3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

Just feedback:

Currently I like RFill a lot. It saves a lot of time.

I dropped quadpaint unfortunately because of the uncontrollable curves. Our company needs exact curve shapes for our projects. Not just free retopo meshes. I hope Raul expand the curves soon to make them more controllable.

hi thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, better control of the curves is something I'm researching now. For that purpose QuadStrips will be better suited with splines also.

One workaround currently is to create more pinned points (double click) for more accurate shaping.

12 hours ago, farsthary said:

hi thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, better control of the curves is something I'm researching now. For that purpose QuadStrips will be better suited with splines also.

One workaround currently is to create more pinned points (double click) for more accurate shaping.

Thank you. I am shure you will optimise the curves to good point.

A second mode would help: If a point is moved istead of creating a "spike" the whole bending of the curve segment will be moved. Like in Illustrator or in the existing 3D Coat curves coded by Andrew for other tools.

Believe me: If you port the current solution for regular 3D Coat curves to your splines, then you made the job! We don't need more Raul.

To accurately shape a stroke in QuadPaint, the user can create new pinned vertices with double click, in the future more powerful curve controls will be implemented.  Today I’ve improved the implementation by allowing the deformation to be independent from stroke density. (unlike previous algorithm) and I’ve solved a bug that prevented to simultaniously deform linked strokes.

Before:

After

• Like 1

• Contributor

Extremely important .

Like we have subdivide  for a retopo mesh , can we please have a command that makes the poly lower???

If retopo polys 100 and with a subdivide they go 200 then we need to go , 150 , 100 , 50 , just an example .

Its really important because.

In order to get a good autoretopo we must add a lot of polys , but then we need to turn them down.

• Advanced Member

Raul,

You've just about created the ultimate modeling tool and I'm not sure you realize it.  If you can now alter whether or not each pinned point is stuck to the surface, then you've made something quite powerful.

Hi

Finally I could post again, some internal issues prevented my account to do so, thanks the webmaster is solved :)

Thank you all :) 

@Michaelgdrs

Could you provide me a better example of  such decimation tool? (usability wise) I souldn/t be too difficult to implement.

@gbball

There's the option to dissable snapping to the surface but I think you meant other option like moving freehand in the 3D space those vertices?

• Like 1

• Contributor
58 minutes ago, farsthary said:

Hi

Finally I could post again, some internal issues prevented my account to do so, thanks the webmaster is solved :)

Thank you all :) 

@Michaelgdrs

Could you provide me a better example of  such decimation tool? (usability wise) I souldn/t be too difficult to implement.

@gbball

There's the option to dissable snapping to the surface but I think you meant other option like moving freehand in the 3D space those vertices?

Greetings Raul , 

at the studio i am working we specialize in VR so each prop i create must be optimized 100 % in order to run in VR headsets in a GTX 980 / or GTX 980 ti / or GTX 1080 (in studio and for clients).

I create from 7 to 12 assets per working day and Autopo sometimes is crutial to me  , unfortunately it needs lots of polys to get it right and then we cant use the produced model in the engine (Unity 5) for VR usage.

So we need to reduce the amount of polys (with a decimation software) but all create ugly triangles that brakes the normals and geometry , in VR especially with CV1 you can see a lot more details than you see in a normal screen game so those issues are caught by the eye and they ruin the experience.

Usability wise i cant find something better than getting the retopo with lower polys but POLYS and not random triangulation , innovation for sure.

If you can reduce the amount of polys in your new tools by selecting a number then it should be eazy to do this.

• Contributor

For manual decimation 

this is how i have it on my mind.

From sec 10 on this video , i want to be able to select 4 vertices for example and in the area of those vertices a decimation will happen. (when 4 vertices are selected it would be good to have a line to show they area , just like we do the unwrap lines , it will help for bigger distances beetwen vertices)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcra3lvqd79kwfv/select_vertices_decimate_area.mp4?dl=0

For Auto decimation i just select from a menu if i want to be be 50% or 1/2 and it cuts polys to half .

So basic idea for Decimation is to delete unnessesary edges and from this delete a new poly will be created , just like when we delete edges manually!!!

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Michaelgdrs said:

For manual decimation 

this is how i have it on my mind.

From sec 10 on this video , i want to be able to select 4 vertices for example and in the area of those vertices a decimation will happen. (when 4 vertices are selected it would be good to have a line to show they area , just like we do the unwrap lines , it will help for bigger distances beetwen vertices)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcra3lvqd79kwfv/select_vertices_decimate_area.mp4?dl=0

For Auto decimation i just select from a menu if i want to be be 50% or 1/2 and it cuts polys to half .

So basic idea for Decimation is to delete unnessesary edges and from this delete a new poly will be created , just like when we delete edges manually!!!

What we need is a simple DOT-LOOP and DOT-RING selection mode....been asking for this for YEARS! It is very important to reduce Auto-Retop results, rapidly. Would be awesome to be able to use the new EXPAND and CONTRACT tool (for Selections) with one of those modes chosen...so it is only growing every other edge/ring. This would make a LOT of users very happy, once they try it.

It could be named SKIP LOOP/ SKIP RING....to be the most descriptive.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Oh DOT LOOP and DOT RING will do the work as well and i agree  new EXPAND and CONTRACT tool  to be used for selection as well.

Good call , less work for Raul , faster tools to our hands , BETTER / FASTER Retopo results for all the users.

High 5 Don.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

....after YEARS of multiple requests....YEARS of languishing in the dust bin of the Mantis and Trello pages, we still don't have....

1) SKIP Loop/Ring

2) Gradient Selection (absolute MUST for any type of poly-modeling in Retopo Room, not to mention when making large scale adjustments....especially if one is using a Preset Mesh in the Model's pallet, to conform to their model (ie., using a base face/head mesh for different characters)

3) Simple "BRIDGE SELECTED EDGES"....just bridge the edges that are the most perpendicular to each other

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanations and examples! really handy and will include them in my todo list , but I have one question, those are desired features to have in Retopo? because in the sculpt room I have implemented a very powerful bridge tool for example.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Those are modelling commands , if you keep all new poly modeling commands in retopo then yes they should be in retopo too.

If you create a new room called poly modeling for example they should be in this new room.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Ohh and thank you so much for listening to us all.

Its CRUSIAL and ESSENTIAL going  to the correct path.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, farsthary said:

Thank you for the explanations and examples! really handy and will include them in my todo list , but I have one question, those are desired features to have in Retopo? because in the sculpt room I have implemented a very powerful bridge tool for example.

They are Retopo tools....repeatedly asked for and long-awaiting ones. The bridge tool in the Sculpt room is obviously for bridging Surface mode objects. Bridging in the Retopo Room would be more for bridging different shells or groups of polygons together. For example, filling holes like the following Bridge Polys video:

Bridge selected edges would bridge an open edge/edgeloop to it's closest counterpart (on a line perpendicular to the edge/edgeloop). This would often be needed when using Auto-Retopo on discrete sections of a model (like hiding the head while Auto-retoplogizing the body > inverting the hidden part and running Auto-Retopo on that). Right now, to close the gap between the two meshes, one has to take the tedious step of welding one vertex at a time with the MOVE tool, or one poly at a time with the Points and Faces or Quads tool.

There are also times, when a WELD SELECTED VERTICES tool is sorely needed. In a case like I just mentioned, rather than bridging, it could be used to simply weld the verts that are nearly on top of one another....using a parameter in the Tool Options panel, or Tool bar for adjusting distance threshold, so it's not accidentally welding verts further up the mesh.

Bridge Selected Edges: