3DCoat Forums

3Dcoat on Asus's Ep121 Windows7 Slate

Routb3d

• Advanced Member

I did it..

I gave my Ipad to the GF and the kids and bought ASUS's windows 7 slate.. It was Time to put down the mobile media toy and pick up a mobile powerhouse!

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QhWKR7Fmv4jDLbBY

3Dcoat runs surprisingly well on the slate. Pinch zoom works! The pen is less pressure sensitive than a Cintiq but certainly works on the go for roughing things out.. The IPS display looks fabulous..

This is just to say "If you want to jump in, the water is fine!" :)

Side notes:

I ordered another 3Dconnexion Space Pilot.. I'm going to take this one apart, measure the guts and re-engineer a case that clips on to the side of the slate.. Im going to place the buttons on the back and the handle on the side. The handle will be about as thick as a pencil and fold down and out of the way with a little pressure.. Ill have the parts for the new case printed on a rapid prototyping machine. If anyone else wants to do this I would be happy to share my STL files so that you can have the case printed and sent to you..

I bought the 2gb ram + 32gb hard drive model.. Cost about $230 to upgrade to 4gb Ram + Intel 80GB hard drive that is much faster..

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

Sounds good!

It is really incredible how hard Wacom seems to be sleeping these days - they could sell loads of Devices of that Size

and Portability with Cintiq-Performance inbuilt! Make sure to upload a short Clip showcasing its performance somewhere.

Also your custom Clip-On Device sounds interesting.

Sounds good!

It is really incredible how hard Wacom seems to be sleeping these days - they could sell loads of Devices of that Size

and Portability with Cintiq-Performance inbuilt! Make sure to upload a short Clip showcasing its performance somewhere.

Also your custom Clip-On Device sounds interesting.

The digitizer in the EEE Slate is actually a Wacom. I would like to see more of these devices, but I imagine manufacturers are not brave enough to wade the unknown waters.

I gave my Ipad to the GF and the kids and bought ASUS's windows 7 slate.. It was Time to put down the mobile media toy and pick up a mobile powerhouse!

Perhaps you can answer something for me. In the pictures and videos I've seen of this device, it looks like the pen does not have the RMB+LMB rocker buttons on it. Is that true? It seems like it would be very difficult to use 3DC with out them.

• Advanced Member

Perhaps you can answer something for me. In the pictures and videos I've seen of this device, it looks like the pen does not have the RMB+LMB rocker buttons on it. Is that true? It seems like it would be very difficult to use 3DC with out them.

your right. the Pen that comes with the EP121 does Not have side switches. However, Axiotron makes perfectly Compatible replacement pens that do. I keep the Axiotron Studio pen for work. I also have an old toshiba pen that has a single Button. I cut the clip off that one and it fits nicely in the holder. All Wacom tablet PC pens work.

• Reputable Contributor

If it only has 4GB's, that's much too limiting in 3D Coat, in my opinion...no matter how portable it may be. Less than 8GB is hard to work with, especially if you work on models that you've previously edited on a desktop. I had the same issue with a laptop I purchased last summer. Upgrading to 8GB made life a lot easier in this regard.

• Advanced Member

Good news on my Space pilot mod. The case Came apart easy. the guts are tiny! The device has a giant chunk of steel weighing it down. I disconnected the LED display and everything still works brilliantly. No need to design a new case. . All I have to do is saw off the unnecessary parts of the casing and patch the back with a thin sheet of ABS plastic. I can basically remove everything above the top row of Buttons and below the bottom Curved edge of the dark grey panel surrounding the lower Buttons. Its going to be a much more manageable size. I positioned the space pilot against the back of the slate the way I intend to use it. After reversing some of the axis in the driver the Space Pilot felt surprisingly natural being relatively backwards to the screen. Ill post pics soon. One thing to note is that 3Connexion Drivers are hell on Batteries. Must be all of the fancy Blue Leds.

IC

• 4 weeks later...

Asus slate video for 3d apps added to youtube!

hey guys I posted a request on another forum for someone to post a video and they did. no 3d coat test :( but zbrush and maya tested briefly you will get the idea! I know Im sold at this point. hope this helps everyone

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there, I have a Ep121 and downloaded the demo of 3d coat but it dosnt seem to work on my tablet. What version did you install and was there any problems ?

Install the non-CUDA version and run it in DX mode. That's what works for me.

-Patrick