3DCoat Forums

Lightwave Import for AutoTopo

Rob

I have a decent mesh to import into 3DCoat to Auto-Topologize, but once done all of the features in the mesh are an absolute blurry mess. This makes the auto-topo process sort of useless. Of course, I'm probably doing something wrong, based upon seeing the example video - my scene looks nothing like that, by the way. The lighting is glaring and the first step doesn't shadow properly.

If you can point me to another thread or give some ideas why this is such a mess, please help.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I have a decent mesh to import into 3DCoat to Auto-Topologize, but once done all of the features in the mesh are an absolute blurry mess. This makes the auto-topo process sort of useless. Of course, I'm probably doing something wrong, based upon seeing the example video - my scene looks nothing like that, by the way. The lighting is glaring and the first step doesn't shadow properly.

If you can point me to another thread or give some ideas why this is such a mess, please help.

Since Autopo doesn't work yet on reference meshes (only Voxel objects), you would need to merge your model into Voxels and give the layer enough resolution to capture all the detail. If it doesn't, UNDO and retry with an added level of resolution (repeat until it looks correct). Then you can start the Autopo wizard and draw strokes where you want to define the edgeflow.

Thank you so much. I'll try this and post the results.

Since Autopo doesn't work yet on reference meshes (only Voxel objects), you would need to merge your model into Voxels and give the layer enough resolution to capture all the detail. If it doesn't, UNDO and retry with an added level of resolution (repeat until it looks correct). Then you can start the Autopo wizard and draw strokes where you want to define the edgeflow.

Where do I find the way to "merge [my] model into Voxels and give the layer enough resolution to capture all the detail."?

Another question - why does my interface show such glaring light (see attachment)? It's nothing like what I see in the video here or elsewhere.

post-6163-0-74459100-1310233304_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Where do I find the way to "merge [my] model into Voxels and give the layer enough resolution to capture all the detail."?

Another question - why does my interface show such glaring light (see attachment)? It's nothing like what I see in the video here or elsewhere.

Check the first few icons in your navigation bar...in the same location as LW's (upper right hand corner of the viewport).

Hope this helps explain merging a model into voxels, snapping the original low poly mesh to the finished voxel model, using it as your retopo mesh, and then move it to the paint room. In your case, you don't want to use the original. You want to use Autopo to generate your Retopo mesh. There is a "Res+" button at the bottom of the tool bar, plus you can also increase resolution with an icon at the bottom of the vox tree panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0-bZKNrvU

• Reputable Contributor

Okay. Not so good, is it? Should I mention that I do not have a UV yet? Does not having a UV matter?

Any clues why this is so ugly and ripped to pieces?

Click on the button "make mesh closed" and then click the button "Res+" in the tool panel (toward the bottom) before you hit APPLY or the ENTER key. It looks like you don't have enough voxel resolution. Again the merged mesh is just a container. If you don't "fill" it with enough voxels you will not get an accurate representation of the original mesh. Much like pasting a High Res image into a low res image in Photoshop.

I would suggest going to the mainpage (to the tutorial section) or even the tutorials section in the forums, to cover the areas that you are using. Otherwise you'll be back here with more problems. 3D Coat isn't that difficult to learn, but you can't just dive in and expect to get good results without a decent grasp of how things work. It has some peculiar methods, which I mentioned in that video...such as having the gizmo and mesh still visible after you hit APPLY (because 3D Coat assumes you want to stay in the tool until you choose something else). In 3ds Max, you can drop a tool by right-clicking an open area in the viewport.

Coming from Lightwave, though, you should have an easier time than someone coming from an Autodesk application, as 3DC has a lot of LW-centric functions and UI elements.

I'll try this sometime tonight, if our area doesn't lose our electricity again. Lost it twice yesterday, due to the heat.

Good advice to check out the tutorials. I must not have found the correct section to learn this piece.

Thanks for your attention. I'll put all of this to good use soon.

Click on the button "make mesh closed" and then click the button "Res+" in the tool panel (toward the bottom) before you hit APPLY or the ENTER key. It looks like you don't have enough voxel resolution. Again the merged mesh is just a container. If you don't "fill" it with enough voxels you will not get an accurate representation of the original mesh. Much like pasting a High Res image into a low res image in Photoshop.

I would suggest going to the mainpage (to the tutorial section) or even the tutorials section in the forums, to cover the areas that you are using. Otherwise you'll be back here with more problems. 3D Coat isn't that difficult to learn, but you can't just dive in and expect to get good results without a decent grasp of how things work. It has some peculiar methods, which I mentioned in that video...such as having the gizmo and mesh still visible after you hit APPLY (because 3D Coat assumes you want to stay in the tool until you choose something else). In 3ds Max, you can drop a tool by right-clicking an open area in the viewport.

Coming from Lightwave, though, you should have an easier time than someone coming from an Autodesk application, as 3DC has a lot of LW-centric functions and UI elements.

• Reputable Contributor

Looks better. Thanks for the assistance.

Glad to help. Don't think I was trying to discourage you from asking questions here, but the tutorials are much better at explaining and demonstrating things than we can in the forum. With that said, anytime you're in a jam, don't hesitate to ask for help.