3DCoat Forums

testing 64bit macbuild+cycles

michalis

• Advanced Member

Testing the latest 64bit build for OSX.

Just a cube, retopo, all other sculpting in paint and sculpt room (zbrush like method - MV)

Rendered in blender cycles, color and displacement maps only, (disp and color map used also as bumps after some disp-subdivisions)

rockCy.jpg

• Advanced Member

@michalis

always good stuff!

i have a doubt now:

how would you get a displacemap from a voxel sculpt to a low poly retopo?

if i merge to pixel paint i only get the normalmap but how to get displace?by microverts?how?or texture baking?any ideas?

• Advanced Member

thanks,

this took five mins in 3dc, just baked this known shader and painted bumps in paint room (in MV mode, painting bumps means sculpting - like in zbrush).

This is true, now we have to jump in sculpt room to use grab or other tool on a low poly mesh and back to paint room to work with similar to zb alphas.

Why two separated rooms then? Depending on what low base you ask when baking to MV room, we have a hidden multi res engine. Why so?

3DC could be the best sculpting app. Just this is missing and a much better behavior of the tools. A sculptris like behavior.

If I was trying to sculpt these bumps in voxels or even LC modes, then retopo... I could spent 1 hour, not 5 mins. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

I post it here.

A test: Portrait sculpted in Sculptris ~350K.

Merged as voxels ~10M. Everything fine and crisp details so far (same as the original mesh).

Autoretopo (using loops and some fixes), UVs (manually)

Baked in MV mode (2048x2048 maps)

Exported as hi as possible density mesh in zbrush.

Reconstructed subs. Fine but these's a significant lose of crispness.

Another one:

just exported the retopo cage+UVs.

Subdivided and Reprojected it on the original sculptris mesh.

A perfect capture of crispness.

But

These two methods captured all these tri artifacts of dynamic tessellation-sculptris.

What will happen after implementation of Raul's LC is another matter of discussion.

A question: does this lose of details in MV mode has to do with the maps resolution? But I didn't use the map (or I did after all? Andrew should answer this)

I attached the two cases above (have a look), a 3dcoat renderer of the baked MV mesh and the autopo cage.

BTW I opened the mouth just to help retopology, I'll close it later LOL

post-2454-0-29221900-1310744736_thumb.jp

post-2454-0-19916400-1310744738_thumb.jp

post-2454-0-16929000-1310744740_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Great news Andrew.

Merging to voxels produced an excellent mesh anyway.

BTW all these aren't of much importance as I have to resculpt, smooth, (zbrush is great as I can mask cavity) so to eliminate the triangulated effect from dyn-tessellation- sculptris.

We'll face this major issue in 3dcoat, in the near future I guess. I can't think a way to avoid this.

• Advanced Member

This is the loss of details, that we're talking about.

You may notice the inside mouth area, where the dynamic tessellation is visible. How can we handle this? Except resculpting these areas after retopo?

post-2454-0-29563800-1310926989_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Long time to sculpt in voxels. Except some fast tests in OSX 64 bit build.

Here, trying to learn the basics again. I love voxels, great performance at 12M and cutting cutting the stone lol.

A WIP started yesterdays, when doodling for 2 hours.

Question: Still vox mode but after jumping to surf mode for more crispness, after retopo or anything, how can I adopt this possible crispness? Baking displ maps (MV) results to smooth meshes, exporting hi density to zb (if possible) and reprojecting, leads to resculpting details. So what's the use of hi density voxels and/or surface modes? Always wanted to ask this question.

Question 2: I keep his mouth opened for easier retopo. How can I close it after these? In another app? But I need some sculpting there, then in ZB? When should I brake symmetry? Now? Not nice for retopo, after? where? in zbrush again?

romTest1.jpg

Michalis:

Actually, the "Drag Points" tool in the Sculpt Room works nicely, if you position the "anchor" dots correctly and make them the right size. Larger dots influence more vertices, (like a magnet tool).

It's an interesting tool and really has lots of potential.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

eh, and do some sculpting after closing the mouth. It's complicated. :)

But my major problem is the lost crispness, no matter what workaround I'll follow.

Another doodle, portrait of a friend, this done in sculptris, just retopo and UVs in 3dc, glasses and shirt by blender (adopted from another project). Rendered under BPR zb. Ready for cycles.

dimitris2.jpg

and a real watercolor in front of the subject.

WatercoloursV2135.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thank you Garagarape! What you can do by traditional materials and by your own hands has to be done this way.

Last night having some fun, this one came. The 64 bit mac build liberated me. Great performance at 25 M

I know, mouth has some problems but I'll fix it after closing it.

romandec.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Here testing a workflow. The beer can modeled using merge and booleans with some splines help. Instances then, merged as one mesh and exported as decimated tri mesh. Final sculpting in sculptris, exported in zbrush, final composition, fast painting and rendering there.

the voxels

cans.jpg

imported in sculptris

canssc.jpg

BPR zbrush

cHS2.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks Garagarape

When sculpting these, I need to brake symmetry as soon as possible. But, you know what this means. This is my problem with 3dc. The absence of a decent sculpt room. Zb is always waiting. Just saying.

But something is wrong in these possible workflows, I feel it.

Anyway, a question: I constructed these cans using instances. I retopo'ed one. Then what? Do I have to re-compose the whole scene? I would like to paint them as one single mesh. And maybe deform them as one single mesh. I need one UV map.

Just to inform you, I had all this beer during last weekend. Not in good mood, you can guess.

• Advanced Member

I had these beers LOL and some nightmares...

A kind of rhinocerus, a workinprogress, influences from the brilliant Dürer's drawing. Not a naturalist approach, always fascinating with drawings of great artists who had never seen these creatures.

rhinoD.jpg

• Advanced Member

A great artist wow, in a paralel cosmos probably, as all of us.

thanks chris_solo, moska.

Still working using sculptris and waiting LC fine tools. It'a matter of time I guess.

How easily I can block parts, cut or join them in 3dc.

What I'll try here is to stay in surface mode. I'll probably remesh all in one and bring it back for hi LC details and baking.

3dc , a swiss army knife they say. Because of the lack of an after retopo sculpting room.

rhino5.jpg

• Advanced Member

Another study and another test.

Started in voxels (curves, cuts) and some sculpting. hands spread (you know why). Exported to sculptris as tris and zbrush for grouping and setting a pose.

Still in symmetry (retopo friendly).

Now I have to spread hands again to retopo.

car1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Inspired from L'Ancien Regime's anatomy project.

Here almost the opposite approach.

Digging Michelangelo's drawings, always wanted to do this. Never quite understood this master. Anatomy here is used for organizing what I see.

Nothing precise, I mean. How could it be. Are the bones, the muscles, the composition needs, the pose?

The pose... this man was a bit crazy, so, a master.

Voxels at ~500 k (I love the behavior of 3dc vox tools on this resolution, performance is great up to millions but not the tools behavior)

then dynamesh and zb render.

ma_study_1.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks Garagarape

When sculpting these, I need to brake symmetry as soon as possible. But, you know what this means. This is my problem with 3dc. The absence of a decent sculpt room. Zb is always waiting. Just saying.

But something is wrong in these possible workflows, I feel it.

Anyway, a question: I constructed these cans using instances. I retopo'ed one. Then what? Do I have to re-compose the whole scene? I would like to paint them as one single mesh. And maybe deform them as one single mesh. I need one UV map.

Just to inform you, I had all this beer during last weekend. Not in good mood, you can guess.

That's unreal work and I love the direction you're calling for in workflow development.