hopefully pose her as well.

post-5965-0-83015300-1298582906_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hello everyone,

I haven't had time to use 3DC till today, so I figure I would start a sketchbook thread for crits and comments. Here's my first character I'm working on at the moment. About an hour and a half so far, I still plan on finishing as much of the character as my computer will allow. I'm thinking of making the character into a punk/biker chick in the future. So I'll also model a bunch of accessories and hopefully pose her as well.

Pretty cool. You can use the muscles tool to get a lot finer strands of hair. As you reduce your brush size, naturally the finer the strand. As long as you have enough resolution it should look good. In fast, as far as sculpting hair or fibers, I don't see any other application touching 3DC, just because of the nature of voxels.

One small suggestion to the model would be making the jaw line much more rounded in shape. It's just a tad on the masculine side at the moment. Some females have broader jaw lines than normal, but they still have softer angles overall than males, which tend to be more abrupt.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the hair idea and the critique. Just curious if this looks more feminine now that I've softened the jaw line like you said. Also I tried out the muscle tool and think its a fantastic way to add hair, thanks once again.

That works. Looking good thus far. :good:

Hey thanks,

Well the previous piece I was working on exploded, 3DC seems to hate my ATI card. Lesson learned save in incremental save often. So I started a bust of Oenomaus from Spartacus for fun. The base mesh is made from 3DC and Autopo, then ported to Zbrush. A slight amount of blur done in Photoshop in post due to jaggies of BPR in Zbrush.

post-5965-0-81139400-1298942780_thumb.jp

Created the base mesh and UV's in 3DC. Basic sculpting done in Zbrush. This was done mostly to test out how to rig in messiah. If I can get it to work properly i'll post the model for free on setup tab so people can try to rig non-standard creatures for practice.

post-5965-0-20718000-1299628755_thumb.jp

I decided to make a bust to try out facial rigging in Messiah. Base sculpt and retopology was done in 3DC, mesh cleanup and extraction in Silo. I liked the guy, but the proportions weren't the greatest so I brought it into Zbrush to further refine it. I still have to work on the ear, body horns and mouth, but it's slowly coming along. The gray colored one is the current version, the brownish was the 3DC version.

post-5965-0-68480000-1299869103_thumb.jp

post-5965-0-86477900-1299869179_thumb.jp

I got a little further with the bust, but I don't like what I did to the horns on the back of the head so those will have to be tweaked. After that I'll probably work on the ears and body more, then I'll UV him and test out displacement in Messiah.

post-5965-0-85224400-1299873913_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I took a break from sculpting in 3DC for a while because of all the crashes. I must say I'm extremely happy with the current build as an ATI card user. There have been 0 crashes so far for me, when I would normally have 5-10 depending on the luck I had. Anyways big thanks to Andrew for constantly improving this great piece of software. Here's just a big dude I made in an hour for fun started it as a sphere in voxel room then went to the Surface mode for all of the details.trognoao.jpg

post-5965-0-44298300-1302669983_thumb.jp

Hey man thanks for the compliment. Anyways the only reason it was fast was because I was working on areas that I'm comfortable with. I started tweaking the hands and feet and that ended up slowing my pace down quite a bit. Anyways here's a shot of the back of the character I am working on.

trogback.jpg

Decided to work on my modeling weaknesses which are females, hand and feet. Here's a head I made with no reference used other than the hair. Not sure if it looks like a man or not. Next female bust will be heavily referenced so I can build some muscle memory for forms.

post-5965-0-52209100-1302792305_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Hmm, Looks a little feline, Not sure if that is your intention? Nose lacks human definition. Jaw line a little too heavy. Go back and look at the underlying skull shape and forehead eye socket area are too pointed in center. Sorry for heavy crit. But i do look forward to your Referenced sculpt. Your use of the application is nice and you show good sculpting skills. Reference and study is everything with faces. keep going.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys thanks for the comments. Looked up Thorgal reminds me alot of golden age Conan comics, thanks for mentioning it. As for the toes, I added boots to the character and will be refining them. I also figured out a bunch of new tools I have never played with so I'll probably work on this a bit more as i'm having alot of fun at the moment.