3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

Hi all

Recently I´ve been doing some ground work, polishing FillHoles tool and other internal tools. Nothing fun to show but definitelly improving robustness and inbetween added here and there small useful new features, like the one I´ve being showing in this quick and dirt video series.

Like proportinal inflate, I´ve recently added too in Separate disconnected functionality a treshold to delete smaller parts. Very common when we import noisy meshes with lots of floating parts.
One of the most important feature is the possibility to bridge and connect seperated meshes manually, like I show here: http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/fillholes-revamp-test-1/

So stay tunned because the real fun my start soon for me :P
Cheers
Raul

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Just today realize how long since my last post, sadly being in Cuba prevents me from regular updates.
Last months ive being working polishing A LOT the FillHoles tools for purposes way beyond regular sculpting to the point of making it a very powerful tool on they own for mesh healing. I will probably make a short video soon featuring a complete workflow for that tools but honestly, this offline situation that has prolonged more than a year now is demotivating me a lot.
Ive started working on a quadrangulation tool that proves to be challenging and interesting enough to drive me trough this situation.
Hope in new post I will be a little more happy :)

Cheers to all

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

REVAMP OF VOLUMETRIC SHELL

Hi

These days I have to go back to volumetric Shell (Non intersecting extrusion/offset tool) and along with many tweaks Ive improved the core algorithm so now non manifold cases should never happen, borders quality is improved too.

This are some random dev screenshots I would like to share because I love to watch other devs random screens! LOL

uyop.png?w=690&h=388capturejopu.png?w=690&h=635captureuip.png?w=690&h=578jlktru.png?w=690&h=611tyiyioo.png?w=690&h=388

• 1 month later...

ARBITRARY CONTOUR QUADRANGULATION

Hi

Quadrangulating as ¨even¨ as possible an arbitrary contour, is by no means an easy task, many algorithm exists and even complete thesis have being written about that.

Recently I was developing such a tool that can be used for improve realtime retopology.

I have tested it with arbitrary contours and even ill hspaed ones and generally it performs quite good and for patch like contours used in automatic retopo it really excels :)

Cheersret.jpg?w=690&h=557bestofall.jpg?w=690bestofallcube.jpg?w=690&h=648good.jpg?w=690&h=620jgy.jpg?w=690&h=628quad1.jpg?w=690quads3.jpg?w=690quads4.jpg?w=690quads6.jpg?w=690quads8.jpg?w=690qube5.jpg?w=690&h=661

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please feel free to add any thoughts in his site

Farsthary Site redesign

My time has come, finally I’m free from all limitations I had in Cuba: I’m in United States of America, and I’m here to stay. It was a long dream and a hard road to get here, even traumatic to the point I will not share, but I’ve made it!

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Site redesign

My time has come, finally I’m free from all limitations I had in Cuba: I’m in United States of America, and I’m here to stay. It was a long dream and a hard road to get here, even traumatic to the point I will not share, but I’ve made it!

Congratulations!! I'm extremely happy for you!

• Advanced Member

Congrats Raul!  I know you've been working towards this for a long time!  Hopefully you'll still a part of the Pilgway crew though right?

• Reputable Contributor

Congrats Raul!  I know you've been working towards this for a long time!  Hopefully you'll still a part of the Pilgway crew though right?

Yes, he is, and hopefully in a much greater capacity, now that he is largely free of all the limitations he had in Cuba. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Farsthary said

Excellent!  Welcome to the US.  :D

Hi All!!!

Yes, I've made it! and of course I'm still part of Pilgway, now better than ever :)

Still I'm warming up, just arrived to Orlando, Florida and need to do a lot of paperwork, legalization, moving to my own place, but I expect to be  at full really soon

more so because I have now a world of open opportunities after more than a year pretty much offline in Cuba, demotivated and performing ground work.

Now I have the motivation to push the accelerator :P

Thank you all for your welcome words! I'm still disoriented for all the new things I need to learn as quick as possible to the way of living here and everything helps a lot!

• Like 5

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome to the States! Raul.

I lived in Orlando and 2 other cities in Florida a number of years ago... I am across the Gulf of Mexico from you in South Texas, Corpus Christi area...

Edited by digman

Welcome Raul! And congratulations on achieving one of your dreams. :) I've never been to Orlando, but if it's anything like Miami, I'm sure it's pretty fun. Enjoy your time.

Also looking forward to what you are cooking up for 3DC!

I lived in Orlando for a year for school, right around the corner from Universal Studios actually. It's a nice place. I'd love to move back there. Good luck getting settled and remember, as they say in Florida, if you don't like the weather go across the street!

• 2 weeks later...

Source

Arbitrary 3D contour convex partitioning heuristic

Hi all

before.png?w=700
Some time ago I’ve developed an automatic quad fill routine to tessellate an arbitrary 3D contour into quads, as even as possible. That algorithm is quite good indeed but suboptimal for L-shapes, T-shapes and in general for complex concave contours.
So these days I’m quite busy trying to figure out an algorithm for spatial splitting the contour. After squeezing my brain finally found a very nice heuristic to split the contour at corner feature points. I’m exited because is very powerful and works in any arbitrary 3D spatial shapes. This algorithm will serve beyond the QuadFill tool and Im figuring out few interesting new geometric tools for it!
Here are some screenshots of the intermediate process with visual debugging.

capturrtre.png?w=700

captdfaure.png?w=700

getting-better.png?w=700got-it.png?w=700&h=605

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
QuadFill tool

Hi

Finally iron out the remaining issues and is done! QuadFill is a tool aimed for quadrangulating an arbitrary 3D contours,  for testing purposes I used holes boundaries which I can easily create and shape in arbitrary forms so i can quickly test and debug the tool. But it will be used in places other than filling holes for which we ave an extensive set of algorithms. So will be more suited for retopo, autopo, and the like. The good thing is that is quite robust and flexible, given any vertex contours it will be quad dominant and produce at most, 1 triangle and the rest will be quads. Of course , that remaining triangle can be easily avoided if in a preprocess step the contour is made of even number of vertices, without loosing generality.

In previous iterations of this tool I have not addressed the complex contour case, like T-shapes, X-shapes, C, L and the like, non convex forms, causing it to fail at those:

fail1.png?w=700 mal2.png?w=700&h=593Now I have solved the general contour partition, avoiding uneven splitting, interpolating and recursive filling of each convex area. Eventually merging and smoothing/beautifying  the output mesh. Underlying steps are optimal or quasi optimal for initial contour constraints considering edge vertex are unmovable.

1.png?w=700&h=576 2.png?w=700&h=642 3.png?w=700

Cheers

Quadrangulation test

A quick test of the quadrangulation algorithm for arbitrary contours, I have remapped the functionality to the close holes tools just for development purposes, so don’t take the Interface as is, also the results are not turned into actual geometry for now. Is just to test how well and robust the algorithm can optimally fill any given contour (the holes) with quads. By no means a trivial task.  ;)

What actual tools would you think can benefit from this?

Cheers

• Contributor

Yes, like Javis said, this can give the user more control and speed up work in the Autopo or manual retopology tools. We could paint areas where we want edge flow to change direction, and then click apply to get automatic retopology there.