3DCoat Forums

control "overspray" on edges/corners in Paint room?

simmsimaging

• Advanced Member

I have always had this issue painting in 3DC: painting on a surface (like a cube for example) and getting near the edge always creates a stretched out overspray down the other (90 degree angled) sides of the shape. It's almost impossible to avoid in 3DC, for me anyway. This is taken care of in Zbrush via the brush controls that prevent spraying over edges or beyond certain surface angles etc, but I cannot figure out how to prevent it in 3DC. It makes it very hard to paint details on edges of things without messing up their surface, and vice-versa. Is there some kind of control that I'm missing? It's gotta be there somewhere....

Thanks /b

• Reputable Contributor

Check the video out by Taros (Paint over mesh borders)

It also helps with your problem...

Scroll to bottom of the page.

http://3dcoat.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-01-03T18%3A08%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7

Also you can open up the Texture UV Editor under the Textures menu and paint directly on the flat 2D UV map... B)

Plus in the effects panel you can use the triangle brush (last one on the right) to paint directly on just the individual polygons of the mesh, great for nice clean base coating.

• Advanced Member

Check the video out by Taros (Paint over mesh borders)

It also helps with your problem...

Scroll to bottom of the page.

http://3dcoat.blogsp...0&max-results=7

Also you can open up the Texture UV Editor under the Textures menu and paint directly on the flat 2D UV map... B)

Plus in the effects panel you can use the triangle brush (last one on the right) to paint directly on just the individual polygons of the mesh, great for nice clean base coating.

That Triangle painting is handy! Never saw that before - thanks for the tip!

I am aware of the 2D route, and that is how I usually go back and fix things up, but it is still creating a lot of unnecessary work for me and would rather avoid it. I will check that link out too - thanks for that as well.

b

• Advanced Member

That Triangle painting is handy! Never saw that before - thanks for the tip!

I am aware of the 2D route, and that is how I usually go back and fix things up, but it is still creating a lot of unnecessary work for me and would rather avoid it. I will check that link out too - thanks for that as well.

b

I checked the vid - it doesn't really apply to this issue unfortunately, but it's a cool fix in the program :)

I have tried several times now with Fade on Edge off and on and it makes zero difference in this file. Is it possible this function is broken in the latest build?

b

Thank's for the tip on the Triangle poly fill tool Digman !!! :yahoo:

I use 3DCoat for mostly texturing hard-surfaced arch models with hard poly boundries. In the past I've always used the "hide" tool to restrict painting to visable polys. The problem with this method is now the painted polys are "hidden" ... :blink: So lining up textures (like coarses of bricks, blocks and stones, going around the main body of a lighthouse) are very tough and pretty much guess work. This tool will help greatly :good:

Thank's Digman !!!