3DCoat Forums

Mesh Mixer 05

• Advanced Member

An 64 bit app for pc or mac.

Development is really fast here. I'm impressed and found this app useful already.

It's a free app. I was impressed how it respects the OSs UI.

What a shame for some "not free" apps. :angry:

• Advanced Member

Wow its a nice little app now - almost all grown up :p

Check outthe vid on youtube

YouTube MeshMixer05

Meshmixer05 has new tools for mesh reducing, attaching arbitrary meshes, smoothing boundary loops, extrusions, and a bridging/hole tool.

Very nice update. Some great utility tools, bridge/handle looks useful. Some good stuff for edge loops too.

Sweet.

• Advanced Member

It works and how. Andrew should see this.

Hidden in meshmixer is a fully functional sculptris, with adaptive subdivision, adaptive reduce and refine, 3 kinds of smooth, brushes that react like butter, never intersecting triangles and a perfect smooth feedback.

This sculptingfunctions are somewhat hidden inside the interface which is odd. Some genius must have tinkered with it.

• Advanced Member

Meshmixer is much better than sculptris in my opinion. The main reason i kept sculptris installed was for it's reduce brush which was great but now Meshmixer has this also as well as all the other great things.

But yeah, Meshmixer is now the new main side tool for 3DC along with blender. :D

I just noticed a new version is out today also -

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e9ddc0938cf4869c7c4f622fa6059505&topic=400.0

• Contributor

Well, yes and no, if functionalities are not pretty much decided, that could end up as a bloated interface. (not try to sound like a smartass but you know what I mean)

Ui can come later when pretty much everything is functional and solid. Of course an ergonomic interface from the ground up is appreciated but ui design before function is a worse choice (imho).

If you work on ui design before having all the functionalities you want in your software you risk ending up with the ui dictating your tool/function design.

• Advanced Member
but ui design before function is a worse choice (imho)

In my opinion it depends, i think free software can get away with it more but if you buy a program you want it to have a good workflow. Workflow can depend very much on the GUI so even if you had the best features ever without a good GUI it would sometimes be faster/simpler to use something else which was easier to use but maybe gives a bit lower quality for the results.

I think the MM GUI is ok though, the main problem is for the brushes you have to hover over them to know what they do unless you get to know them well, so basically they just need text also on the icons.

With 3DC i generally like the GUI but i don't like the resource system -

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=161

It makes it annoying to add new resources and usually things like new brushes help for better workflow but with 3DC it's just annoying and time consuming adding them in. This is a area where things could be improved a lot i think.

I have stopped using a few programs that are quite good feature wise just down to the fact they cannot be customized and i don't like the standard workflow they use, with a few adjustments they would be fine though. So i think decent GUI customization options is one thing any decent app should have have from the start because if they are fixed GUIs what works well for someone will be bad for another, however if it can be changed easily everyone wins.

I have stopped using a few programs that are quite good feature wise just down to the fact they cannot be customized and i don't like the standard workflow they use, with a few adjustments they would be fine though. So i think decent GUI customization options is one thing any decent app should have have from the start because if they are fixed GUIs what works well for someone will be bad for another, however if it can be changed easily everyone wins.

The catch 22 with customizable UIs is that you have to use the default UI for a while before you know what the workflow you like should be. That's why I hate whenever someone complains about the blender or zb UI and users say "but you can customize it, so there is no problem!". I think all that customization can make the devs lazy about making a good workflow in the first place. It's nice to have the option for one or two little things, but you shouldn't have to redesign the entire UI yourself. You're the artist not the developer, it's not your job.

• Advanced Member

To have some windows floating and brushes dockable would be nice but right now the interface is clean and minimal, by purpose.

It can really only get better from there. The programmer thinks MM should not be too sculpting-centric by nature. Interesting POV.

The drag and drop of objects is sort of childsplay, very clear.It's like Picasso throwing stuff from the garbage together to make a monument in bronze. Then the brushing and sculpting and chisseling really is the second step, in the MM approach.

I am reading this post from MM forum, very interesting CG ideas on this wishlist:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

pe

The drag and drop of objects is sort of childsplay, very clear.It's like Picasso throwing stuff from the garbage together to make a monument in bronze.

Actually I was playing with it without really reading any instructions or anything and was having a hard time with that, I cut off the bunnies head and smoothed it out easily enough, but when I tried to drag something else on there I really had a hard time positioning it and getting it rotated the way I wanted without it looking like a twisted mess. Eventually I just gave up and went back to my work project.

• Advanced Member

Wow this thread has really taken off - I am sorry I havent been following it properly - Anway UI and functionality aside its good to have a free app to introduce people to digital sculpting and mesh editing/mixing.

I think for something free to introduce people to the idea (16 year olds and up)I think they are both brillaint apps - once people have thier head around the concept they can then move onto 3Dcoat,Mudbox,Zbrush,Blender,Modo... what-ever.

Free is good to start off with and speaking of witch -I am going to be doing a free introduction to digital sculpting workshop in Brisbane using both sculptris and mesh mixer - possibly only using mesh mixer - we will see.

Its good to spread the news on the medium.

• Advanced Member

Think Ipad but now the images are 3D objects projected in air, visible from all sides by moving your head and manipulated by waving a hand. It is not ( or is ) suited for precise constructionjobs, though for artists that like to dance it may sound like heaven.

Just daydreaming.