3DCoat Forums

3d coat and memory

jcue

Hello,

I've been using 3d Coat for about a few months and I'm having no problems.

I'm just wondering if my computer will be able to handle 3d coat once I start making more complex models.

Here's what I'm running:

i7 920

nvidia gtx 470 1.25gig (w/ cuda)

and 6 gigs of memory.

Should I increase my memory?

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Hello,

I've been using 3d Coat for about a few months and I'm having no problems.

I'm just wondering if my computer will be able to handle 3d coat once I start making more complex models.

Here's what I'm running:

i7 920

nvidia gtx 470 1.25gig (w/ cuda)

and 6 gigs of memory.

Should I increase my memory?

Thank you

Because 3D Coat scales with your hardware, you will see limitations with 6GB's faster and more often than you would if you had, let's say 12-24GB. I have 16, and on some models with lots of secondary objects, it can add up quickly. However, smart usage of the tools in the Voxel sculpting room, will help you steer around the need for greater amounts. Tools like "Cache to disk" which works in conjunction with the Multi-Res functionality. Also, using the Split tool to divide your model into discreet sections/layers and either caching the ones your aren't actively working on, or saving those layers out to .3b file (right-click the layer in the Vox Tree and choose to save to .3b file), and deleting them from the scene until you need them.

Lot's of ways of making 3D Coat more efficient with your resources. Having said that, the more you want to push 3D Coat, the more RAM you want to have. LiveClay is also, making the need for RAM much lower, but until we see it's sibling in the Voxel Volume mode (Subcells), it has limited applications. For now, I would suggest saving all the uber high detail for the last step in your workflow, and then, use LiveClay. This way you can bake straight from Surface mode...no need to return to voxel volume (cube icon in your vox-tree layer).