3DCoat Forums

Kinect 3D scanning

I got a Kinect yesterday and downloaded Brekel Kinect which is mainly for mocap, but also can save 3D renders. So I took a number of shots of myself and merged them together in Meshlab. That's gives you a watertight model So I loaded it into 3DC.

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=130764430764

Not full models, it can only do one angle of course since the Kinect is only one camera. So with the arm you can see I had my wireless mouse in my hand and I would click the button on it to take a "3D picture", turn myself a little, click, turn, click, etc. until I got all the way around. Then I used Meshlab to delete all the background of my living room and combine all of the meshes into one object

I had to be very careful as I turned so that I stayed in the same pose and hopefully even the wrinkles on my shirt stayed the same.

Yes I could have also been standing close to the camera, but I didn't know that would be better until after. Also the Kinect is not very high resolution, so a laser scan would have far better results. This might be more convenient though for a large object like a car or motorcycle.