3DCoat Forums

Workflow Integration Help

Amos

Hey! I'm new here and love the look of this software, I've had it open for awhile and it seems pretty user friendly. I've got a few questions though, hopefully someone here can hook me up. Thanks!

: I would love to use the auto-retopology tool, but, I want to bring in models from elsewhere. So Far I think I have to convert my .obj mesh into a Voxel in order to use this feature? If not, let me know please! and point me in the right direction. If so, how? I can't find any convert to voxel.

Whenever I draw my "Strokes" on the mesh in Retopo I've been trying to switch to Voxel > Going to Vox tree > Open Auto Re-Topo > then sneakily switch back once I get the menu (it would be a strange round about way if this were the way you had to do it) then trying to run it in retopo aaaaand.. It doesn't work.

-Also, I have been able to get it to work fine if mesh started as a voxel, in voxel tab. Double checked that, but, I would like to retopo mesh from elsewhere with this super handy tool.

Let me know!

Thanks abunch,

~

Am

• Reputable Contributor

Hey! I'm new here and love the look of this software, I've had it open for awhile and it seems pretty user friendly. I've got a few questions though, hopefully someone here can hook me up. Thanks!

: I would love to use the auto-retopology tool, but, I want to bring in models from elsewhere. So Far I think I have to convert my .obj mesh into a Voxel in order to use this feature? If not, let me know please! and point me in the right direction. If so, how? I can't find any convert to voxel.

Whenever I draw my "Strokes" on the mesh in Retopo I've been trying to switch to Voxel > Going to Vox tree > Open Auto Re-Topo > then sneakily switch back once I get the menu (it would be a strange round about way if this were the way you had to do it) then trying to run it in retopo aaaaand.. It doesn't work.

-Also, I have been able to get it to work fine if mesh started as a voxel, in voxel tab. Double checked that, but, I would like to retopo mesh from elsewhere with this super handy tool.

Let me know!

Thanks abunch,

~

Am

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking without some sort of video screen capture (Jing, BB Flashback are free). But Autopo only works, currently on Voxel objects, so yes, you do need to merge the model into voxels first. You can access the Vox Tree layer panel in the retopo room (windows>vox tree). If you don't like the result, you can delete the retopo layer created and start the autopo process again. It will keep your strokes intact, without disgarding them...unless you want to discard them and start over (hit CLEAR to do that)