3DCoat Forums

newbie voxel import/modelling questions

wchris

Hello,

i'm a begginner and i'm not sure of my workflow.

I took an old model made with another modeler and broken in 3 parts. Legs, arms, and body.

i managed somehow to import everything into 3D coat voxel system.

post-6128-0-60369300-1299400076_thumb.jp

but now i hit many walls an i hope to find some answers here. Many thanks because i have many questions.

- my leg was the wrong side; i used symetry to make it the same orientation as the half body, but deleted the original other side leg by hand with scultp tools. Is there a way to select a group of voxels with a square and delete them all in one click ?

- My Leg was the last added object. now sculp tools only work on that leg no more on the body or arm. How to re-select them to be able to re-sculpt the body or arm ?

- How do i merge the 3 voxel objects into one big one ?

:yahoo:

It sounds like you have 3 voxel layers after you imported your object. Rename one of the layers to something like "Whole Character" - right click on that layer and select "Merge visible". A copy of all other layers will be merged into this layer. The original layers will remain, so you might want to click the "eye" icon to hide them.

Now, press "2" on your numeric keypad to get a front view (you might even want to switch to an orthographic view - (the last icon before the "Camera" menu).

Press "E" to bring up the "Selection" tools, and select the one that looks like a polygon.

Select "Carve" from the voxel Tool Panel, hold down control (reverse Carve), make a polygon that surrounds the offending leg - making sure to close the polygon by hovering over the first point until you get a hollow green circle, and press "Enter".

Bingo! The leg is gone - never to appear again.

Greg Smith

It sounds like you have 3 voxel layers after you imported your object. Rename one of the layers to something like "Whole Character" - right click on that layer and select "Merge visible". A copy of all other layers will be merged into this layer. The original layers will remain, so you might want to click the "eye" icon to hide them.

Now, press "2" on your numeric keypad to get a front view (you might even want to switch to an orthographic view - (the last icon before the "Camera" menu).

Press "E" to bring up the "Selection" tools, and select the one that looks like a polygon.

Select "Carve" from the voxel Tool Panel, hold down control (reverse Carve), make a polygon that surrounds the offending leg - making sure to close the polygon by hovering over the first point until you get a hollow green circle, and press "Enter".

Bingo! The leg is gone - never to appear again.

Greg Smith

Hi Greg,

The E shortcut was usefull, I successfully cut of my leg with your help :D Thank you

i also found the Voxtree menu. i merged layers there.

i own 3dcoat for a while, but my old graphics card was not able to make it run a decent speed. Not that i have a GTX 460 I rediscover the software and WOAW! :good:

i still have an unexpected problem with my arm. My arm is hollow and my leg is plain. So when i use smooth on my arm it bores holes thru it :pardon: how ca i make my arm plain (filled with voxels) ?

post-6128-0-95263100-1299489545_thumb.jp

Thank you

You can try Right-clicking on the "Arm" layer and selecting "Fill Voids". Then, use "Res+" from the Voxel Tool panel to increase the resolution of the arm. When you "Smooth" a low res Voxel model, holes often occur.

The cure for many holes and artifacts is to increase the Voxel resolution - just not too high. Try one step at a time, and stop when things like smoothing no longer punch holes.

However, looking at your character - it looks simple enough to re-create using the Voxel tools in 3D-Coat. Why not give it a try? This way, you can have total control on the resolution of each layer - as you create it.

I don't know if you've watched these yet, but I've made a video series that covers lots of the things you are trying to do called:

3D-Coat From Scratch

Greg Smith

You can try Right-clicking on the "Arm" layer and selecting "Fill Voids". Then, use "Res+" from the Voxel Tool panel to increase the resolution of the arm. When you "Smooth" a low res Voxel model, holes often occur.

The cure for many holes and artifacts is to increase the Voxel resolution - just not too high. Try one step at a time, and stop when things like smoothing no longer punch holes.

However, looking at your character - it looks simple enough to re-create using the Voxel tools in 3D-Coat. Why not give it a try? This way, you can have total control on the resolution of each layer - as you create it.

I don't know if you've watched these yet, but I've made a video series that covers lots of the things you are trying to do called:

3D-Coat From Scratch

Greg Smith

I have found the "Fill inner hollows" function, this fixed my arm, thank you. :)

I'll follow the tutorial you pointed to. But i also wanted to check my workflow with other 3D apps i have. Seems to go pretty well finally :good:

Thank you Greg

:clapping: