39 members have voted

1. 1. Agree?

• It is even better then 3D-Brush
    • I agree
    • Disagree
    • Never, it is ugly name

I think it should be the final name

3D-COAT.jpg

Coat means "to cover something with a layer of a particular substance" so it well correspods to what 3D-Brush makes. Please tell if you like the new name. Today we had a conversation with lawyers, so we really need to change the name. There is no chance to remain the name 3D-Brush. I was slightly angry on all that laws and trademrks... So, we must do it quickly.

Of cause, logo will be made in 3D, like 3D-Brush

• Advanced Member
I liked the simplicity of just 3DB so 3DC would be just as good for me also..

(Andrew, it's lawyers who write the laws!)

Yes, but it's not worth taking a big financial loss over a product name. While they may write the laws, they also know them and (hopefully) advise accordingly.

The main thing is, we have a very nice program at a great price, that the developer is really improving and supporting -- what more can we ask for?

So, 3D-Coat works fine for me. I suspect we will refer to it as 3DC anyway, and that has a nice sound (rhymes.) :)

• Advanced Member
The main thing is, we have a very nice program at a great price, that the developer is really improving and supporting -- what more can we ask for?

So, 3D-Coat works fine for me. I suspect we will refer to it as 3DC anyway, and that has a nice sound (rhymes.) :)

Agree 100% While i like 3dbrush name, but if there is nothing to do and you HAVE to rename it, 3D-Coat sounds OK to me. Anyway is much better then 3d gem.

• Advanced Member

Perhaps it's only my part of the US that speaks this way, but when someone says "Coat" I think of a winter jacket, not a coating. But again, that might be a regional dialect like pop versus soda. We do say something "needs a coat of paint" but the word "coat" by itself means a winter jacket here.

If someone said "3D Coat" to me, I would think it's a DAZ or Poser product for dressing up the models they sell.

• Contributor

regional dialect like pop versus soda

True--to both!

In Australia both terms are very "American"!

How does 'Soft drink" sound to you?

It's a funny world.

(Basically, we would mostly consider Coat as "cover" as as in "give the wall a coat of paint" etc.)

Brian

• Advanced Member
I think only native english speakers should vote. I'm not.

I dont think so. Name should be clear to anyone, native speakers or not. 3dbrush is good example of clear name, its can't be misunderstand, anyone who knows english a little will get the idea. 3dcoat is not so clear, not-native speakers can get it wrong (take me for example, untill yesterday i thought coat is a cloth)

Thats why i suggested a clear names, like 3d-pen or 3d-layer, but its not my decision at the end, if devs like this 3d-coat name i can live with it, i want to see new features in software, is more important to me, so i agree with 3d-coat.

• Advanced Member

Of course the other idea would be to move completely away from a specific set of English words all together. Either by using a foreign language word or pseudo words like are currently popular in the web 2.0 world (aka Flickr, Pownce, Digsby, Twitter, etc.)

Such as:

Edgefire

Zoodle

Eivue

Nsphere

Andrew;

I would say to move forward, coat is fine. I am as about US as you can get (Arizona). I understand the word coat and for those who do not check this out. http://encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_/coat.html The new Lightwave 9.5 beta will be out shortly and it would be nice to have you latest version to interact with, to make sure there are no problems.

• Advanced Member

:/ I love this product and its developers are top notch but that is a dreadfull name. you may as well call it 3D@Jacket

This notion of holding onto 3d in the name is holding you back. A name dosnt have to be explicitly descriptive of the product, being memorable is far more.

important. We all know what Maya and XSI are, their names speak nothing about the product.. they are however catchy. 3D-Brush sounded Generic and cheap IMHO, but 3d Coat is baad. The idea of coating the model is nice but i think you need to ditch the word 3D and push it further. I mean coating artisticly

could be Laquering, Enameling.. I dunno but 3d coat for me sucks

Again this is nothing personal.

• Advanced Member

Its an ugly name but names tend to grow on you after a while. The first time I heard lightwave I said what the heck is that? i was coming from discreet 3d studio max and at that time the name 3d studio max was exactly what I would think a 3d program would have. Fast forward and lightwave is ok. So is maya, cinema 4d, xsi. what does xsi stand for anyway? and who cares anyway?

Did anyone suggest 3D CLAY???

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, I would not worry about your program being known as "3D Goat" , it sounded like american way of joking because in all probability he does not like your new name. I think in the long run most english people will just refer to your program unoffically as 3DC when conversing in e-mail, forums etc. The word,Yahoo, which now is famous, is considered a Hillbilly's word [an uneducated person] .The word 'Yahoo' is a slang term for yelling a great distance in America.Your program delivers the goods[another american slang LOL].When people talk about or review your program, 3D Coat, will be associated with quality.

Gotta say I agree with Roger K. 3D-Coat just doesn't grab me and, at the end of the day you need a name that is memorable and unique if you want people to go away from any advert and recall/make the effort to find the name of the software they just read about.

• Advanced Member
:/ I love this product and its developers are top notch but that is a dreadfull name. you may as well call it 3D@Jacket

This notion of holding onto 3d in the name is holding you back. A name dosnt have to be explicitly descriptive of the product, being memorable is far more.

important. We all know what Maya and XSI are, their names speak nothing about the product.. they are however catchy. 3D-Brush sounded Generic and cheap IMHO, but 3d Coat is baad. The idea of coating the model is nice but i think you need to ditch the word 3D and push it further. I mean coating artisticly

could be Laquering, Enameling.. I dunno but 3d coat for me sucks

Again this is nothing personal.

Gotta agree with everything you wrote here... which is why I wrote:

Of course the other idea would be to move completely away from a specific set of English words all together. Either by using a foreign language word or pseudo words like are currently popular in the web 2.0 world (aka Flickr, Pownce, Digsby, Twitter, etc.)

Such as:

Edgefire

Zoodle

Eivue

Nsphere

Why not come up with a totally non 3D name that is catchy? Personally I love Edgefire and NSphere, but that's just me.

• Advanced Member

haha, Paulrus, zoodle sounds german (something like spilling, mostly blood). I hopy nobody comes up with 'Shice' cause that's if pronounced english, the german word for sh1t.

from you selection I like edgefire the most.

I vote for dropping '3D' and giving this baby a cool name.

mike

• Advanced Member

Lets call it Raptor. Anything to do with dinosaurs is gonna be cool by Default ;)

How about a historical name, or something mythical(egyptian, greek). using a name that is aready familiar to people and has the romantisism attached to a myth or historical person/event might be a nice idea.

Dont you have a cool Russian name for it Andrew? perhaps character set could cause problems with that tho. I wouldnt worry about the language difference so long as its catchy and easy to pronounce and spell

• Advanced Member
Dont you have a cool Russian name for it Andrew? perhaps character set could cause problems with that tho. I wouldnt worry about the language difference so long as its catchy and easy to pronounce and spell

YES! A great idea.

For example, Panasonic's best TV line is called the Kuro line. Kuro means black in Japanese. But I guarantee 99% of the people in America have no idea what it means - it just looks and sound "cool".

Something similar in Russian might work well.

Let me know if for some reason you want some Japanese words Andrew - my wife is Japanese.

Paul