3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• Advanced Member

Raul is back in cuba with his family. A married man.

What are you talking about?

There isn't any cocktail with vodka and rum.

Neither a dance with mixed salsa and tchaikovsky ballet

Neither a warm sunset and snow mix.

"It is not the image you would see nor the song you would hear,

But rather an image you see though you close your eyes and a song you hear though you shut your ears.

It is not the sap within the furrowed bark, nor a wing attached to a claw,

But rather a garden for ever in bloom and a flock of angels for ever in flight.

People of Orphalese, beauty is life when life unveils her holy face.

But you are life and you are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.

But you are eternity and you are the mirror."

On Beauty

Kahlil Gibran

• Reputable Contributor

The sun is my wife, she caressed me with her warmth.

I knew not winter cold or hardness

Early did she greet me,beauty shining upon my body

I left her side to a land that hides her behind a veil

memories become cruel, seeing her shape but my body felt no heat.

I became a bird, flying back over the long sea

Striding upon above the white clouds. sun beams as arms embraced me.

in a land where there is endless sunshine.

Welcome back to Cuda!

A great tribute to your father you gave, a marvelous painter he is...

• Advanced Member

I missed Raul's father artwork slide show. Oh my.

Wonderful paintings, most of them. I'm impressed.

I can't say which are my favorites but these fast oil sketches with fishermen and boats are closer to my interests.

You possibly know already that I'm basically a traditional 2d artist too. Professionally I mean.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Just arrived yesterday to Kiev and I wanted to drop a note to everyone! I need to update myself and try to read in the forum what I have missing that I suspect is a lot! Cheers

Raul

Welcome Back !

Bienvenido de Regreso ! :)

• Advanced Member

Hi farsthary,

I think the Voxel-Layer-Tool is weak from its implementation concept and an extension does not really make it a lot better.

What it does is nice - but how it does it is not streamlined and universal enough.

I feel what you guys really should start working on is to make masking available in absolutely the same way in Voxels as in Surface-Mode (and of course

when painting).Then in the same way as in comparable apps one can just mask a part of the model, invert the mask and do all sorts of stuff with this sector.

Including creation of new geometry with varible thickness.

In the current implementation masking is locked into an isolated tool which I think is poor Design.

• Advanced Member

Hmm ... I think we can work over this, can you provide me examples on how proper masking should work?

Good to see that you got my comment right.

Just look at how universally Zbrush has hooked that tool up. Its implementation of masking and of hiding is a dream, really.

3DCoat instead has many "locked into tool" or differing from workspace to workspace-implementations of the comparable functions.

• Advanced Member

Nice! But again here - masking as enclosed (embedded) functionality.

It would be much more useful to have masking as an always available workmode, everywhere.

One would call the actual tool after having established the mask

One then was free to use any tool which can deal with the concept of masks.

Btw - there is already a tool called extract skin.

What does shell what it doesn't do? (Shell is the much better name btw.)

• Advanced Member

Hi Raul, welcome back. Neat tweaks!

Good to see that you got my comment right.

Just look at how universally Zbrush has hooked that tool up. Its implementation of masking and of hiding is a dream, really.

3DCoat instead has many "locked into tool" or differing from workspace to workspace-implementations of the comparable functions.

Agree +1

Of course there is "freeze" also. Could they become 1 tool, to be more universal and streamlined? Or do I misunderstand the differences?

To add, masking( or freezing) by cavity etc. for sculpting is a bit un-streamlined right now, having to go to polypaint, paint more in cavity to a layer, freeze painted pixels, apply contract freeze, smooth etc. Then go to Voxel/LC rm. and sculpt with freeze mask. Perhaps the top panel could be included in the V/S room. to do this.

Speaking of which, I can't see that option anymore in the paint rm.!

Edit; Oh! OK, I see now.

Posted Today, 03:08 AM

Updated to 3.7.18C (Win). Fixed some critical bugs from mantis (missing top panel in paint room, loading UV, combobox in layers blending options problem and other, see mantis).

• Reputable Contributor

Getting rid of some remaining LC bugs or surface mode bugs and a period of optimizing the brushes in more of a concern for me at this time.

New features are always welcome but I am afraid new features will just confound the bug problem and in the end make it that much more work to fix... We have so many new features already for version 4 my interest is in stability and being as bug free as possible for the upcoming release of version 4.

I am able to tear or explode the mesh at times. I would suggest if possible Raul, that you would sculpt using LC and surface mode brushes plus going in and out of proxy mode in a deep testing way to help undercover the source of the bugs... A lot of the bugs that cause these type of problems have been squashed but adding features with the few bugs remaining, well, we could go back to ground zero again.

Andrew and yourself I think would have a list of features you would like to add for version 4. I am not against that but the bugs will cause problems as they have in the past when adding new features...

I produced these tears in the mesh, using LC brushes in combination with surface mode brushes, plus I used proxy mode a few times as well...

3DCoat version Linux 3.7.18A non-cuda

Picture included...

post-518-0-54456000-1346978195_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

• Contributor

Great additions!!

I was about to ask for that invert voxlayer thing...the workaround was a little complicated,so Big THanx!! :)

btw I made some LC presets you can find discussion and file here http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10117

here are some speedsculpts using those presets:

http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10143

I also agree with Digman,some interaction between sculpting and commands need to be tested thoroughly

especially those commands:

symm copy

Clean Surface

Legacy fix (especially this one,sometimes it fixes things..sometimes it add many black spots on mesh..its a weird command....)

and

resample+interaction with LC brushes and proxy mode.

interaction with Pose tool is important too.

I think you need to test many combinations of work situations using those commands and LC tools,Im sure you will discover hidden issues.Even if it eats up a little time out of development.

At this point its very important to be sure all LC tools works well in interaction with other tools.

also sometimes,LC tools become very slow and only "Legacy fix" seem to restore speed.

Im trying to get you a file that is not too heavy so you can reproduce....its hard because sometimes I don't know if slowdown is "normal" or not.

One thing Im sure and is easy to reproduce:

Tangent smooth and Remove stretching seem to generate asymmetries it can be a real problem if user does not notice.

It is fairly easy to reproduce.(use Tangent smooth on the tip of a set of symmetrical horns/spikes for example...)

a suggestion:

It would be great if Smooth All in Surface mode could be improved to give smoother result....

As you can see yourself in your helmet video it does not give a smoothing as nice as voxel mode.

Personally,I always convert voxlayer to voxel mode and use "Smooth All" there,then use decimate, then return to Surface mode.

It would be cool if we could achieve that nice smoothing finish without leaving SF mode.

another one :) :

It would be great if Reduce brush would be compatible with Freeze (masking),right now it does not work.

that would be very cool for hardsurface design especially when using TS smooth (Reduce and TS smooth are a very powerful brush combination)

Btw - there is already a tool called extract skin.

What does shell what it doesn't do? (Shell is the much better name btw.)

OOOOOPS!!!!!!!!! LOL Yes, they perform the same action, I apologize :P , this is an example of a redundant development... anyway, I think previous existing tool should be more visible ;)

thanks.

Also regarding more powerful masking I have suggested Andrew we can make available in the voxel room the advanced masking(Freezing) tool we already have in Paint room, like expand/contract freeze, smooth/sharp, Invert, etc.

he will make that in a blink of an eye ;)

I think the only new is PaintHole tool :P

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I hope that the paint hole tool will work well,it's a really interesting feature.

Later it could be great a merge tool that is able to merge topology,and also a split function(maybe the paint hole tool is also able to separate one piece in 2,I don't know).

In my point of view,live clay,for the first thing,have to be able to free completely the sculpting from the topology constraint,so I hope you give a lot of love for topology like tool,so it can replace completely the voxel tool.

Later,it can be refined and streamlined,but please,first,free the sculpting from the topology constraint.

• Advanced Member

Also regarding more powerful masking I have suggested Andrew we can make available in the voxel room the advanced masking(Freezing) tool we already have in Paint room, like expand/contract freeze, smooth/sharp, Invert, etc.

he will make that in a blink of an eye ;)

I think the only new is PaintHole tool :P

Awesome!!! :)

• Contributor

Hi :)

Ok, I have taken note of all the above suggestions, thanks a lot!

also, look at this new tool: CloseHoles .... not many 3D app has robust closing holes tools out there ;)

http://farsthary.wor...local-versions/

Cheers

It looks great!

How does it compare in process time to the current "close holes" feature?

• Advanced Member

farsthary,

this looks very fast and and reliable. But it seems not at all to take into account the curvature of the existing mesh.

In such an implementation it is probably still useful for quite a few cg-applications. Looking at the cube from you clip,

the tool looked ideal to quickly add some wear and destruction to make it look like an old brick.

For anyone with precision-demands such a hole-filling-tool was of relatively limited use. As 3DCoat is so well-suited to

work with scan-data it was cool to make that tool smarter- but I realize that this is a lot more work and might not be a

top-priority.

just for inspiration is an example of a very expensive software filling mesh-holes on scan-data.