3D Coat Forums
farsthary

Farsthary update channel

When can we have those? I am involved in a huge and very retopo demanding project.

Dont want to push anything i just want to know if i am going to use 3DC or another tool.

• Like 1

I think the key feature we need is the ability to place poles to control edge flow.

For example you can see in the following image how a five edge pole (in red) causes the edge flow (blue) to change direction, and a three pointed pole also redirects edge flow.

WhatPolesAre.jpg

On this model you can see the poles are directing the edges to go into different directions, or sometimes they are used to reduce complexity. You can see how the poles play a very important role.

TimmyZ_PolesOnCharacterFaceExample.jpg

Do you think that it would be possible to simply place poles and then let the QuadPaint tool fill in the rest automatically? It seems to me that your new tool can be used in this way but I am not sure. Maybe it is not sensitive enough to detect the placement of five edges crossing over a single point.

• Like 1

When can we have those? I am involved in a huge and very retopo demanding project.

Dont want to push anything i just want to know if i am going to use 3DC or another tool.

Hey, Michael, if you are referring to the quad-paint and poly-strokes tools, then they are already in the 3d-coat beta version 4.5.33. I'm not sure if they are in previous ones as well, but I am currently using this build and they are in there.

• Like 1

@TimmyZDesign

It is very interesting your idea, thanks!

Currently QuadPaint algorithm does not work on poles as an input, they are just the output. I will currently take the algorithm to its full potential as is also a research in progress too. For future iterations it will evolve much more but for now I need to focus on ironing it, so the huge base of artists can start using it and feedback me with field data.

I haven't merge my code with Andrew trunk so probably the version available in public builds is way behind, more in the alpha stage.

Will do it soon!

Cheers

• Like 1

Please do when possible and you feel ok with it.

I can provide you with huge feedback if you want.

Just wanted to say: All this sounds really impressive. What I can not await to see is the preview mode. It is really important for nondestructive kind of work.

Real non destruction would actually mean: you can always adjust your placed curves. I mean all the time. Even if the curves has been converted to mesh. But a preview already helps.

I like the Dons idea too, he mentioned above by the way. And the pole argument is really good.

As soon as we can set curves without attaching them to a base object, then we have very strong modelng tool instead of just for retopo...

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 1

THIS IS EPIC SOOOOO CLOSE TO PERFECTION

Even crazy contours can be easily quadrangulated.

Cfgm7iBXEAAHbgX.jpg
  • Like 1

Yeah,

It would be great if the strokes were always a step away from being edited.  Kind of like dropping into edit mode in Blender.  That way users could adjust edges, polyflow, poles, span #'s as needed.  It would also be great if retopo objects with strokes could be retained in Retopo Models library for use on other projects as well.

This really has the potential to be a powerful tool. 

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

Would it be possible to generate the input curves from ambient occlusion ( for crevices) and Curvature ( peaks ) information ? then it could be a fully automated solution but with the bonus of being able to alter the input curves after the fact .

I noticed that the "Load Shape" option in the E panel  already has an algorithm to convert pixel brightness information to curves .Maybe this could be used to generate your curves?

Edited by manticor

Would it be possible to generate the input curves from ambient occlusion ( for crevices) and Curvature ( peaks ) information ? then it could be a fully automated solution but with the bonus of being able to alter the input curves after the fact .

I noticed that the "Load Shape" option in the E panel already has an algorithm to convert pixel brightness information to curves .Maybe this could be used to generate your curves?

Yes it would be great if curves could be generated automatically on hard edges of a high poly sculpt, maybe the algorithm could detect where sharp edges are (based on angle), then it would place curves along those edges. That would be a great time-saver for manual retopo of hard surface models.

RFill is a great tool until with repeated use on a mesh, it seems to be spinning it's wheels.  Taskmanager shows CPU activity and RAM growth but I don't know how long it may ultimately take as I end the process after 30 minutes. Reopening does not help as the 'failure' starts immediately (so if you haven't saved a successful patch, you wont be able to reopen and do it over.

Edited by Tony Nemo

I think the failure of RFill was due to being in a mouth cavity with half the head hidden. I don't know that it really failed, as I was unwilling to see how long it would take to perform the calculations that are almost instantaneous on the out side of the head. Maybe it was disoriented.

@Tony Nemo

RFill got several bug fixed recently but I haven't  merge yet, RFill, QuadPaint and QuadStrips share big portions of the core so improvement in any of them reflects in the others.

@Manticor

Yes, That's a last stage for another tool (or an option of QuadPaint) in fact it has been in my background long time ago this possibility.  :)

• Like 2

Raul, can you explain how Quadstrip works please? Or do we have a pre alpha stage and it has no functionality yet?

Cleaned up code , added 2 quadrangulation methods: HYBRID (default) and DIRECT to better suit particular cases.

Cf6TY_OUAAAMh0I.jpg

Cf6TZHfUYAA9afd.jpg

Cf6TZCPUkAEJ_gN.jpg[/i]

@Taros

QuadStrips works very similar to Blender's RetopoFlow.

Is spline based quadrangle strips, instead of using just strokes like QuadPaint. It will be easier to outline patches and then filling them. I had to pause it in order to finish QuadPaint because the last one is the main algorithm and was the most advanced, but should quickly follow QuadPaint first public release.

It has no functionality yet in the public release,  is an alpha there.

• Like 1

@Taros

QuadStrips works very similar to Blender's RetopoFlow.

Is spline based quadrangle strips, instead of using just strokes like QuadPaint. It will be easier to outline patches and then filling them. I had to pause it in order to finish QuadPaint because the last one is the main algorithm and was the most advanced, but should quickly follow QuadPaint first public release.

It has no functionality yet in the public release,  is an alpha there.

All right. Thank you for the feedback.