3DCoat Forums

Fundraiser looking for Support from the 3D Community :)

I'm writing to let you know about the 'Rogue's Odyssey' Fundraiser we started.

My studio "Solo Projects Studios" is now an Artists Collective dedicated to helping indie film and game makers. We intend to partially fund projects through fundraisers and selling 3d assets online.

http://www.indiegogo.com/Rogues-Odyssey

Take a moment to check it out on IndieGoGo and also share it with your friends. All the tools are there. Get perks, make a contribution, or simply follow updates. If enough of us get behind it, we can make 'Rogue's Odyssey' happen.

We will be adding new videos and art to all sites every couple of days.

Also if you wish to become part of the team on Rogue or submit a new project proposal please contact me here :

Christian@soloprojectsstudios.com

Rogue SteamPunk MMO FundRaiser Teaser Video

New Video Posted At:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Rogues-Odyssey

Concept video for the Rogues Odyssey Fundraiser.

Donate to help us finish our MMO and help Rogue’s Odyssey reach it’s full potential !

You'll Feel all Warm and Happy inside after you donate. :)

• Contributor

Being in the cg business, I would be interested to see a bit of the 65% completed models of the game, cause that trailer certainly doesn't reflect a 65% modeling advancement. If I were looking from an investor point of view, what you've shown so far looks more like a big dream.

Now, prove me wrong and I may be interested !

Summary: show some actual content, mock up with still photography and somewhat cheap fx just doesn't cut it imho.

• Contributor

I understand the principle of mock up to generate interest, the thing is it doesn't give a clue of what the game is about. Could've been summarized with a few concept art slide show( cheap to produce and quick if your pre production is solid) and would have made it more real. Again I don't want to destroy your work, I admire passion in creation, it's just that asking for financial help with so little "visible" info about content is awkward.

Plus I'm sure even though my opinion may slightly irritate you it's shared by many others and taking it into account would probably make your project more appealing to donators.

P.S: I was a modder before too, so I understand your position.

• Advanced Member

You need an enourmous amount of experience and manpower to create a MMO of that kind. Maybe start with a fraction of your ideas and develop tiny playable demos from that.

'We're making an MMO' has actually become something of a joke in Gaming/ Game Making circles. If your as talented as you think then you should be able to make an awesome simple game, which will make a name for you and start some revenue coming in. If you cant do that then you're never going to be able to make such a complex game.

Wow such negativity. First we have had playable demos for over a year. Second we have programmers from http://www.unitypark3d.com/ working with us. Amongst other things they helped build Eve Online. Third I have been in this business for 20 years.

Instead of casting doubt, maybe your time would be better spent being positive. Last but not least, Just because a group of Indies are doing a project on a tight budget, It doesn't mean they don't have the skill sets to finish what they start.

• Contributor

Well to be honest I didn't see a single negative comment here (only honest comment with kinda healty concerns), but that may be because I'm not making an mmo game...

And even thought I hate to say "failure spotted" to someone working on a big projectcause that's disrespectful, I have to agree with Roger_K here, how many big companies with heavy funds and tons of talented people have failed to make an interesting mmo game with healty business model ? The market is saturated with free 2 play games right now, that should tell you something about the odds of making a hit (because let's be honest if you don't make a hit, you don't exist on this segment, you're either on the top or in direct competition with f2p and free titles and it will be VERY HARD to compete against an already estalished competitor).

Instead of casting doubt, maybe your time would be better spent being positive.

I would glady do so if your media showcase was pushing me, but like I said, I see almost nothing :/

Now, that sound like a negative comment, if objectivity can hurt that is...

Right now your project reminds me of one project I had with an assembled team of modders on the doom 3 engine, we almost completed it, but the preproduction was so poor (the project leader was full of ideas but definetely not moving his ass and we didn't even have a game design doc when the production was launched) that we had to remove like 70% of the originally planed ideas by the project end since everyone was pissed of at the lack of general planning.

We even shown a playable game demo (and let a few people test it) in a few events but that didn't stop the project to die on his own... And that was "just" a devil may cry fps type... I wouldn't even dare to imagine what it would have been on a epic scale mmo mellow.gif

• Advanced Member

People coming forward with their honesty and wariness is a good thing, in any case. You should take the best and ignore the rest.

I've similar stories than BeatKitano to tell and i only advise you to permanant prototyping with all features you need for your game. Honestly, i can not believe that you create a quality MMO, that would speak against what i've seen.

In any case i wish you the best and i hope that you create a successfull game, be it of any kind! If you take the prototyping idea you probably can adjust your plans to fit your resources at any time. If you have a project that seems doable you probably get more support and you will not suffer so much.