3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• Applink Developer

Resample bug fixed in the latest beta but I still see this one. 

Here is an other one.

http://recordit.co/z8iabSSzDF

1. Paint something with LC brush into default surface sphere

2. Go to Voxel mode and then press undo and then again go to voxel mode.

3. Sculpt something into surface.

Please not black as it is almost invisible against the dark bray of my Theme. I can hilight the text to read it but must I?

Dark bray?! All white in the default theme... Do I am something wrong?!

Or are there too much themes?

• Contributor

Dark bray?! All white in the default theme... Do I am something wrong?!

Or are there too much themes?

The all white default theme is bad for your eyes after extended viewing. It's unfortunate that Pilgway chose it as the default. Luckily there is an older dark gray theme available in the options at the bottom of the forum page. If you're interested, Ajz3d made an even better theme. There is a link to it in his signature.

• Reputable Contributor

I think the key/secret sauce to preventing those nasty, and seemingly unnecessary terminations, is to FORCE an equal number of vertices on parallel lines. What the strokes are doing is generating an uneven number of points = the algorithm needs to find ways to terminate edge-loops in the middle of the mesh.

What I would do is if the user Select IN ORDER, the lines that are relatively parallel to one another, and have the algorithm force the number of points/verts to be the same...so it only has to do a simple bridge between the two. Just 2 lines would be need to create a nice clean Quad patch. In the Tool options panel, let the user scrub the number of horizontal edgeloops, and the same for vertical rows of edges

• Like 2

QuadPaintBeta: http://youtu.be/8nf5aK83lSA?a  

Quick retopology sketch using QuadPaint tool I'm currently developing in 3DCoat. Soon will add strokes vertices visual counter so will be easier for artists to match patches even to avoid the few triangles odd contour generates.

And live preview before applying to allow more control. 

• Contributor

I think the key/secret sauce to preventing those nasty, and seemingly unnecessary terminations, is to FORCE an equal number of vertices on parallel lines. What the strokes are doing is generating an uneven number of points = the algorithm needs to find ways to terminate edge-loops in the middle of the mesh.

What I would do is if the user Select IN ORDER, the lines that are relatively parallel to one another, and have the algorithm force the number of points/verts to be the same...so it only has to do a simple bridge between the two. Just 2 lines would be need to create a nice clean Quad patch. In the Tool options panel, let the user scrub the number of horizontal edgeloops, and the same for vertical rows of edges

What Don says here is THE KEY.

• Like 1

@AbnRanger and Michaelgdrs

True, if the contour has an odd number of vertices it will have at most 1 triangle (quad dominant), but if is even it will be quad complete. In the video I was showcasing a somewhat sketchy retopology where I didn't care about the evenness of the patches. The good news is that you don't have to select strokes in any order and you will be able to control that with vertices insertion/deletion, splits, cuts, etc.

Is already implemented into that SimpleStrokes sub-tool but not just exposed yet.

Also a preview mode will help to work in a non destructive way before applying to mesh and showing each patch side vertices count will greatly aid in that.

With even strokes and matching vertices the quality will be very, very good and moreover, Is fun! I actually find myself playing with the tool :) drawing crazy patches and explore different mesh partitions easily.

This method can be extended also to Autoretopology if I implement auto partition of the mesh with patch pairing and it will have the advantage of not shrinking too much polygons in small areas like the current Autopo, but that will be another tool ;) Imagine also this tool used in combination with QuadStrips where you have more control on the splines.

with QuadPaint I want artist freedom.

• Like 2

• Contributor

When can we have those? I am involved in a huge and very retopo demanding project.

Dont want to push anything i just want to know if i am going to use 3DC or another tool.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I think the key feature we need is the ability to place poles to control edge flow.

For example you can see in the following image how a five edge pole (in red) causes the edge flow (blue) to change direction, and a three pointed pole also redirects edge flow.

WhatPolesAre.jpg

On this model you can see the poles are directing the edges to go into different directions, or sometimes they are used to reduce complexity. You can see how the poles play a very important role.

TimmyZ_PolesOnCharacterFaceExample.jpg

Do you think that it would be possible to simply place poles and then let the QuadPaint tool fill in the rest automatically? It seems to me that your new tool can be used in this way but I am not sure. Maybe it is not sensitive enough to detect the placement of five edges crossing over a single point.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

When can we have those? I am involved in a huge and very retopo demanding project.

Dont want to push anything i just want to know if i am going to use 3DC or another tool.

Hey, Michael, if you are referring to the quad-paint and poly-strokes tools, then they are already in the 3d-coat beta version 4.5.33. I'm not sure if they are in previous ones as well, but I am currently using this build and they are in there.

• Like 1

@TimmyZDesign

It is very interesting your idea, thanks!

Currently QuadPaint algorithm does not work on poles as an input, they are just the output. I will currently take the algorithm to its full potential as is also a research in progress too. For future iterations it will evolve much more but for now I need to focus on ironing it, so the huge base of artists can start using it and feedback me with field data.

I haven't merge my code with Andrew trunk so probably the version available in public builds is way behind, more in the alpha stage.

Will do it soon!

Cheers

• Like 1

Just wanted to say: All this sounds really impressive. What I can not await to see is the preview mode. It is really important for nondestructive kind of work.

Real non destruction would actually mean: you can always adjust your placed curves. I mean all the time. Even if the curves has been converted to mesh. But a preview already helps.

I like the Dons idea too, he mentioned above by the way. And the pole argument is really good.

As soon as we can set curves without attaching them to a base object, then we have very strong modelng tool instead of just for retopo...

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 1