3DCoat Forums

3DCoat Linux Trial and Intel GMA ?

Cremuss

Hi.

I just discovered 3dcoat and it seems to be a really really great tool to integrate in my workflow along blender and gimp.

So I tried the trial version for linux (I don't have any other OS) and I have some weird problem on my old laptop (my only pc).

http://cremuss.free.fr/.aw/3dcoatGuiBug.jpg

I guess the problem is my very old and poor graphic card : intel gma 945 :S

Think is I don't need more power since I do very lowpoly stuff with handpainted textures so I don't really want to buy a laptop just for 3d coat =)

I also tried the windows (32&64bits) version through wine but still no way. The software is crashing at start.

Any ideas ?

Is 3d coat supposed to run on my intel card ?

Thank you !

PS : congratulations on making 3dcoat cross-plateform, it's so great to see that ! Keep it up !

Erm, yeah that's a slightly older video card. I am pretty sure that it wont cut the mustard unfortunately... Any chance of picking up even a slightly newer laptop than what you have now for it? You might be able to get one for pretty cheap on ebay or something. Reason I mention it is, because I was running 3DC on my older laptop for quite a while that had an Intel 965 and that ran "OK" (it was slow, but got low poly stuff done just fine), but I think anything less than that and it would have died out in a puff of smoke! :p You might be able to get a laptop with the 965 and be OK too.

Just my two bits. Good luck!!

• Contributor

The issue with old gma chipsets (and maybe more recent one) is that 3d acceleration is non existent or at the strict minimum, I can't even run maya on that chip, it simply won't install (min requirements not there). So I don't think 3dcoat is an option, it's pity since the painting side could definitely run on that hardware.

Humm ok thanks for your replies.

Too bad it won't run on this card since I just need the painting feature of 3dcoat actually.

Anyway I'll have to buy a new laptop in order to play Diablo 3.. so we'll see then ! :D

Thank you for your time.

Wish you a nice day, cya !