3DCoat Forums

Help a noob unwrap properly...

popwfx

• Advanced Member

This is my first time using 3DCoat to unwrap - normally I've been using it for retopo and painting. I did check out the vimeo tutorials, but I'm getting some weird results which I'm fairly certain is user error as I try and unwrap a portion of my model on one of it's UV sets.

This is what it looks like with the original LW generated UV set in the model, but with my new seams:

post-2650-0-32983200-1307576132.jpg

Why does it look like this after unwrapping or updating islands??

post-2650-0-31467200-1307576377.jpg

post-2650-0-32983200-1307576132_thumb.jp

post-2650-0-31467200-1307576377_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Click on Islands instead of vertices, click Mark Seams, instead of ADD CLUSTERS, and then click Unwrap again. I've never really experienced that kind of problem. Remember, in the UV room, hitting Unwrap doesn't finalize things, you have to also click APPLY UV SET (not necessary in the Retopo Room...I am not sure why it's different, but it is).

• Advanced Member

Click on Islands instead of vertices, click Mark Seams, instead of ADD CLUSTERS, and then click Unwrap again. I've never really experienced that kind of problem. Remember, in the UV room, hitting Unwrap doesn't finalize things, you have to also click APPLY UV SET (not necessary in the Retopo Room...I am not sure why it's different, but it is).

Thanks for your reply. I just tried what you suggest and I'm still getting the same thing... And thanks for the reminder about apply, I know about the apply-uv set thing, but I need a good uv set to apply ;)

Any ideas what's going wrong here with the tangled UV getting generated?

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I just tried what you suggest and I'm still getting the same thing... And thanks for the reminder about apply, I know about the apply-uv set thing, but I need a good uv set to apply ;)

Any ideas what's going wrong here with the tangled UV getting generated?

That's really odd. Any chance of getting a video screen capture to show the process you are taking, or you can PM me with a version of the file? I can take a look at it and try to find what's causing it. May be something as simple as the options.xml file needing to be deleting (as it sometimes causes bug-like behavior if it's not deleted prior to each new build installation).

First try clearing the 3DC config file and restart 3DC (the particular build you're attempting to do this in).

Open your mesh and check out the UV room, hit "Clear Clusters". The clusters function no longer really serves a purpose in 3DC, and should be removed from the application altogether.

Now check all of your seams, make sure they are continuous and do not have any "openings" that would connect the islands you do not wish to have connected.

Try unwrapping, and report your results.

If you do get the same unwanted results, clear your UV seams and try again with new seams.

• Advanced Member

First try clearing the 3DC config file and restart 3DC (the particular build you're attempting to do this in).

Open your mesh and check out the UV room, hit "Clear Clusters". The clusters function no longer really serves a purpose in 3DC, and should be removed from the application altogether.

Now check all of your seams, make sure they are continuous and do not have any "openings" that would connect the islands you do not wish to have connected.

Try unwrapping, and report your results.

If you do get the same unwanted results, clear your UV seams and try again with new seams.

Weird....

I went to Users/My Documents/3DCoat V3/ and deleted the Options file (after I made a backup of it) and then restarted 3.5.20 and reloaded my project as you mentioned and then went to UV room and cleared clusters and then clicked Unwrap (initially though I clicked Update Islands and it did the same thing tangled as before so I Undo'ed and then did Unwrap) and it worked!!

post-2650-0-71421900-1307591967.jpg

Why did this happen? And also, for some reason the Unwrap when it did work (as opposed to every time I tried it before deleting Options.xml) was MUCH faster - it took like < 5 sec on my quad core here, when it took over 1 min when it was giving the tangled UVs back before....

What's the deal with this? Why does the options file change the way functions work?

Anyway - thanks for helping me figure this out! :)

post-2650-0-71421900-1307591967_thumb.jp

Glad to hear it worked!

Well, except for that crash, lol. I've been having a fair amount of crashes doing UV work in 3.5.20, too. I haven't quite pinpointed the bug yet. If you can reproduce it let us know! It's definitely one I want to see squashed.

• Advanced Member

Glad to hear it worked!

Well, except for that crash, lol. I've been having a fair amount of crashes doing UV work in 3.5.20, too. I haven't quite pinpointed the bug yet. If you can reproduce it let us know! It's definitely one I want to see squashed.

At the moment, it is quite reproducible as it happens everytime I hit Apply UV set on that .3b file. So it does seem like a bug to me.

I am going to try and load the model fresh into 3dCoat and re-seam it and try again - I'll let you know what the new file does...

• Advanced Member

At the moment, it is quite reproducible as it happens everytime I hit Apply UV set on that .3b file. So it does seem like a bug to me.

I am going to try and load the model fresh into 3dCoat and re-seam it and try again - I'll let you know what the new file does...

After deleting Options.xml and restarting, I import a fresh model in and re-seam it and hit unwrap, then it unwraps fine, and crashes on Apply UV set again.

My model has 3 uv sets originally from LW - it has one for Eyeballs, Head, and Body. I tried to edit one or two of them in 3DC and it dies...

• Reputable Contributor

I have sent the .3b file through so hopefully Andrew can have a look at it soon. I will post the results if any. Thanks again everyone for your assistance.

I've noticed that 3DC has been a bit buggy when working with multiple UV sets. I don't know that it's been ironed out yet, so it's good to send Andrew another example.

The problem appears because 2 types of meshes are mixed in the scene - ppp and reperence mesh.

To solve problem delete 2 probematoc objects - hair and wand. They are ref meshes.

You may import them later as ppp meshes. After all that manipulations Apply UV will work as expected.

In next build 3dc will not crash even in th case of "mixing".

• Advanced Member

The problem appears because 2 types of meshes are mixed in the scene - ppp and reperence mesh.

To solve problem delete 2 probematoc objects - hair and wand. They are ref meshes.

You may import them later as ppp meshes. After all that manipulations Apply UV will work as expected.

In next build 3dc will not crash even in th case of "mixing".

Thank you very much for looking into it. Can you or someone briefly elaborate what a ppp and a reference mesh is?

This is a mildly complex character rig which contains around 8 layers (one as bones) and multiple UV maps. Some layers don't have UV coords associated with them since I am toon shading them in the game with flat colors, but the body, dress, head, and eyes do have UV coords. I assume a ppp is a mesh that has UV coords and a ref mesh doesn't have them?

I will try to make an object without the ref meshes and try again and then put them back in in LW after exporting from 3DC.