3DCoat Forums

I don't think it is important for the name to describe what the application does. For example:

Modo

Silo

XSI

Maya

Lightwave

Carrara

Bryce

Hexagon

Houdini

Rhino

None of those names are descriptive, but they are unique and memorable. The term "3D" has been overused, I recommend avoiding it completely. I think you should consider the things that have been important to you as an individual, and use one of those as the name. Perhaps a significant person or place. I suggest a single word with 3 syllables or less, and no more than 7 letters.

3D-Harvest

Layer Harvest

3D-Feast

Pixel Harvest 3D

Dream Catcher

Layer Genie

LayerGenie3D

MapMagic

MapMagic3D

MapGenie

MapGenie3D

PaintMagic

PaintMagic3D

PaintGenie

PaintGenie3D

VertexGenie

VertexGenie3D

I tried..... :wacko:

Chuck

• Advanced Member
I don't think it is important for the name to describe what the application does. For example:

Modo

Silo

XSI

Maya

Lightwave

Carrara

Bryce

Hexagon

Houdini

Rhino

None of those names are descriptive, but they are unique and memorable. The term "3D" has been overused, I recommend avoiding it completely. I think you should consider the things that have been important to you as an individual, and use one of those as the name. Perhaps a significant person or place. I suggest a single word with 3 syllables or less, and no more than 7 letters.

I agree only because those are more general purpose application so there names don't have to be tied in to what the product does. But something like texturing/sculpting application needs a nice name, that doesn't sound lame or cheap, something decent.

I used to beta test for "Hexagon" during the beta testing phase, it was called Shaper. I remember when the developed decided to call it Hexagon, most beta tester didn't like it at the time.

As for 3d-brush,So far i like:

Digi Paint

3D Paint

i mean it is a painting application first and foremost !? :P

I like

Digipaint

Claypaint

Paintbox :)

ClayPaint sounds nice also, Clay = Sculpting , Paint = Texturing (it describe 3D brush will).

PaintBox == sued by Autodesk lol. Just as 3dBrush == sued by Pixologic. Jokes aside, maybe Andrew can setup a poll and see which name people likes more?

bit means - piece, something around, carve (tip, drill) , simpe elementary unit

Andrew

I agree with some of the other viewers, you created the program, you should pick a name you like and move forward. The program is great and getting better. Poeple who want to buy the program will do so because of all the great features not the name. So lets move forward and see what else you cook up.

Thanks Chuck :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member
Poeple who want to buy the program will do so because of all the great features not the name. So lets move forward and see what else you cook up.

If the world worked this way, we wouldn't be using 1/2 the products we use today. Your brand name is your first impression. If your logo, your name, your interface all look cheap and thrown together, it hurts the perception people have of your product.

If I build a restaurant and name it "Barf on a plate" it won't matter how good the food is, I've already handicapped my success. I'll have to rely on word of mouth overcoming the barrier to entry I've created. Why do you think people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a logo? Look at what happened to Newtek when they unveiled their new marketing plan with a very 1990's grunge look - people ripped it apart.

Why create a barrier in the market if you can avoid it?

If the world worked this way, we wouldn't be using 1/2 the products we use today. Your brand name is your first impression. If your logo, your name, your interface all look cheap and thrown together, it hurts the perception people have of your product.

If I build a restaurant and name it "Barf on a plate" it won't matter how good the food is, I've already handicapped my success. I'll have to rely on word of mouth overcoming the barrier to entry I've created. Why do you think people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a logo? Look at what happened to Newtek when they unveiled their new marketing plan with a very 1990's grunge look - people ripped it apart.

Why create a barrier in the market if you can avoid it?

Your logic is like apples and oranges. To have a product and apply a name to that product one must apply sound logic. That being said no company on earth is going to spend a lot of time renaming a already successful product. There is no way you are going to get a large group of people to agree on one name, that is the main point. As for barf on a plate that may at least describe the type of business. How about Yahoo or Mozilla would you know they were search engines just by the name if you weren't already aware that they were? Or better yet how about Lightwave or Maya(3D programs) or Maestro(rigging plug in).

As for me I have faith that Andrew will come up with a useful name, even if it is a name I would have not named it, I promise not to ask for my money back or stop using the software because of the name.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, As others have stated, product quality is first but a good name helps people remember your product. 3D Bit sounds like a tool to me but my background is in the construction trade. I wish you the very best in finding a name that describes your product. Thanks for making this great program.

• Advanced Member
Your logic is like apples and oranges. To have a product and apply a name to that product one must apply sound logic. That being said no company on earth is going to spend a lot of time renaming a already successful product. There is no way you are going to get a large group of people to agree on one name, that is the main point. As for barf on a plate that may at least describe the type of business. How about Yahoo or Mozilla would you know they were search engines just by the name if you weren't already aware that they were? Or better yet how about Lightwave or Maya(3D programs) or Maestro(rigging plug in).

As for me I have faith that Andrew will come up with a useful name, even if it is a name I would have not named it, I promise not to ask for my money back or stop using the software because of the name.

I think you're misunderstanding my meaning. I'm not talking about existing customers suddenly returning money. I'm talking about creating a barrier to entry. I agree with you - Yahoo and Mozilla are terrible names. Yahoo is mainly known because they spent a boatload of money on commercials in the 90's with the yodeling jingle. Mozilla is still not known by the general public. Lightwave at least is both an interesting name and relates to what it does. Maestro means conductor, so it is slightly related.

What I'm talking about is a barrier to entry for people who've never heard of the product and have never used it. If it sounds cheap you've instantly developed an impression in people's minds. Again, that's why people spend tens of thousands of dollars on logo design. That's why companies spend millions upon millions on branding strategies.

• Advanced Member

I think personally that making the name too reflective of the job makes the product sound generic. I mean consider these names Maya, XSI, Modo, Lightwave, Max, Silo, Crazybump ^^

They don't mean a thing but we all remember or know most of them as 3d programs. I personally like program names to be a little more abstract than "3D-Your name here". It just needs to be short and catchy.

• Advanced Member

If you ask me, drop the '3D' part and just give it a remarkable name.

Right know I like the sound and the vision in my head for the word 'Ivory'

Things like '3D sculpter' or 'Normalpaintsoftware 3D' are way too pragmatic, it should have a nice feeling to it. It's not just a utility for 5$, this is here to stay and it needs a name, not a description of it's basic functions.

mike

3D-Bit1.jpg

I'm already using "Bit" :lol: :lol:

Chuck

"2Bit" in reference to the parable of the poor woman who gave all she had in worship, NOT in reference to the one on the corner who charges a "fee" for what she provides.....

oh.... wait.... :huh:

"Digi Paint" was a paint program by NewTek (makers of Lightwave) in the early days of the Amiga computer. I think I was the first one to buy it as soon as it was introduced.

Chuck

Yahoo is mainly known because they spent a boatload of money on commercials in the 90's with the yodeling jingle.

A "Yahoo" is what the tribe of horses called humans in Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver'sTravels (1726).

Wikipedia-Gulliver's_Travels, Part_IV

Chuck

• Advanced Member
"3D-BI" is OK.

I am not too sure about that one.

I think people may ridicule that name.

Now I don't have any issues with peoples sexual orientation but "bi" usualy refers to people who "swing both ways" if you know what I mean ;) and there are some small minded people out there.

Marc Wakefield

http://www.marcwakefield.co.uk