3DCoat Forums

3Dconnexion drops support for SpacePilot in latest drivers w/Joystick/mouse emulation

If you own a 3Dconnexion SpacePilot (or any other of their devices, or just to help for that matter). Head over to 3Dconnexion.com :: View topic - Adding SpacePilot support to 3DxWare 10 and vote on the poll to get it supported by the latest drivers.

For some reason, 3Dconnexion thought it was a great idea to block support for this device even though it was still being sold in 2010 and is supposed to be on "Continued Support" (which means, according to their own site: Continued Support: The software for this product will be maintained until this deadline.) until 2013.

These drivers add full driver support for the first time, where one can use it in any program as a mouse, joystick or keyboard. It is a big deal to be not have support for this driver. Customers have been asking for this functionality for years (earliest posts I have read date to 2007). One can still buy this device from vendors. 3Dconnxion stopped selling in Mar of last year, but that's no excuse to leave customers who bought it before or after out in the cold now that they are finally providing full drivers that don't require software makers to hardcode support for the device.

In addition, the problem isn't that the drivers can't support the device (it uses the same tech as the current model, just doesn't have a color LCD and has less button). The drivers provide the device data. Programs with hardcoded support can still use these drivers. The part of the software that maps the data to joystick/mouse/keyboard bindings has simply been coded to ignore the device, presumably to encourage owners to upgrade to the SpacePilot Pro (a $500 dollar device, hell the original SpacePilot was $400. That's a lot of money to pay and not get the fully functional drivers!)

So, head on over there and let them know they should support their products.

Thanks

• Contributor

Ahah, I would keep it, see how it goes but if they are not doing it (for whatever reason) or are really slow to make it happen, then I would post it on their forum saying what you just said... That would make them quite uneasy with such a "niche" market... Every customer count...

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in this news too. Especially since i just finished my portable space pilot mod.

IC

No worries, though. 3DConnexion expects you to now use both as paperweights or office decorations and then hand over $500 for a marginally newer model. I'm sure they'll look quite lovely next to your basket of potpourri and scented candles. :D

• 6 years later...

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I was able to get my SpacePilot working in Windows 10....

Just uninstall the 3DConnection software you currently have, then run the Windows 8 installer in Compatibility mode as Windows 8.

If you don't know how to do it, here's the steps:

1. Go Here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/archived-drivers.html
  2. Select "SpacePilot" in the Product drop down.
  3. Select "Windows 8 64bit" (or "...32bit" if that's what you have) in the Operating System drop down.
  4. Click on the link to download the only option.
  5. Uninstall any previous version of the 3DConnection software on your computer.
  6. Once the download is finished, but BEFORE you execute the install, right-click on the installation folder.
  7. Click "Properties"
  8. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
  9. Just under "Compatibility mode", click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" check box.
  10. Then select "Windows 8" in the drop down.
  11. Click "Apply", then "OK"
  12. Now execute the install.
    • Bonus Tip: On the 2nd screen of the install that you have to interact with, on the bottom there's a "Check on-line if an update is available" check box... Un-select it so it doesn't prompt you to download a more recent version of the installation.

I know it doesn't ultimately fix 3DConnections *jerk* (insert your expletive here) move of discontinuing support for this product, but at least you get to continue to use it!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/21/2017 at 6:21 PM, FlyOnTheWall said:

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I was able to get my SpacePilot working in Windows 10....

Just uninstall the 3DConnection software you currently have, then run the Windows 8 installer in Compatibility mode as Windows 8.

If you don't know how to do it, here's the steps:

1. Go Here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/archived-drivers.html
  2. Select "SpacePilot" in the Product drop down.
  3. Select "Windows 8 64bit" (or "...32bit" if that's what you have) in the Operating System drop down.
  4. Click on the link to download the only option.
  5. Uninstall any previous version of the 3DConnection software on your computer.
  6. Once the download is finished, but BEFORE you execute the install, right-click on the installation folder.
  7. Click "Properties"
  8. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
  9. Just under "Compatibility mode", click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" check box.
  10. Then select "Windows 8" in the drop down.
  11. Click "Apply", then "OK"
  12. Now execute the install.
    • Bonus Tip: On the 2nd screen of the install that you have to interact with, on the bottom there's a "Check on-line if an update is available" check box... Un-select it so it doesn't prompt you to download a more recent version of the installation.

I know it doesn't ultimately fix 3DConnections *jerk* (insert your expletive here) move of discontinuing support for this product, but at least you get to continue to use it!

I just want to say that this fix is still working flawlessly for low-budget college guys like me...Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I realize this is a bit old, but since I still found this via google, here's some newer information that I finally found elsewhere, for anyone else who lands here:

3DXWare 10.4.10 is the last version which unofficially supports the SpacePilot.

10.4.10 happens to be Windows 10 compatible natively. Unfortunately, since its support for the SpacePilot is unofficial, it doesn't get listed when you open the archived drivers page to the SpacePilot. It does show up for the SpacePilot Pro. This works! While the listing can only be found under newer products like the SpacePilot Pro, what you download is not specific to only a Pro and will still recognize a SpacePilot.

So here are the steps:

1. Go to the archived drivers page
  2. Select the SpacePilot Pro from the Product dropdown.
  3. Pay attention to the version numbers! You want "3DxWare 10 for Windows" (64-bit or 32-bit) version 10.4.10. Release date is 03/23/2017.
  4. Install it normally.
  5. There you go, it should just work (including the display staying up to date with window selection), although you may need to reboot or at least restart software before it works properly in everything. This is in Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (2018 Spring Creators Update).
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

The current flagship 3dconnexion device, the SpaceMouse Enterprise, is a worthwhile upgrade, as it effectively replaces the need for reaching toward the keyboard, and you can feel for the relevant buttons rather than have to stop and look down at the keyboard. I think it navigates noticeably smoother, too, although I don't see any mention of such an improvement in their marketing material.

Yeah, it's pricey, but so too is upgrading from an old Wacom Intuos 3 to a new Intuos Pro. They are built to last, but that doesn't mean they will keep supporting old hardware they no longer sell, that long. The SpacePilot simply will not work with 3ds Max 2018 or newer. It will work with many others, like 3DCoat, Blender, Modo, Houdini, but using that old driver 10.4.10. The reason is because the app developers wrote their own support for them. But with Autodesk apps, I think 3dconnexion is doing it all.

• 1 month later...

I definitely agree, particularly if you're making money from related work! On the "just getting started" hobby side, though, the SpacePilots are pretty easy to find for extremely cheap. Also while I haven't tried 3DS Max, in Fusion 360 I've had no issues with my SpacePilot and the 10.4.10 drivers.

One thing I did forget to say, though (hopefully it's obvious), is make sure you turn off "Update Automatically" when installing the drivers.