3DCoat Forums

New to 3DC

fusedgore

Hello I am new to 3dc just testing it out and I been trying a few things and first off this thing is pretty f.. awesome .Though i do have a few questions regarding importing from other packages or decimated from zbrush .When i import a mesh that has a hole in it why does 3d coat try and fill the hole ,or when i bring in a higher resolution model does the geo get weireded out .When i say weired out it just has stuff everywhere .I am on the demo and i wonder if thats the issue .

I also tried importing as a reference mesh and that worked really well .Then I redrew my lines to create my topo but now how do i take and have it automaticlly create my topo like if I import as a autotopo mesh .

Hello I am new to 3dc just testing it out and I been trying a few things and first off this thing is pretty f.. awesome .Though i do have a few questions regarding importing from other packages or decimated from zbrush .When i import a mesh that has a hole in it why does 3d coat try and fill the hole ,or when i bring in a higher resolution model does the geo get weireded out .When i say weired out it just has stuff everywhere .I am on the demo and i wonder if thats the issue .

I also tried importing as a reference mesh and that worked really well .Then I redrew my lines to create my topo but now how do i take and have it automaticlly create my topo like if I import as a autotopo mesh .

I guess my question is how can i turn the lines that I drew on my reference mesh into auto retopo .Or is that not possible inside 3d coat.

It's hard to say why an imported mesh may not import properly. There are issues with Sketchup and a few others.

Normally, when you import a mesh for retopo work, it is merged into Voxel space, first - and you should always aim for the highest resolution import that your system can support - larger physical voxel area corresponds to higher voxel resolution - so use the "scale" tool to enlarge your imported mesh so that it nearly fills the viewport.

Once any/all modifications are done to your imported mesh in Voxel space, use AUTOPO from the Voxel right click menu - adding density shading and guidelines in the following steps as indicated in the dialogs.

But, we will need more detail to determine why you particular mesh is not importing properly. Make sure you are using the latest beta build for your system.

Greg Smith

Ok here is the mesh imported as the autotopo

2312.jpg

But when I import as a reference mesh or go to file import as reference mesh there are no weird issues .But if I then draw my lines i cannot autotopo or dont know how .Is there a way if i import as a reference mesh to have 3d coat autoretopo like i can if i import as auto retopo .

So any advice on how i can create the auto retopo from lines on a reference mesh .Like with the autotopo wizard .If not thats ok cause i can just use that to topo over the areas that need it .

There is on important thing to remember: Currently, AUTOPO works ONLY with Voxels(!)

That means that you have to merge your mesh into Voxel Room. Another nuance here is that the mesh should be "water tight" (no holes).

You may post some test mesh and will show you what you can do with it.