3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

I would not call it awesome. It is really cool, but I wait for a real quad paint routine and hope Raul will think about a development. I have time and he have no pressure to realise it.

By the way: What we see here is a "quad fill" function and NOT a quad paint function. :) Quad paint ist something completely different in my eyes and was described often in the recent time. A quad paint brush creates quad strokes represented by a quad tesselated stripe. A very nice solution can be seen here developed for blender: https://youtu.be/op2rMKDEUzQ?t=147

Here is another one called "Retopo Flow". It is an add on for blender and one of the best on the market. Retopo Flow offers all you need for retopo work (Really!). It is not free, but the price is ok.

This is what I would like to see in 3D-Coat. :)

Don't misunderstand me: It is really cool, what Raul currently does and it is the right way.

• Like 4

@Taros

Thanks, yes, a similar tool for quad strips is following next in my Todo list, after developing this tool is not harder to accomplish that, and I meant starting really soon.

@Michaelgdrs

Just a quick update: it does not generate N-gons, is a Quad dominant remeshing so is most quads with some triangles, but never an N-gon (n>4) also, depending on your stroke you get more or less cleaner results. if you go wild stroking like I did in the second part of the video you get arbitrary meshing, but if you do steady and quad-like patches like in the first part you will get more even fill. Stroke shape and spacing controls the tilling.

I know the poly flow is not quite there yet, and I have stated that before, but digging deeper in that will be done in the next major iteration of that tool. For now I must focus on the work flow of the tool, clearing bugs and optimizing it (is 80% done) the way strokes are welded/intersected, the way we can start painting from closest stroke points, etc, all of that is done already.

Te problem with the polygon flow is that there are hundreds of papers out there on theory of how to achieve them and very few practical hints (I've study them a lot)

So for now is more a prototype fill, it will have some ill geometry but can be quickly corrected using all other topology tools. And once I implement a good quad fill routine it will be easy to drop in place and update it.

• Like 4

@Taros

Thanks, yes, a similar tool for quad strips is following next in my Todo list, after developing this tool is not harder to accomplish that, and I meant starting really soon.

@Michaelgdrs

Just a quick update: it does not generate N-gons, is a Quad dominant remeshing so is most quads with some triangles, but never an N-gon (n>4) also, depending on your stroke you get more or less cleaner results. if you go wild stroking like I did in the second part of the video you get arbitrary meshing, but if you do steady and quad-like patches like in the first part you will get more even fill. Stroke shape and spacing controls the tilling.

I know the poly flow is not quite there yet, and I have stated that before, but digging deeper in that will be done in the next major iteration of that tool. For now I must focus on the work flow of the tool, clearing bugs and optimizing it (is 80% done) the way strokes are welded/intersected, the way we can start painting from closest stroke points, etc, all of that is done already.

Te problem with the polygon flow is that there are hundreds of papers out there on theory of how to achieve them and very few practical hints (I've study them a lot)

So for now is more a prototype fill, it will have some ill geometry but can be quickly corrected using all other topology tools. And once I implement a good quad fill routine it will be easy to drop in place and update it.

Great news Raul. Thank you for the feedback.

Take the time you need. The better the results will be later.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Looking good. I have noticed that at the beginning of the video, when you lay down the first patch, the poly flow is not straight, but it turns on the upper part of the patch instead. Is it because the geometry tries to follow the curvature of a reference surface?

Is the tool included as one of the beta tools in 4.5.18 by any chance? :)

http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/sketch-retopo/

http://research.nii.ac.jp/~takayama/

Hope it help

• Like 2

• Contributor

Thank you Raul for all the hard work you have put into the Quad Paint tool! It is definitely already a good tool for the Retopo Room in 3D-Coat!

Of course all of us would still like something even more complex, and I think the sketch-based retopo method that Carlosan suggested is good, but I saw another approach that you will probably find interesting as well.

Please have a look:

http://lesterbanks.com/2015/05/data-driven-retopology/

Thanks again!

When that is stable and good will go back to the internals polishing

1. Rewritten SimpleStroke class to make topology updates faster/easier. Will focus on the GUI and workflow first of recent retopo tools

When that is stable and good will go back to the internals polishing

Nice progress but without good control for the artist. I don't want to "play" with curves I need to control them.

If you ask me the current curves in 3D-Coat are very good already.

But I wait. All this is still under development. Don't interprate my critics too negative. The audience is always insatiable... ;)

What about real bezier splines with lockable/unlockable handles?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Implemented split stroke with Ctrl+click DoubleClick for vertex removal Simple Stroke class mirrors the interface of spline strokes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple Strokes can be arbitrarily welded now, so a single control point can affect any number of strokes

CSWRmDeWIAIBI3c.png